What's new

When will we get a dedicated satellite dish for XM or Sirius? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
I think the new wireless repeaters coming out in 2005 is a step in the right direction, but NOT a solution. What amazes me is why no one has made a satellite XM or Sirius dish with a built-in 4X4 multi-switch like on DirecTV dishes. You could get by with a smaller footprint of the dish too so it's not nearly as large. This would give you optimal signal lock and have the ability to run wires inside the drywall to each dedicated XM receiver located in different rooms of the home.

The problem I face is I have no South windows because my garage is that area of the house. Also, I have quite a bit of space to cover as well in the overall size of the home. So, the limited trasmit range of 75-100 feet is not going to help me much at all. If their trasmitter could go 200-400 feet then we would be getting somewhere and it would be a solution for many people. Mainly, this product is good for those with apartments or smaller space to cover.

If XM truely wants people to adopt their platform and listen to their music in the home, a dedicated dish with multi-outputs for in-wall cable runs is the best solution. No one wants unsightly wires visible in their home. To me, this would be a no brainer way to make money by making such a dish.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, there is the question of how many people actually listen to satelite radio exclusively at home?

Considering that the satelite systems were designed around the receiver being mobile (i.e. a car), it probably isn't nearly as effective to have directional dishes. Not to mention that those dishes have their own problem (line-of-sight, affected by the weather). Also, due to their location, I'm not sure if it is practical.

Not to mention that this would only apply to XM, because Sirius's satelites are not geostationary.

I also don't see multiswitches being useful for most people, since right now, you pay per receiver.

Not saying that someone won't do it (there have been a few high end solutions which have come up at CES's in the past.), but the market is still pretty young, and the primary market is still for cars, or those who want portability.

Jason

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, that's not quite true. I get your meaning, but some may think you have to pay a subscription for each XM/Sirius receiver or unit itself. You can use a SkyFi2 for example both in home and car and pay for only one unit and one subscription.

Also, I don't see why XM couldn't do the dish thing, but I know why you said Sirius would have a problem. XM satellites are in stationary orbit are they not? If so, it would be very simple to make a dish solution with the multi-switch built in like I mentioned. As for it being affected by weather, no more so than Dish or DirecTV dishes that are widely marketable. I only loose reception a few times a year at most during heavy rain. Even snows don't typically affect it. However, this depends upon your installation and the type of signal lock you have on it. But typically this should be the norm for most.

As for XM/Sirius not being used in the home market much, that is RAPIDLY changing. Each one is pushing and developing in home units, such as Polk's XM component receiver. Plus, in case you missed the announcement, XM is making chips that will make virtually any device XM ready in the coming years. There will be DVD players/recorder, audio processors, univeral music players, etc. all with built-in XM ready ability. So, yes the rush to home market is on for exclusive listening in every room of your house.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A multi-switch is used with DBS systems because of the right and left hand polarized frequencies that are used and the two way communication between the receiver and the dish. I don't think satellite radio is that sophisticated. I have also seen dedicated outdoor antennas to drive multiple receivers at XMFan store.

-Robert

Bryan_O

Agent
Being a cable guy, I don't know about the affects of weather on sat. TV, but I can say I had about 7 inches of snow on top of my XM antenna on my truck the other day, and no signal problems.

Users who are viewing this thread