Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do you ever become obsessed with famous dead people?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 09:47 AM

Every once in a while I find out about a famous person, usually an actor, that died and I momentarily become obsessed with them. So I find out about them, read their biogaphies, how they died and so on. I usually find some kind of common ground on which I can relate to the person, whether it's where they lived, died, went to school or so on. I'm not really sure why but I think it's interesting and somehow important not to forget about some of these people. The common factor is that the dead actors I'm often interested in are female and had died at a relatively young age.

Around a year ago or so I became obsessed with Anissa Jones, who starred in the 60's TV show Family Affair.
Posted Image

She was born in 1958 and died in 1976 from a drug overdose. The common factor for me with Anissa was that she lived not too far from where I grew up in L.A. She also attended the same junior high school I did and the same high school my sister did, although many years earlier. Regardless of the differing time periods, I was touched by her life and death, so I became obsessed with Anissa Jones.

Just recently I became aware of an actress named Inger Stevens.
Posted Image

The thing that initiated my obsession with Inger was after watching a movie on TCM(1968's "Madigan")they mentioned that she had died in 1970, the year I was born. The other things that interested me about Inger were that she was born in Stockholm, Sweden- a place I'm planning on moving to in the Spring. She died of a self-inflicted drug overdose/suicide in L.A. and apparently she had attempted suicide before. According to IMDB she also jumped from a crashing airplane before it blew up. When I heard that she died in 1970 I thought wow wouldn't it be a trip if she died in April, the month I was born. Sure enough I found out she died in April 1970, although on the 30th and not the 22nd when I was born.

Another thing that drew me to Inger was that I had seen her in a few movies or perhaps a TV show and I thought she was still alive. So when I discovered she had died so long ago I was kind of surprised and I had to look into it.

Anyone else have any famous dead obsessions?

#2 of 41 Elinor

Elinor

Supporting Actor

• 559 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 10:10 AM

Um. No.

But I get topic obsessed, then move on. And I get obsessed by alive people, then move on.

#3 of 41 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
Do you ever become obsessed with famous dead people?

Nope. Their dead, what's the point?
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#4 of 41 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 04:53 PM

You don't think anything can be gained from knowing about dead people, Ron? Granted their lives might not have been historically significant, I seem to find a few points of interest in their lives that relate to me.

Guess it's just me. Nevermind! Posted Image

#5 of 41 ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 06:29 PM

Interesting that you mentioned Anissa Jones. She died about 2 miles from where I lived in Oceanside.

#6 of 41 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,628 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted February 02 2005 - 11:46 PM

I get obsessed with Silica everytime I see that thread reappear on After Hours!

I see dead silica.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#7 of 41 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 12:32 AM

I've mentioned in other threads how intrigued I am by the overdose death of What's My Line panelist, Dorothy Kilgallen. I wouldn't say obsessed, but I find it interesting when celebs meet untimely ends. I think it revolves around the fact that they leave so much concrete proof of their lives in semi-permanent medium that they often live on many, many years after their deaths.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#8 of 41 Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,298 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 12:51 AM

Mark me down in the "NO" column.

Too many other important things in life to worry about than some dead drug addict.
WOOSAH!.

#9 of 41 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 01:33 AM

Gary, do you SEE dead people? Posted Image

#10 of 41 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,251 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 03 2005 - 02:32 AM

I got kind of obsessed with Audrey Hepburn after her death. Read a couple biographies, started watching all of her movies, buying photo books. She's definitely a favorite still, as evidence by the Breakfast At Tiffany's poster on the wall, but things have calmed down. No one else has drawn my attention like that though. A close one was Tippi Hedren, but she's still alive Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#11 of 41 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 04:25 AM

Well, look at all the people who still make candlelight vigils at Graceland 25+ years after Elvis died. And I recall reading that there's even a "Church of Elvis" - now THAT'S obsessive.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#12 of 41 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 11:00 AM

yeah it is strange, i go to the museum and stare at this lady's image all day. anyone know who she is?

Posted Image

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#13 of 41 Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
yeah it is strange, i go to the museum and stare at this lady's image all day. anyone know who she is?

Well played Posted Image

Ironically, the person I was going to mention is Mr. Hitchcock.

Honorable mention to John Lennon.

#14 of 41 Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 11:42 AM

Something like a celebrity seems so pointless to me since most seem so superfiscial and it seems they usually die of self inflicted gunshot wounds, drug overdoses, or car wrecks driving recklessly thus also being usually the direct opposite of what they portray on screen. I look upon those that changed the world good or ill, historical figures do this obsession for me and luckily I can get a fix by surfing, history channel, or a good book. The thing I don't understand are those who stalk celebrities and would rather see more people idolizing their dead stars than forcing the retirement of some who can't stand up to the stalking.

#15 of 41 Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 12:08 PM

Quote:
I got kind of obsessed with Audrey Hepburn after her death. Read a couple biographies, started watching all of her movies, buying photo books. She's definitely a favorite still, as evidence by the Breakfast At Tiffany's poster on the wall, but things have calmed down. No one else has drawn my attention like that though. A close one was Tippi Hedren, but she's still alive
Freaky! I could have written your post, Cameron!

#16 of 41 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,251 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 03 2005 - 12:56 PM

Quote:
Freaky! I could have written your post, Cameron!

Glad to know there's someone else who was relentlessly teased by his friends Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#17 of 41 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,967 posts

Posted February 03 2005 - 01:40 PM

Quote:
Anyone else have any famous dead obsessions?
I'm totally obsessed by dead people.

I can never get enough Franklins, Grants, and Jacksons.

#18 of 41 Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 03:37 AM

I tend to read the obits every day and I am amazed by some of the strange wonderful lives. Everyone once in a while I will look up more on a person.
Curious if you found anything on Anissa Jones and why she wanted to kill herself.
Quote:
According to IMDB she also jumped from a crashing airplane before it blew up.

Strange on how she tried to live on that occasion
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#19 of 41 ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 04:16 AM

After "Family Affair" ended she experienced the typical has-been child actor syndrome and got really depressed and into drugs; very sad indeed.

#20 of 41 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted February 04 2005 - 06:40 AM

Quote:
Curious if you found anything on Anissa Jones and why she wanted to kill herself.
I don't think Anissa committed suicide, more like she just got mixed up with the wrong crowd and accidentally OD'd. In L.A. that's very easy to do, even though she died south of there in Oceanside. She wasn't overtly suicidal like Inger Stevens that's for sure.
Quote:
Strange on how she tried to live on that occasion
I guess some people want to control how they die or at least, when faced with the very real possibility of dying they essentially choose to live because maybe they feel it isn't the time. That's the way things work out sometimes. When you least expect it, it happens and "it" might be either positive or negative. That old saying "expect the unexpected" can manifest itself in the strangest of ways at any time. Likewise the saying "be careful what you wish for".

Back to After Hours Lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow