What's new

The Sandlot 2? (1 Viewer)

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I stumbled upon this earlier today, apparently The Sandlot 2 is in the making and is set to come out this year. Does anyone have any info on this? I can't find anything on the 20th Century Fox site (I assume they're behind it since I think they were behind the original). I hope they don't sour the memory of a good movie from my childhood.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Same here.

I haven't heard anything on this, and would want to hear more, but I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, it's a Fox production - there's a trailer on the Taxi (Jimmy Fallon, not Judd Hirsch) DVD. I don't know anything else about it, though...

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
From what I can tell, there are only two actors that are the same from the firt movie. James Earl Jones (Mr. Mertle) and Karen Allen (Mrs. Smalls, the mother of the main kid from the first movie). Also I think the movie centers around the little brother of Scotty Smalls, Johnny.

Does anyone have screencaps of the trailer from the Taxi DVD? I don't want to have to rent it.

Here are some pictures from the set, it looks like it takes place in the '70s.

A synopsis: The story takes place 10 years after the first film (set in the 1970s) and has Saul and his pals allowing three girls to join their baseball team. And when a spaceship model belonging to the father of one of the girls falls on the other side of the fence into the yard of a scary neighbour, they have to figure out how to retrieve it.

A spaceship? A baseball made sense... but a spaceship? I thought they established in the first movie that the neighbour was a nice man and his dog was just misunderstood. And didn't the dog become the mascot of the Sandlot kids?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
That's one weird-looking kid.

As for the film iself, perhaps there's a new scary neighbor? Mr. Mertle could be in the film in a different capacity, perhaps even coaching the kids (ok so he can't exactly coach them since he's blind, but he could be some sort of manager-type figure.)

Not very interested in this one (I can't imagine the new cast equaling or topping the original), though I'll probably check it out on video if only for JEJ's performance.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
So which will be worse, Sandlot 2 or Mighty Ducks 4? When you hear Space Ship in a baseball movie, I think that moves it up the list a bit.

Ricardo, I actually heard that JEJ's yard is the one being referenced, and that he is in fact the neighbor, of course it having been 10 years maybe people forget that he's actually a nice guy and perhaps he has a different dog?

Sounds like the same plot of the first movie with a little reworking and that means probably not in a good way, but since I'm a baseball fan I'll probably check out the DVD.

Travis W.

Second Unit

......No, Hollywood's not running out of ideas, no! How could you accuse such a creative industry of pandering to the lowest common denominator to make a buck?!

Ugh. I thought the year of the sequel passed in 2003...I guess I was wrong. I was reading an article the other day that broke down the releases of 2004. 18 of them are already sequels/ adaptations/ remakes. That number looks to be steadily rising.

Now if they would have just called it Sand Lot and passed it off as a remake...well I wouldn't have been able to find the words to express my disappointment.

FOX :thumbsdown:

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I was enjoying pretending this project doesn't exist ever since I first heard of it. This thread isn't helping block it out of my mind. The Sandlot is the movie I cherish most from my childhood. A lot of the movies I saw as a kid seem stupid to me now, but I still love The Sandlot as much as many of the movies I've gotten into as a young adult.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

Sorry about that... if anything good comes out of this maybe we'll get a better DVD of the first movie?

And I heard about Mighty Ducks 4..... I mean how can the Ducks go to the Olympics and against Iceland again? They will have to go through Team Canada to get there. Disney and Fox are ruining my memories. They ruined Free Willy... I'm just glad they didn't go ahead with Goonies 2.

RichardK

Second Unit
Sounds like this one should be a direct to Video release... Sandlot is a great flick, I own it on DVD. I would likely rent Sandlot 2 for the kids, wouldnt bother going to the theater for this one...

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

It's okay. My post wasn't dead serious so I'm not really mad at you for starting the thread, although I do wish The Sandlot would just be left alone instead of (possibly) having its legacy tarnished by a sequel. And yeah, a new Sandlot DVD would make me not mind this movie existing so much. I actually never got around to buying The Sandlot.

George See

Second Unit
I'm happy to see anything James is in, it seems like he does so little these days. Still i'm amazed that they feel Sandlot needed a sequel? Sandlot 2, Mighty ducks 4, I think we're only about 2 weeks away from word on Hoosiers 2 :frowning:

BenjaminX

Grip
Sandlot 2 will either be brilliant or a trainwreck. I mean, what's next? SpaceCamp 2? Camp Nowhere 2? Meatballs 75?

ErinL

Auditioning
How can they even make a second Sandlot movie. The first one was awesome and it left everything answered. A sequel for this movie will definitely be a bomb.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I will just add this movie to the list of sequels I won't see that would ruin the original for me:

-Caddyshack 2
-Meatballs 2 thru ?
-Slap Shot 2

Thanks...but no.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If they make a Camp Nowhere 2, I'd be the first schmuck in line. That was my favorite film when I was ten years old in 1995.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It's not a spaceship that goes over the wall; it's a model of the NASA Space Shuttle that one of the neighborhood fathers (Greg Germann) was working on.

And, like nearly everyone in the world, I was pretty darn skeptical about a sequel to The Sandlot. Despite all odds, I actually enjoyed the sequel. My review is up at DVD Talk for those who are interested.

I'm very curious to see the general response once this DVD is released. I seriously doubt that ANYone will call it better than the original, but it's a whole lot better than most DTV sequels out there. (Not that that's really saying a whole lot...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks