Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Next Generation of Star Trek: TNG Custom Cover Art...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 01:33 AM

Or, here we go again!

Posted Image

A Co-HTFer (Andrea W) had sent me a bunch of slim eight disc cases and asked if I could re-size my Next Gen covers. (They don't make seven disc slims yet!)

Posted Image

These cases from Genesys DTP are only an inch wide, so they take up about half the room as my original set.

Well it turned into more of a major overhaul. It's been almost three years since I started that first TNG set and I think my Photoshop skills have improved a little along the way, so I thought I throw them out there to you guys if you're interested. Here are some previews of the individual covers...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

About Picard's uniform... I always thought the season one and two uniforms looked like pajamas. I don't like them at all. I also wanted the set to have a fairly uniform look and feel to it with reards to the cast, so I thought I would put Picard in his more familiar duds. While Picard looks virtually the same thru all 7 seasons, Riker really fattened up. So I used the second season Riker pic but raised his collar a bit. I know it will throw the die-hards into a tizzy!

Wesley also got added in because even though I used to want Worf to throw him out of an airlock, I've mellowed over the years. The order had to be switched though, to accomodate him.

I couldn't find another good quality cast shot for season four's back, so I strayed from the design, just a little.

Anyway,that's the deal. If you want them you can download them from
my site.

I'd love to see Genesys DTP get some seven disc cases in the same size. They could loose that front disc position and put in some insert clips. Though, if you have the Best Buy bonus discs, you've got a place to put 'em!

Ric

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 01:54 AM

Beautiful Ric I've been hoping we'd get some slims this size, figures I just get done doing my Voyager Sets. TV On DVD is taking up far too much room, I'd be interrested in combining multiple seasons Like the Shield , Sopranos etc. Anyhow are you doing the Other Treks for the Slim 8's?
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 02:44 AM

Wow!!!

I work with photoshop a lot and would not have the patience to do what you did on your own time. Beautiful work!!!

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 03:56 AM

Ric you know I always love your stuff. However, I think you overdid the stars just a bit. Posted Image Are you planning on doing B5 or DS9 again? I can't put both B5 and DS9 up on my Ent center cause they're both too wide together. Posted Image

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 05:27 AM

Thanks guys!

Quote:
I think you overdid the stars just a bit.

Hmmm, maybe so. I still kinda like the "space is full of stuff" look. Admittedly, I was trying to go for something a little different.

No plans for B5 (there's already a slim version of it) but I do think I may re-visit DS9 and Voyager... probably not until later in the year though. Those covers will probably be closer to their originals (with the exception of a re-arranged spine) I don't think I'm gonna touch my latest version of ST:TOS. With only three covers it would be hard to fit much on the spine if it got to skinny.

Ric

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 08:10 AM

Damn you Ric! Now I have to order different cases so I can have these amazing covers. Posted Image Bad enough I had to order cases for the OLD covers. Posted Image

Seriously, nice work. Very very nice!

Anyone know if any company in Canada carries these slim-8's?

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 09:14 AM

I know I'd definitely be interested in slim version of the DS9 and voyager sets. The only thing I don't like about your custom covers are that the cases that they go on are so huge Posted Image. (Although man they look good sitting on the rack).

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 12:06 PM

Lovely. When the BluRay versions come out only 1 disc thick for each cover, an era that you helped define will truly be past.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 02:37 PM

Quote:
an era that you helped define will truly be past.

Gee, that sounds important! :b I can't wait until I tell my wife I helped define an era and watch her eyes roll!

Who would have thought that we could have whole tv series in the space that we have now? I can't tell you how much shelf space I have gained back from my VHS tapes recorded off the TV! Well, I probably don't have to.

Ric

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 05:00 PM

Wow! I am very impressed at the detailed art work. I have been a ST:TNG fan since the show came out and I think you came up with the best box art for the series. Much, much better than what Paramount did. Great job!

Can you teach some of us how you did it? I'm serious. It would be great to learn how to make such quality presentations.

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 09:51 PM

Amazing!

Nice job as usual Ric. I can't wait till you get the other series done. I'll "upgrade" all my covers at the same time.

Posted Image

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 01:47 AM

Great work, Ric! I do have one question, though. Since TNG (as well as DS9 and VOY) have had bonus discs included with their respective sets, is there a way you could modify the cover art to include information on the bonus discs? I may just have to get some of those slim-disc packages for my sets! Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Andrea W

Andrea W

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 04:48 AM

Sorry for the overexposed background (blinds)...

Posted Image

BTW, anyone interested in my old STTNG "fat" alpha cases with cover art (pictured on top)? Posted Image

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 05:13 AM

Damn. That comparison pretty much did me in. That's quite the size difference Andrea!

I gotta find these cases in Canada, if I can. Posted Image

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 06:49 AM

As soon as Ric redoes DS9, mine are going in those small cases. I need to reclaim some shelf space badly. Posted Image

Ric, will your B5 slims fit in those cases?

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 08:38 AM

Hey Andrea, what's that eighth case for? I presume all of the Best Buy bonus discs? I'd give just about anything for the "Slim Jim" cases! Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
BTW, anyone interested in my old STTNG "fat" alpha cases with cover art (pictured on top)? Posted Image
I'll take them, if they are free, and include the discs too Posted Image

On a just slightly more serious note, does having such small cases make anyone feel that perhaps the content isn't worth as much as you paid? I recall the old days (of not so long ago) when computer software still came in big boxes full of mostly air (instead of 20 diskettes and a large bound manual), with the reason given that it makes people feel like they're getting something for their money when it's sitting on the store shelf. Does the downsizing of the spines make it feel like the content value was downsized as well?
I'm just curious, as I haven't been able to justify the cost of a large set like TNG to myself yet. Seeing that picture with 7 seasons of TNG in the space of roughly 15 movies, but at 3 times the cost, got me thinking.

Oh, and beautiful covers, Ric. I've been eyeing them jealously for quite awhile now.

-- Dave

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 10:00 AM

These cases from Genesys DTP are only an inch wide, so they take up about half the room as my original set.

I can't tell from the picture, but do those cases require you to stack discs on top of each other (requiring you to remove one disc in order to get to the disc beneath it)?

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Andrea W

Andrea W

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
Hey Andrea, what's that eighth case for? I presume all of the Best Buy bonus discs?

Yup, Best Buy supplemental discs.

Quote:
I can't tell from the picture, but do those cases require you to stack discs on top of each other (requiring you to remove one disc in order to get to the disc beneath it)?

The genesysdtp 8-disc cases require no overlap/stacking. The shop4tech 8-disc cases (which are just a hair slimmer than the genesysdtp ones) have one less "page flap" so 2 discs overlap on inside the front cover and the back cover.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 12:00 PM

Quote:

Nope, no stacking! Though, I have noticed some scuff type marks on the see-thru plastic part of the covers. Almost like they got that way from rubbing against each other. I also had one case that would not close all the way. Still, i think these cases are a deal.

Quote:
does having such small cases make anyone feel that perhaps the content isn't worth as much as you paid?

Size matters not! That being said, I think most of my covers work better with the bigger "canvas". I like the Voyager design so much that I will probably not switch to the smaller design. We'll see about DS9. I'm still using the fatter versions of my B5 cases.

Quote:
what's that eighth case for? I presume all of the Best Buy bonus discs?

Yep. That case was called "Supplemental"

Quote:
is there a way you could modify the cover art to include information on the bonus discs?

I don't have plans for that. Not right now anyway. I never collected the first few bonus discs because they were CDroms, some of which I already had. I'd at least need descriptions of what they all were.

Quote:
will your B5 slims fit in those cases?

Probably, they are off by a few millimeters and it may affect the spine shot. Some people have told me they use the Nexpak sixes and they look fine. These 8 discers are just a hair thinner than the Nexpaks. For those that don't know, the B5 Slims were originally made for the slightly slimmer six disc cases from Austrailia. They are very good cases, but quite expensive to get to the States.

Quote:
Can you teach some of us how you did it? I'm serious. It would be great to learn how to make such quality presentations.

A lot of trial and error. And about three years of practice. Maybe one of these days I'll try my hand at some tutorials.

Thanks for all the kind comments, gang (and the pix, Andrea!). Like I may have already said, it will probably be a few months until my next downsizing attempt. I have a few other things I want to work on. Watching my growing stack of un-watched DVDs being one of them!

Ric
RixGrafix
Rix DVDs!
The Screening Room

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow