What's new

Aspect Ratio of Aladdin III The King of Thieves (1 Viewer)

Steve Sung

Grip
Anyone hear or know regarding the A/R. Since back cover stated Full Screen, however when it plays - it is 1.78. As reviewed by DVD Movie Guide, it seems it is cut top and bottom. Did Disney made a Mistake???

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I have been wondering the same thing about this title. IMDB lists its aspect ratio as 4:3, however IMDB is a user-populated database and prone to errors.

In watching the film, I thought it looked like it wasn't framed properly at the 1.78:1 aspect ratio myself. However, this was my first time viewing the movie.

I must admit that after watching it, I rapidly lost interest in the correct aspect ratio of this movie because I thought it was rather poor.

Still, if it is MAR, it is MAR, and something should be done for the benefit of those who did enjoy it.

Anyone know for sure, inquiring minds want to know. :)

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I was ecstatic when I learned it was 1.78:1 - I figured it might have been animated at that ratio. But it's definitely a 4:3 image that's had the upper-most and bottom-most portions of the frame lopped off.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
So, the box says 1.33, but the DVD is really 1.78, which is wrong?

Made a blind purchase of this and Return of Jafar (Walmart had them in a two-pack). I was bummed to see them both listed as 1.33, but its a birthday gift for my daughter, so whatever it is, we will be living with it.

While I am sure there are others, this will be a first for me...a 1.33 film, cropped/zoomed or whatever, into a 1.78 presentation?

BGL

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Not necessarily. It may have been made with a video widescreen release in mind. Also, some made-for-video movies are released theatrically overseas, in which case they're definitely framed for widescreen.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I remember hearing that Lion King II Simba's Pride was the first DTV feature to be animated specifically for widescreen, for overseas theatrical release.

They are also animated out of Disney TV Animation, so I assume most of their stuff (Especially at the time) was geared towards 1.33:1 production. If something like that was released theatrically overseas, it seems more likely they would just matte the film to widescreen for theatrical release.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

When they were making the film, they considered releasing it theatrically here, because it was such a big deal that they had gotten Robin Williams to come back as the genie. I can't say how serious the consideration was, but there were reports at the time that they were thinking of doing it (I believe they were erroneously claiming it would be the first Disney animated sequel to get theatrical release). So it's definitely possible that it was animated with a theatrical release in mind.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'd trust that guy - he's a GENIUS! :D

Well, I'm just going to echo what I said in my review, but if you watch the thing, it's patently obvious it's incorrectly cropped. We lose tops of heads all over the place. And as my review notes, one Brady Bunch gag proves that it was meant for 1.33:1 and cropped badly: this sequence emulates the Brady "heads in squares" opening but makes the top and bottom rows into rectangles with clearly-missing parts of faces!

Disney simply screwed this one up badly. I have no idea why they cropped it, especially since they left well enough alone with Jafar...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Like I said, if you actually watch the thing, it's radically apparent no one intended this flick to be seen widescreen. It's a bad crop job and that's that...

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I haven't seen the movie so I can't say for sure, but is it possible that it's just cropped too tight? This happens all the time with regular theatrical movies that look cropped too tight when they come to video. I'm saying this because I doubt that they would release something in widescreen that was always intended to be 1.33:1.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sure, they would. It's happened with other titles like the Freddie Mercury Benefit show and the original director's cut of Manhunter. Actually, the latter cropped a P&S transfer, which was even worse!

I think somebody as Disney just screwed up. The disc's case has it right, but I'll bet whoever transferred it incorrectly assumed it should be 16X9 and did it that way.

People can argue all they want - there's simply no doubt the transfer's been cropped incorrectly. The framing's not just "too tight". Tell you what: I'll take a screenshot, run it elsewhere since I can't upload anything here, and then link to it. Look at the image and tell me if the framing looks "too tight".

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
I think things would be a lot clearer if everybody read this.

It is indeed a 1.33:1 film cropped to 1.85:1. I'll soon be buying Return of Jafar by itself off eBay. King of Thieves I still have in OAR on VHS.

John Leaning

Agent
I received this the other day and my 5 year old complains about the characters heads being cut off.
It is just ridiculous to the point where in some scenes you can only see the chin of the character that's talking.

She loves it aside from that, so I sent an email off to Disney complaining about it. It all seems to be news to them, and I'm sure they would love to hear from anyone else that is suffering from headless genie syndrome.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks