Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LENNON as in John

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 12:00 PM

I just noticed this in my AMEX email and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it? I think if this is done wrong it can really piss people off....me included.
The more I think about it the less I like it.
Thoughts from Jack and others????

LENNON
Get Tickets Before the General Public!
WORLD PREMIERE PRIOR TO BROADWAY. How do you know John Lennon? The Beatle, the poet, the activist, the peacenik, the lover, the father, the dreamer... and now, the subject of an electrifying new Broadway musical. Lennon takes us on the remarkable, mythical journey of the man behind the greatest rock legacy and boldest love story of our time - through his own music. Featuring an extraordinary company of nineteen actors and musicians performing some of the greatest pop songs of all time (including "Imagine," "Twist & Shout," among many others). Join us as the dream becomes reality. Get some of the best seats in the house- before they're available to the general public- with Gold Card Events.
Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco
Tuesday, April 12 - Saturday, May 14
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 11:18 PM

For what it's worth, Yoko has approved this.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 12:14 AM

Yoko would approve "Imagine tampons"
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 04:39 AM

Complete news to me.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 06:55 AM

It's all hard to imagine.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 07:43 AM

Some things seem to be natural for the stage like The Who's Tommy and even the Beatlemania Production many years back. I went to this when I was a kid since I was still in diapers when they stopped playing live.
But to take his life on stage seems to trivialize it more than anything.
The Primal Scream stage should be a hoot and a hollar!

Gotta admit the "Imagine Tampons" is pretty damn funny

Curious how many would go if it was 'local'.....but that's impossible for Rachael cause nuttin is local for her!

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 05:01 PM

Except for Billy Joel's "Movin' Out" I'm no fan of the "jukebox musical" trend, but it's too soon to say how "Lennon" will turn out...they just finished casting it. There are respected and talented people involved on stage and off, and I wouldn't be surprised if they make good theatre out of this. Time will tell...

Playbill News: Lennon

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   MikeEn

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted January 28 2005 - 12:08 AM

Won't leaving out all the Lennon & McCartney songs kind of leave a hole in the Lennon story? (They apparently haven't licensed them from Michael Jackson, although you'd think they could get a good deal nowadays.)

I suppose they can represent part of that period with the covers the Beatles did in the early years. (I see Twist and Shout by the Isley Brothers is mentioned.)

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted January 28 2005 - 04:25 AM

Leaving Lennon & McCartney songs out seems strange...

I was a going through finals when he died and I just shut down.
I had to do something.....not something obvious or negative to his image.
There was this 'spirit' rock that the frats painted at night with school colors or something....
It stopped the idiots from painting buildings and things

I went out there in broad daylight with a friend and painted everything white
I then painted the tiny words "listen to this rock' in a remote place on the rock. Many who cared about him told me they liked my tribute
I hope he liked it.
Nobody touched it for quite a long time which was not normal.... All I am saying is I hope they thought about the play as much as I did about his tribute

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 29 2005 - 02:19 AM

Grant, maybe they'll book the show in over at Jubel's Barn?Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted August 14 2005 - 06:54 AM

I saw it the other night and it is very, very good. The choice of having many different actors (of both sexes) playing Lennon worked beautifully.

I wouldn't call it a jukebox musical by any stretch of the imagination -- a musical biography would be apt.

The shows strengths included beautiful singing, a very informative biography, great tie ins between his life and the songs -- I never liked Mind Games, for instance, but it was so well explained that I appreciated it so much more. Lennon also has an amazing impact in 2005. So little has changed in the world -- except that we don't have a John Lennon any more to state the obvious.

Yes, it was a little strange to have only one Lennon/McCartney song in the whole show (The Ballad of John and Yoko). The Beatles were not given short shrift though -- and I think that Don Scardino (the show's director/creative force) correctly decided that we know a lot more about The Beatles than John Lennon, and he should concentrate on the latter. Some of the props were a little cheesy -- thy could have done without the anachronistic microphones.

Anyway -- highly recommended to Lennon fans in the NYC area. The show officially opens today, I believe.

Now a question: I only have John Lennon's solo music on vinyl (and no, I'm not about to get a turntable). Any CDs that are recommended? I noticed a box that seems to presume you already have the studio albums and want unreleased stuff. There are also some post Shaved Fish "Greatest Hits" type CDs but they aren't very comprehensive.

Any suggestions?

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted August 14 2005 - 10:17 AM

There's a boxed set from 1990 (I think) just called Lennon. 4 CD career retrospective - "real" versions of the songs, not alternates/demos/whatnot. It's gotten some criticism for audio quality, but it covers Lennon's solo career well. Granted, it's not balanced; for instance, we get almost all of Plastic Ono Band and almost nothing from Some Time in NYC. But since the former is a million times better than the latter, that's fine with me!

Couldn't find it on Amazon - it's OOP and tough to find since it's got such a basic title - but here's an entry on ebay if you want to see what's in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/.....c mdZViewItem
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted August 14 2005 - 10:18 AM

Well, if you're looking for a best-of, Lennon Legend is the best one out there--20 tracks, great sound, and usually can be found for $10-12.

If you're interested in the regular albums, Plastic Ono Band is my favorite although Imagine seems to be the most popular. Hold out for the eventual Walls and Bridges remaster, although Yoko seems to be avoiding this one (even though it's one of John's best albums, and a lot stronger than Mind Games or Rock 'n' Roll) because it was recorded during John's lost weekend and Yoko doesn't appear on it (although the "#9 Dream" video on the Lennon Legend DVD suggests otherwise...)

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted August 16 2005 - 05:49 AM

Speaking of the lost weekend; you might want to pick up Nillsson's remastered Pussycats. Even the cover has Nillsson and Lennon both made up like cats.
Lennon produced it; cowrote some songs and sang too.
Nice little band including Keith Moon, Ringo, Jim Keltner, Klaus Voorman.....more like a party that begat an album