• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Derek_J

Derek_J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted January 28 2005 - 12:03 PM

The first season was apparently released last month, but availability online is scarce, which probably means the same for B&M. The only reference I can find on tvshowsondvd is that the 2nd season is due next month.

What dvd publisher released this title?

#2 of 13 Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted January 28 2005 - 05:23 PM

http://www.timelessm...m/videohome.htm

#3 of 13 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted March 28 2005 - 05:37 PM

[c]Actor who played "James Sonnet" has died.[/c]

Jason Evers, 83, an actor remembered for the 1963 cult film "The Brain That Wouldn't Die," died of heart failure March 13 in Los Angeles.

The native New Yorker grew up seeing 25 to 30 plays a year thanks to his ticket-broker father. He dropped out of school to join the Army during World War II and later went into acting through repertory companies.

Evers, sometimes billed under his birth name Herb Evers, burst onto the Hollywood scene in 1960 in the western television series "Wrangler" and the motion picture "Pretty Boy Floyd." In "The Brain That Wouldn't Die," he was cast in the lead role of Dr. Bill Corter, a surgeon seeking a body for his fiancee's decapitated head.

Evers played an English professor in the 1963-64 ABC series "Channing," set at a mythical university, and the elusive missing son James to Walter Brennan's Will on ABC's "The Guns of Will Sonnet." A popular guest on TV series through the 1980s, Evers made his last film appearance in 1990's "Basket Case 2."

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 13 Harry-N

Harry-N

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted May 20 2010 - 09:34 AM

I've never been a very big fan of westerns, in spite of growing up in the '50s and '60s.  They were numerous, to be sure, but I always preferred sitcoms and sci-fi to anything with a horse.  The family used to watch GUNSMOKE, so that was one I was exposed to, but I didn't pay too much attention to it.  It was just 'there'.

A number of years ago I discovered what a fine film HIGH NOON was, and got to know and love MY DARLING CLEMENTINE through the M*A*S*H episode in which it's featured.

About six months or so ago, I happened on a local TV sub-channel that was just starting an episode of THE GUNS OF WILL SONNETT.  Not intending to watch it, I was nevertheless fascinated by the actors, both lead and supporting, and the story was sucking me in. Unfortunately, we had to leave the house before it finished, and it's been sticking in the back of my mind ever since.

About a month or so ago, I stumbled onto a copy of Season One in the gift section of a Cracker Barrel restaurant and almost bought it.  It was only $19.99, and I figured it was worth it just to find out what happened in the episode I almost watched.  Unsure of what it might sell for online, I went home to check out the prices, and reviews.

I learned both here and elsewhere that the episodes that are out there from Timeless are syndicated, edited versions.  That slowed me down in wanting to grab anything, but I also began to see the bigger picture - that a somewhat obsure TV show like this isn't likely going to get a 'second chance' at a better release.

So, a week or so ago, I stumbled onto an Amazon price reduction of the big package containing the entire series.  For just a little more than Cracker Barrel's price, I was getting the whole thing - so I pulled the trigger and ordered it.

The set arrived in the mail the other day.  To date, I've only viewed the first episode (the pilot?), but was impressed on a couple of fronts.  Yeah, the syndication edits are a bit jarring, but once you know they're going to be there, you get resigned to it.  At least with the DVD set, I'm not forced to watch the sub-channel commercials for free credit reports and the latest weight loss devices.

The first episode set up the premise of the series nicely.  I found a couple interesting though unintentional similarities to another favorite series when we started dealing not only with a pursued individual but a one-armed man as well.  The picture quality, while not exactly stellar, isn't quite as bad as some reviewers suggestions that it's sourced from VHS.  To be sure, I'd like better quality, but these were sourced from old broadcast syndication masters that were good enough for our old tube TVs.  Putting that standard on today's high-definition monitors can only reveal the many flaws of such a mastering.  So I'm willing to look past that and try to enjoy the stories for what looks like a good series that I missed all those years ago.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#5 of 13 smithb

smithb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 10:07 AM

As a Walter Brennan fan I enjoyed the show for it's two seasons.

No brag, just fact. (I think I got that right)

#6 of 13 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted May 20 2010 - 07:36 PM

This was actually first released by Timeles several years ago as two separate seasons.

I believe after its network run it was syndicated as a package with 'Branded' as 'The Chuck Conners Theatre' which was also released about the same time. The prints used seem to emanate from these screenings. The print quality is really not too bad but the editing is quite severe.

I would have double dipped on this set if more complete prints had been obtained but perhaps they no longer exist.

#7 of 13 Harry-N

Harry-N

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 11:52 PM

It appears to me to be a re-paackage job of the two original sets.  The first three discs are numbered discs 1,2, and 3.  They're whitish with black printing with a picture of Walter Brennan on them.  The final three are blue, black and red with white printing, no disc numbers and only a generic shooting cowboy-on-a-horse silhouette.

My set came with three dual thinpaks holding all six discs.  In the Cracker Barrel they had Season One in a fat package with three full-size keep cases and also thinner ones with three thinpaks.

The discs seem to be encoded with some kind of wonky 5.1 sound.  It lights up all the channels on my decoder/receiver and has a broad-sounding soundtrack with indistict locality to any of the sounds.  To me it sounds better to just run it through the two TV speakers and avoid all the funny sound processing.

Though the package says that the discs are chapter encoded, they really aren't.  If you hit "chapter forward" it does nothing.  In fact, even the DVD player's display which normally shows me the time so far in a show, merely says "PLAY" when these episodes are playing.

Like I said, if it weren't for this being probably the ONLY way I'll ever see this series, I'd really hate these discs.  But since they're giving me a chance to see the series in what's proabably the only source available, it'll do.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#8 of 13 borisfw

borisfw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for the information Harry N . I had bought the original sets of Will Sonnett and Branded . I have seen the new sets at Sam,s for some time now .

I wasn't sure if they had cleaned them up or not . The original sets were not the best prints . But both shows are watchable . Branded i had seen when i was a kid and always liked . Will Sonnett i did not know as well . It turned out to be a very good show . Both worth the time if you enjoy 60s tv westerns .

#9 of 13 Harry-N

Harry-N

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 03:16 AM

Well that's just it.  I'm basically kind of "new" to westerns in general, but somehow this premise struck my fancy.  I enjoy '60s TELEVISION as a main starting point, and it'll be great seeing a lot of familiar actors playing roles in these shows.

Harry

My DVD Collection

#10 of 13 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 05:28 AM

Harry, just how badly truncated are the episodes?  22 minutes?  Shorter?

BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#11 of 13 Harry-N

Harry-N

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 05:42 AM

The only one I've checked was the first episode.  It seemed to clock in at around 22 minutes.

One of the techniques used to shorten the show was to eliminate the nice act-establishment stuff.  So when an edit occurs, you get a quick fade-up and right into the meat of the scene.

From what I've heard elsewhere, there are some unfortunate edits where characters are introduced that we don't get to see.

As I said, if this was one of my old favorite shows like a TIME TUNNEL, TWILIGHT ZONE or THE FUGITIVE, I'd be livid.  But for me, this is simply a way of seeing a show that I've never seen before, but now have an interest in.

It's only slightly better that watching it on a TV channel, just because there are no commercials.

Harry

My DVD Collection

#12 of 13 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by silverking 

I would have double dipped on this set if more complete prints had been obtained but perhaps they no longer exist.

Do people honestly believe that because either original elements cannot be easily located or because it is not financially viable to transfer from the 35mm prints, that masters no longer exist? It is possible (Barbara Stanwyck Show is one example) but not highly likely.

#13 of 13 Harry-N

Harry-N

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted May 22 2010 - 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

Do people honestly believe that because either original elements cannot be easily located or because it is not financially viable to transfer from the 35mm prints, that masters no longer exist? It is possible (Barbara Stanwyck Show is one example) but not highly likely.

No, I figure they exist somewhere in some condition.  As you say, it's the economics of doing new transfers and/or restorations for a relatively little-known series that would prevent anything better than what's out there.

I'm relatively certain that a show like THE GUNS OF WILL SONNETT, that's bounced around in its ownership over the years, could possibly be among the lost or deteriorating entities.

Harry

My DVD Collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users