Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with (2nd) Da-Lite Model B screen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Al L

Al L

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 01:39 AM

Ok, so my Da-Lite replacement screen arrived yesterday. The first one, a model B HCMW with CSR, developed a massive V shape wave within the first 2 weeks and rendered most movies unwatchable. So I sent it back to the dealer and I asked them to send me a high power MANUAL model B instead. I chose the High power instead of the HCMW because I read that even if it developed waves they would be unnoticeable. I don't know if this is true, because I didn't get time last night to test an image out on it.

Anyway, I left it hanging down last night because I wanted to let it "breathe" so to speak. This morning I noticed a few things:

1. A giant V wave in the middle of the screen.
2. It is IMPOSSIBLE to roll up slowly.
3. Casing has minor scratches/chips.

So the question is even though I have the wave in the middle, would it be noticeable AND since this is the first day of using it, should I be concerned about the waves getting bigger in the future? The wave isn't as bad as the one I had on the HCMW, and is only slightly noticeable I guess because of the reflective surface.

I also heared that most waves, crinkles and creases come from rolling up the screen too quickly. Thing is, and I don't know if it's because it's the first time I've used it, but this screen is really really hard to roll up smoothly without having to jerk the entire thing upwards. The CSR model was smooth as silk compared to this. I really don't know if I can live with this everytime I want to watch a movie.

I feely really bad about having to send this one back. The dealer, which looks like a small one man band shop, took great care in sending me the replacement and picking up the old one for no extra charge.

If I do send it back, I might not even go with Da-Lite because if this is the type of quality to expect then I will take my money elsewhere.

Tonight I will test out an image on it to see if I want to at least stick with hi power, but the manual pull down/up bothers me somewhat.

Thanks.