Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SHE HATE ME DVD Glitch?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 01:23 PM

I was just watching Spike Lee's SHE HATE ME DVD and noticed a rather odd glitch. Like most DVDs of Sony Picture Classics films, there are no English subtitle options (one of the few labels that doesn't carry them). But, during one scene in the film, they are interviewing people on the street. One person interviewed speaks German and another Spanish. With the subtitles turned off, when they speak, French subtitles pop up for the text. I clicked all the settings and there are only French, Spanish, and I think Portugese subtitles for the film, and for this scene. English subtitles are nowhere to be found, even for this scene that is supposed to have them. I don't know if they just forgot to add them, or why this happened for this one scene, but it was very odd.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 02:59 AM

I didn't see it in the theater so don't know for sure, but in watching the DVD, I think it is intentional. The people are being interviewed by a French news channel (the reporters speak French), so the German and Spanish comments would be subbed in French for the intended French speaking audience (within the movie). I believe this is meant to inform us that "Jack" has become a global phenomenon.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,060 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 03 2005 - 03:42 AM

If I ever get the screener that I requested, I'll take a look. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Larry House

Larry House

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 10:21 AM

I am one of the select group who saw this decidedly odd movie in a theater and am pretty sure that the news story interviews spoken in languages other than English were subtitled in English. But I can't swear to it.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,060 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 04 2005 - 06:22 AM

Yesterday I got the School Daze screener, but no She Hate Me yet. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 06:45 AM

I was watching this a couple of nights ago and it definitely seemed like a glitch. There's another scene earlier in the film where an English word is written on a card (sorry I forget the context), and there's a subtitle translating it into Portuguese.
My art imitates crime.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   WarrenM

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 03:11 PM

Yep, whenever another language other than English is spoken, there is burnt-in french subs!!! Very weird... maybe they mixed up the Quebec release or something. It's definately a flaw, but I don't think any of the foreign dialogue serves an important purpose in the film.

I must say I was quite surprised with the movie though, nowhere near as bad as the reviews suggest. I quite liked it. It was... different. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users