Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Two new Criterions in April

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 01:30 AM

According to Amazon.com, F for Fake and Divorce Italian Style, both in 2-disc editions, are coming from Criterion on April 26. No other information.

http://www.amazon.co...SIN/B0007M2234/
http://www.amazon.co...SIN/B0007M222A/

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 01:36 AM

F for Fake

Sweet! I've been wanting to see this film for years, but have never been able to find a copy.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   AlexHL

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 02:58 AM

Wonderful news indeed. And thankfully a less expensive month from Criterion for a change.

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:02 AM

Quote:
And thankfully a less expensive month from Criterion for a change.

Don't count you chickens (or change). The announcements are not up yet on Criterion's website. It is highly likely that there will be additional titles by the time they are.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 09:22 AM

I have never seen F for Fake and discovered that it's an Orson Welles picture

A must buy then

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 10:47 AM

Ditto that!

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 11:42 AM

They are both 2-disc editions, so they will be $39.95, or $27.70 from DVD Pacific or £14.99 from CD-WOW if you use this thing: www.consol.be/cdwow/

You enter the product code that is at the end of the address line, ie 646164 for Slacker and you get a £1 off. So you get Slacker, a superb Criterion 2-disc for £11.99.

The other April releases could be :

Playtime
Jour de Fete
Eisenstein: The Silent Years

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   richardWI

richardWI

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 11:55 AM

"F for Fake" is, without a doubt, the release of 2005 that I anticipate the most. I am happy that it will now get a wider audience and introduce more people to Orson Welles: The Editing Genius... This film, made long before the Avid, is the Citizen Kane of editing. Witness what he did with mid 70's technology, twisting and shaping mostly "found" footage, and your jaw will drop.

Can't wait to find out what's on disc two. The trailer, inclued on the laserdisc, is one of the coolest ever made.

"I started at the top and have been working my way down ever since." -Orson Welles

#9 of 32 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,352 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 25 2005 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
The other April releases will be :

Playtime
Jour de Fete

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I've been waiting forever for the Silent Eisenstein films and the other Tati films, especially the underseen and undersppreciated Jour de Fete. I wub Criterion.Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 12:20 PM

Jour de Fete
Excellent if true (there's still no such listing on their website). It'll be the first new Criterion (excluding reissues such as M), that I've been excited about in a long, long time - the last one was the Killers.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 12:21 PM

The other April releases will be :

Playtime
Jour de Fete

Gordon: I always appreciate your well-informed posts, but are the films you listed above wishful thinking, or do you have some inside info???

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 12:53 PM

Sorry, guys; I typed "will" instead of "could"! :b

It is pretty much common knowledge that Criterion are working on Playtime (it will be transfered from a new 70mm interpositive of the longer version) and Jour de Fete is also in the works (the BFI edition is out now in the UK).

Over at the Criterion Forums Eisenstein's silents are listed as one of the "in the works" and many people there seem agree it is likely. Although, with the Andrzej Wajda boxed set now being moved to April, it looks like Criterion won't release another boxed set until June or July.

I do understand that speculating on Criterion releases is a very risky business, but it is fun!

Once again: Sorry for the ERROR, guys.

#13 of 32 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,352 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:35 PM

Hmmm - I just checked out those forums you linked to Gordon and it seems that Hoop Dreams is being mentioned by a lot of users as an April possibility. Has there been any evidence towards Criterion releasing this?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 08:27 PM

Yeah - it's part of the deal with New Line Home Video and Fine Line Features that led to Short Cuts and My Own Private Idaho. You can read details here at the end of the first post.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 08:31 PM

Quote:
It is pretty much common knowledge that Criterion are working on Playtime (it will be transfered from a new 70mm interpositive of the longer version) and Jour de Fete is also in the works (the BFI edition is out now in the UK).

Gordon, given that Criterion and the BFI have worked together in the past and both these Tati films are already out in their BFI editions, I think this is a sound bet.

However, do you know if Criterion are going to offer anything in addition to the BFI versions? As far as I know, the BFI Playtime is the longer version (though of course the absolutely original version has been lost) and it has an excellent commentary. The BFI Jour de Fete is vanilla, but interestingly is in colour (as originally intended, but rather faded, which perversely enough adds to the charm).

#16 of 32 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,352 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 09:08 PM

Thanks Jon. Great news! Posted Image

The Tati titles I knew were definitely coming sometime because criterionco.com specifically mentioned them as future titles in their News section.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 02:04 AM

Criterion's edition of Playtime will probably be a 2-disc affair with a new anamorphic hi-def transfer from the 70mm interpositive and will hopefully include the 6-track stereo mix as well as the mono. I'm expecting extensive materials on Tati on disc 2.

Jour de Fete will almost definately be a 2-disc also, but that will be because both the black and white and Thomsoncolor versions will be provided. We'll probably get a commentary, also.

Criterion are woking on dozens of films at present for release throughout this year and the next, so it is hard to guess what will be released and when, but the Tati titles are pretty much a dead cert.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 02:55 AM

Orson Welles?

Another title on my "to buy" list, then.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 04:21 AM

Gordon, thanks for the info. I don't know about other good folks here, but I find my Criterion buying comes in bursts - I can go a couple of months wanting nothing from the lists and then suddenly several choice plums all come at once. I love Tati films, and although I've already got the BFI versions, the extras on the Criterion merit a double-dip. Plus F is for Fake is a must-buy.

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Chad Parks

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted January 29 2005 - 03:27 PM

I agree that the F for Fake DVD is a no brainer, hopefully Criterion will really 'hook us up' with some of the interesting short things that Orson was working on during that time period.

Forum Nav Content I Follow