What's new

Opinions on Voice over IP Services (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've been considering switching to a VOIP service and cancelling my expensive phone service. I currently have comcast for broadband support. The two services I've been looking at are Vonnage and Lingo. Anyone have experience with VOIP Services and these two providers?

Thanks Guys

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I've been researching it lately myself. From what I've seen, VoicePulse looks to be the best available. You might want to add it to your list.

Jamie Campbell

Auditioning
Dave,

There are a couple of things you might want to think about before going to VOIP:

1. Most VOIP services don't automatically provide your location to a 911 operator.

2. Unless you buy VOIP from your cable or DSL provider, you won't get a Quality of Service guarantee. (And most cable and DSL providers won't either.

Vonage makes a great second phone line.

One DSL provider that DOES provide a QoS guarantee and 911 is Speakeasy, but they're somewhat more expensive ($49.00 for 1.5M/256K ADSL, $5.00 for One-Link and $29.00 for VOIP.) and they don't let you use your VOIP when you're away from home.

Jamie

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Most of them will do this, but you have to register your location with the VoIP company. So it's up to you to remember to do that. Also, if you move or are using it from another location, you would have to remember to re-register.

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
I've been very happy with my Vonage service since switching last June/July. It's been very dependable for me, and at $27.24 per month (tax incl), it's much more economical than my comparable (and former) Verizon serive at $67.28 per month.

Vonage made an announcement about a month ago or so that it was spearheading E911 efforts for its service which would take the 911 registration a step further. This improvement wouldo make it the same as any landline to the 911 center where all your info would automatically pop up in front of the operator.

Situations are different, but Vonage has worked great for my needs. Good luck researching.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I went with Vonnage and the kit is on it's way. I did see a way online to register for 911, plus I still have my cell phone. It seemed like a good deal considering what I pay verizon and AT&T for service.

SarahG

Second Unit
I think voip has finally worked out a lot of its kinks. The 911 issue is not really a problem in that you can register your number when you sign up and you will be in the system. So, the idea is that when you call 911, your number will already be in the system and an operator will have it pop up automatically. Quality is good, from my experience. I go through a provider called SunRocket. I paid $200 bucks up front for the year and got everything I need plus two free phones. Pretty good deal and it's worked out well.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
If you can stand poor quality of phone service go with VOIP. I got Vonage and it was comparable to cell phone quality of 5 years ago. I pay the extra few bucks a month for quality phone service.

Maybe you people are used to talking on your cells all the time but I prefer to have crystal clear service when I'm at home.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

VOIP is directly affected by the speed of your broadband internet. If you are only paying for the lowest speed broadband, or if your internet signal is spilt throughout the house then yes your quality will not be great. I have vonage and I think it sounds great. (currently on the Charter 3Meg speed) I have yet to hear complaints of static or poor sound from anyone I've called.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Sorry I disagrre about the quality. I was using Comcast with 3Meg and the quality I was getting was terrible. Like I said it is like analog cell phone quality from 5 years ago. Not for me. Switched to DSL from cable and saved $20 a month and I will keep my landline and pay the extra few $'s a month for now until the technology gets better.

This technology is going to be the future just not for another 5-10 years.

SarahG

Second Unit
Interesting. I haven't had a problem with sound quality at all with SunRocket. It's all been pretty smooth sailing for me. I've talked a few friends with other providers, though, and they have had to contact customer support about quality. After a few adjustments, they have been all set.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I just looked at VoiceWing and it says u have to retain ur landline for ur DSL but u'll be given an extra number for ur VoiP. Now isn't that quite stupid?

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Supposely thats changing in the near future. Supposely Verizon will soon offer naked DSL.

Seen there FTTP setup today and all I can say is please bring it to my neighborhood.

SarahG

Second Unit

I don't really understand that either. It defeats the purpose of going to VoIP all together. My main thing when switching over was to cut cost and that doesn't seem like it cuts cost. Would you still be paying for you land line plus what they charge for the voip?

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Thats why they are looking to go with a naked DSL service. As of right now they cannot offer DSL without POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service), that will change in the very near future.

FTTP is the future though. Wait and see!!

Steve F M

Screenwriter
FTTP ( Fiber To The Prem) or fiber to your home which Verizon is rolling out in many cities across the US.

The capabilities of apps Verizon will have with this rollout is unbelievable. The video portion will be very intersting especially for the HDTV crowd.

Also You will see Dialtone going away with this and Verizon will transform from a telco into a pure Broadband and Video Provider, plus there wireless of course.

VOIP is coming just not yet!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks