What's new

Sony vs Sony (1 Viewer)

Tom*T

Agent
Just wanted to know if there is any major difference between the Sony KDF-55WF655 and the Sony KDF-55XS955? According to Sony website the only difference I could see was the XS had more A/V connections and cost $400 more.

Anybody have experence with either one of these?

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest plus for XS is 2 HDMI inputs vs. 1 on the WF.
The XS also has more menu options for tweaking your picture, which is the deal maker for some.

I thought the WF is much better looking, in mostly dark grey versus more shiny silver. The WF is also a few inches narrower than the XS because the speakers are flush to the TV as opposed to separated by a few inches of air--which I think looks silly.

I went with the 60" WF.

Tom*T

Agent
Thanks Scott. I never noticed that about the speakers on the XS (I agree - not crazy about the look). The WF has got plenty of A/V connections to suit me so for the $$$ difference I'd lean toward the 55WF.

Have you been happy with the performance? I am particularly interested to know how it displays SD since other than DVD's that's what I will primarily be watching for now.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I bought the 55WF655 yesterday at hh gregg here in Reynoldsburg, Ohio (Columbus) . . .

Let me say first that after watching what I thought to be a moderate sized display device in the showroom turned out to be a billboard in my 12x18 room. . . I mean this thing is huge. . . About one year ago I sold my 48in Mits that I thought was a great size for my room and I have been using a 32HS510 since that now will be sold of put to work as a bedroom unit. . . This big Sony is HUGE. . .

After 4 hours of SD cable and a few 480P DVDs thrown in I found the picture to get better the longer it played. I havnt tried to display any HD yet, that will be either today (if I am lucky) or Next weekend when I have more time. I gotta say I was pretty dissapointed at first but experience kept telling me to let the thing settle down for awhile. Now my wife on the other hand had me so pissed that I just about said a few words that I knew to keep to myself. I kept telling her to wait untill I get it setup properly and like our flat screen computer monitor a little age makes it better.

About the time to turn it off and go to bed she (the TV) was really comming around. I found that as time went by I kept lowering the brightness. . . it seems to get brighter the longer it plays. . . I am sure this is normal, kinda like a break-in period. Today she gets the VE set-up. . .

My point is that give this guy a chance before making any critical reviews. . . Sony says that a little over 6ft away is as near as you want to be and I suppose with HD programming that would be fine. . . I am right at 10 feet away. . . With SD programming I am not sure I can get far enough away from this guy especially after watching reg cable on my 32in Sony. . .

Anyway she's really comming around and I continue to hope for the best. . . So far so good. . .

Tom*T

Agent
Guy you kinda just answered the question I was going to post. I will be sitting about 10-11 feet away and was going to ask if the WF60 would be too large to view SD cable at this distance. It seems from your post that it would be. Since I was forced to put my front in-wall speakers 13 feet apart I want to get as big a TV as possible so there is no "sonic gap" between the TV and the speakers. I guess the WF55 is as big as I should go at this seating distance for good SD viewing.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Now with about 24 total hours on this thing I can't get enough of it. . . I took my cable lead off my cable box and hooked it directly to the cable input on the TV (I am now using Rabbit Ears on the other input, temp) and I let it find the channels. . . 97 analog and 100+ digital channels. . . Most are audio only. . . It shows about 50 as "Shown" whatever shown means???

I will get a better OTA antenna and get HD cable this week. However I did get to watch a few OTA channels with my Rabbit Ears last night and I was nothing short of amazed. . .

I am now planning my Super Bowl party. . . YoooHoooooo In my 12x18x8H room I cant think of bigger. . . With the 55 everything looks like actual size. . . Still it is damn hard to watch the whole screen at once. . . I find myself following the action. . .

I had a serious case of buyers remorse the first day. . . That night I went to bed fully intent on returning it the next day but after a full day yesterday I am a believer now. . . Fan noise. . .what fan noise??? You dont hear it unless you are sitthing on the floor behind it when you turn it off. . . Truly I found this fan while I was sitting on the floor behind it hooking things up. I havnt heard it since. . . If it helps keep her cool shoot give me more fans. . . Non-Issue IMHO!

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Was the SD cable picture any better when not going through the set top box? A friend has a 36" HD Wega tube set and he watches regular cable only with the direct cable connection and only uses the digital box (Motorola) for HD stations. He says analog stations through the box are worse than a bad vhs tape recording.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Regular cable is fine either way. . . However I doubt "I Love Lucy" or other older shows will do real well. . .

I have HD cable comming Wed. afternoon. . . I have to use their box for now untill they get more Cable Cards, seems they are back-ordered now and rather than wait until April I can use their box until then.

Watched "24" in HD last night. . . . Pretty cool. . .This things does great things to DVDs. . .

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Guy...Thanks for the informative posts...Im about 5 minutes away from buying this set (to have in time for the big game on Sunday)...only thing that is stopping me is that my viewing distance will be 8 to 9ft...I wonder if that will be a problem...my room is also about your size
I was going to go with the 50"WE but the 55"WF looks much better (on and off)...wife loves it too so thats good...
just wondering about that distance...damn!;)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I was going to buy the 50 myself but decided to go for the 55 and I am very happy about it. . . Just remember not to be critical of her PQ untill she has a chance to settle down. Mine is fine at

BenF

Agent
I too have this set.

I feel that the SD quality is better when watched directly through the TV tuner. To do this comparison, I set the STB to channel 3, and started split screen wit the tuner input to channel 3. Unscientific, yes. But to my eyes, the TV tuner looked noticably better.

Guy - I couldn't agree with you more. While I was in the store looking at the set I thought the size was fine. I got it home and put it in my room and it is GIANT! Now after a few weeks it doesnt look so big.

James, re: viewing distance. First, I concur that the WF is MUCH MUCH better looking that the WE. However, I sit about 12 feet away from the set and would not want to be any closer. Take that for what its worth, and maybe try out your viewing distance in the store before taking it home. For HD I would have no problem with that distance, and since thats primarly what we bought the set for anyway perhaps its a moot point.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
BenF,
I think you are exactly right . . . I have done the same thing. Last night my HD cable box was installed so now I have HD cable (cards are back ordered). Also temporarily I have a pair of rabbit ears for local HD and when I switch back from the cable HD on a local channel that I can get OTA there is no comparison. . .

Right now my HD is Video 6 or componet as is my DVD player (Vid 5) Hopefully it will preform better once the cable card gets here. Not all bad of course I was watching a show on HD Net last night and WOW!! it was spectacular. . .

What is scarring me is the fact that I am already getting used to HD and find myself wondering about tweaks or whats next.. . I didn't spend 3K for a TV that I will get tired of and dive back into the computer for eBay and other time wasting activities. . .

CSI tonight. . .YOOOHOOOOOO!!! watched 24 Monday. . .WOW!! cant wait for some good close-ups of the CSI gang. . . I have all of CSI Vegas on DVD and it is wonderful. . . I havnt watched it yet on this TV but soon. . .

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
BenF,
Yeah...Im going to have to break out the measuring tape and head on over to my local CC to measure the distance...
I will be watching primarily HD broadcast but mostly I'll be watching DVD's via HDMI connection...I cant wait to rediscover some of my favorite movies on this beauty...Im sure it will be a big improvement over my 40" direct-view Mits.(hopefully!!!!)
Guy,
I will definitely give her a chance to settle in,I want this set BAD so no matter how long it takes I am willing to wait!

Im sure this set is going to look like a monster in my room
especially since Im planning to keep my Bell'O stand witch measures 27" high....now the top of my stand is 40" in wide am I correct in assuming the base of the set is 37-38" wide?...can someone confirm this for me...if so then it looks like a perfect fit.
Thanks

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
I'll just throw in quickly that I'm another of those who now have a slab of TV in the room...when the measurements seemed so perfect before delivery.

Anyway, I don't believe a single post has defended the poor XS model. Even though Sony's publicity doesn't mention it, I believe this has a better (read: darker) screen that enhances the contrast. If you look at the model's front, where the screen on the XS, the WF has only air.

My local BB has the two side by side. I've played with settings and watched the same material on them. The XS always looks a bit deeper and richer, which would answer my only complaint with the WE610 model I have. It seems like it also possibly provides some difraction, so the pixel(?) structure I sometimes see on the 655 disappears.

I prefer the simpler design of the 655 series myself, but the deciding factor for me would be the better blacks on the XS.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
btw...do I really need the $100 Monster HDMI cable that the salesman is eventually going to push me to get when I get my WF...or can I get away a with $40-$50 "no name" brand...or does it even matter?
Thanks again........

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I would check out accessories4less.com and see what they have. I just checked they have IXOS for $30-$60 depending on length. Also Tributaries starting at $60. DOn't know if AR makes these cables yet, I would assume they'd carry them if so. Also I can say what the quality is like for these brands, but I'm guessing as good as Monster.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Now after a few days of HD cable I'm here to tell you that all HD is not equal. . . Some of it stinks and some spectacular. . . Also I am learning a little more on how to get more out of my set. . . She has her own personality, nothing major just seems to be bothered by some things that I havnt seen before. I am thinking cable artifacts however as OTA HD is perfect period.

BenF

Agent
James,

Sorry I am not home to measure right now, but I have the following StudioTech stand and the set fits on it perfectly with little room to spare. TV Stand At 40" wide, I think your set will sit RIGHT on the edge.

Regarding the XS vs. WF model, it was an easy choice for me for 2 reasons: I much prefer the elegant look and design of the WF and it was a few hundred bucks cheaper.

One more thing James, I got a great deal on my set at CC by bringing in an internet ad from a legitimate, authorized dealer and speaking directly to the manager. I told him I was ready to buy the TV online if necesary, but that I would rather purchase from him. He was able to match the online price but I needed to pay for shipping or take it home myself. This was my plan anyway, since I wanted to have it for Championship sunday. Very nice experience with a retailer who seems to get a pretty bad rap around here.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
BenF,
Thanks for the info...Im sure your set looks great on that StudioTech stand. I'll be going to CC in the morning so lets see what kind of deal I can get...also thanks for giving me the idea about CC price-matching, I'll be printing out some some Internet ads tonight

btw...how did the big game look on the set, I'm sure it must of looked amazing.

I'm hoping the set fits perfectly...crossing my fingers;)

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the 60WF655 in the house for about 10 days now. I sit about 11.5 ft from the screen. I'm super-happy with my purchase. The Superbowl was spectacular to look at. Neither the game, commercials or halftime show could compete with the picture as my favorite part of the evening. I guess I've been watching too much TV, as I haven't seen the development of this thread:). Here are some new owner's opinions about some of the things in here:

Size matters / seating distance
You can download the manual . On page 30 Sony recommends not sitting closer than 6.8ft from the 55WF, or 7ft from the 60WF. A friend of mine bought the 55WF before I got my TV. After a week of amazement over how big his new TV was, he said it wouldn't bother him if it were just a wee little bit bigger. That convinced me to go with the 60", even if I didn't see what he was talking about when I visited him and the TV a few weeks ago.

SD PQ: You want a Cablecard
It was a major pain in the butt to get the
Cablecard working. But it was absolutely worth it. When it first didn't work, Cablevision left me an HD box (the Scientific Atlanta 4200HD). I would say the HD looks pretty similar on the box or via the cablecard. And I find annoying compression artifacts on the network HD feeds over cable too often with both the box and the card. I am probably going to get a Silver Sensor to pick the locals OTA for fun, and hopefully get rid of some of the artifacting.

When I first got the TV, I watched anything that was on HD, and although HD is better than DVD, I really like the picture from DVDs too. Initially, I found the SD content to have horrible PQ. Remember, with a 60" widescreen you have a 49" 4:3 pillar boxed image. That's a lot of area for not a lot of information. That said, with the Cablecard, SD programing, especially on the digital cable channels, isn't too objectionable.

Stands
The base is just under 39" wide for the 60WF. Since the WF and XS models all use the same overpriced Sony stand, I would guess that they share the same base (I read this over at AVSforum). I am using this base , the 60WF is almost exactly the same width, and I think they look quite sharp together. Also I was able to put all of my equipment in there except my center channel speaker, which I had to mount on the wall above the TV, angled down a bit.

XS vs WF
Here's another good comparison thread. I don't see much support for the arguement that the XS has a better screen and/or engine than the WF. The sound from the WF is actually much better than I expected. Are the tweaking menus and the extra HDMI input worth it for you? They weren't for me.

HDMI Cable
James, you don't need Monster Anything . They appear to be a bad corporate citizen. And if you don't care about that, their stuff is well made, but it's way overpriced. That said, I've heard great things about HDMI. You want to use the HDMI jack if you have a source that can output over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks