Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sirius adding commercials

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Bryan_O

Bryan_O

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 04:55 AM

According to the USA Today Sirius is adding commercials to the talk & sports channels, which is not a big deal in itself, because they are simply replacing their PSAs w/ commercials. I found Mel's quote about Stern's advertisers interesting. I really think his satalite show will be just as un-listenable as his current one.

"Karmazin also noted that Sirius, which first made a name for itself by offering commercial-free music channels, is preparing to add commercials to its talk and sports channels and emphasized that advertising will become an important revenue stream in the coming year. The company is currently in the process of increasing its ad sales staff and Karmazin said he expects "a good number" of Stern's advertisers will follow him to Sirius."

http://www.usatoday.....-siri-xm_x.htm

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,609 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 05:29 AM

Not a bad thing.

XM has already been featuring commercials
on their talk channels.

The added revenue will greatly help Sirius.

Sirius is already expected to raise their
subscription rate at some point.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 05:38 AM

I read not too long ago that XM and Sirius were likely to merger. Don't remember where though..hmmmm

At anyrate I would love to sample either. Right now because of our ridiculous broadcast laws they arent authorized for sale in Canada. You'd have to drive across the boarder and perform some dubious deeds. Still, if they are ever cleared for here I'd be willing to spend $10 a month. Posted Image
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 08:09 AM

Realistically, it's about time. Most of these programs (like anything on SIRIUS Right/Left, Patriot/Air America) are designed with commercial breaks for resets.. right now, it's filler. Even without "commercials" it's just air promoting SIRIUS. I have no problem with them selling those spots, it'd be better then hearing the same spots over and over again promoting Jim Breuer Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Bryan_O

Bryan_O

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 08:10 AM

I agree there HTF Ron, it's not a big deal to have commercials on the talk channels. But I do think it will be a big deal to all of the Stern followers who make the move over to Sirius - invest in new equipment, purchase the subscription, then have to listen to the same 1800-dial-a-mattress commercials, plus probably some on-air reads.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   ScottCarr

ScottCarr

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted January 29 2005 - 10:40 AM

I agree withthe commercials on talk/news radio. But if it moves to the music channels then why bother having satellite when FM and its commercials is free.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted January 29 2005 - 12:08 PM

i have had sirius pretty much since its inception and i always thought that the talk/news/sports channels had commericals. i have listened to them on occasion to see who was peddling what on sirius.

i am confused........???

listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted January 29 2005 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
XM has already been featuring commercials
on their talk channels.
Yep...and here's hoping they stay there and do not creep into the music channels again. One of the best things XM Radio has ever done was drop commercials from their music stations. If I had heard one more "OnStar call" I think I would've yanked my head unit out of my car and hurled it out the window.

Quote:
I read not too long ago that XM and Sirius were likely to merger.
I sure hope not. I'm sure competition between the two is one of reasons XM Radio dropped their commercials a year ago.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,609 posts

Posted January 29 2005 - 08:01 PM

Commercials will not return to XM
music channels.

That was a hard lesson learned by
that service.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted January 31 2005 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Commercials will not return to XM

It better not ever return or else I will drop my XM as quick as it takes to dial their number and tell them why I'm gone. This is NOT public radio, I'm paying for it so I better darn well get commercial free music or else why bother?

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted February 01 2005 - 10:21 AM

I note that XM has added commercials to XM Kids, which to me is ludicrous.

Not sure when that began, and it is possible that they have been doing it for a while, and I just have been lucky to have avoided it, but it seems nuts to me.

BGL

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 10:46 AM

Makes sense, as long as there's not TOO many ads (like there are now on commerical radio).

Think about it. If you're a DJ, you're going to need a break now and then to switch gears, get a different guest on, etc...

Forum Nav Content I Follow