Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: Hunter - The Complete First Season

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 05:57 PM

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for your efforts on the review. It is good to hear that the visual quality has improved and that all the subsequent Cannell releases are not doomed!

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hi Amy I hope the trend will continue for the upcoming releases for second seasons of 21 Jump Street, Silk Stalkings, and The Commish. All are expected around mid-2005. Mike

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 12:39 PM

This series was fairly heavy on current music when it was on TV back in the 80's. I read somewhere else that they replaced the music on this set. It's not a series I'll be purchasing, but it's another example of a seemingly growing practice these days.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 01:41 PM

Wasn't Hunter one of the many TV shows back in the early 1980's that used popular songs that were re-recorded by unknowns (I assume to cut down on the cost)? The only episode I remember hearing the actual artist's version of a song was that episode that featured the Rolling Stone's Sympathy for the Devil. I could be wrong though since that was 20 years ago now.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 10:48 PM

I remember the Rolling Stones song but they also had music from U2, ZZ Top, Linda Ronstadt, Pat Benatar, Hall and Oates, Credence Clearwater Revival, Hank Williams, etc. They even cut some of the opening footage in the pilot episode. It showed a girl in a car singing. They cut it because they didn't license the song. Apparently, they didn't even use the correct opening credits for each episode either. They went with one from a later episode on all of them. The earliest episodes didn't have quite the same opening. It's a shame, I used to watch this with my dad when I was young. I would have bought it but I don't buy sets with replaced music. I thought one of the big pluses about TV on DVD was to get a series as it originally aired. That's not happening as often anymore. This set was done by Anchor Bay. There's another thread about the upcoming "Greatest American Hero" set, also by Anchor Bay, and some have asked whether the episodes will be uncut and music replaced. I have a feeling I know the answer on the music. I wasn't a fan of 21 Jump Street but apparently Anchor Bay did the same thing with the music on that set.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,105 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 27 2005 - 05:33 AM

It's Stephen J. Cannell. He owns most of his shows, and his company handles everything about the sets except distribution. That's why everything from Wiseguy, which was not distributed by Anchor Bay, to Hunter, which was, has had music replaced. Also, his shows have generally gotten poor notices for PQ. I guess he just wants the shows out and doesn't care that much for presentation. Surprisingly, the best shot for Cannell shows are the ones distributed by Universal. The A-Team set is pretty excellent--no cuts, nice picture quality. Of course, outside of a Joey Scarbury song in one episode, there wasn't a lot of music in the A-Team. So, that's one less issue Universal has to contend with on those sets. But, yeah, I've pretty much written off GAH ever since the Cannell sets started coming out. Not a one of them has been at the quality level I'll accept.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 01:41 PM

It's a shame that Cannell handles his TV series that way, Greg. I didn't realize that AB was just handling distribution. Come to think of it, I do remember all the complaints about Wiseguy. You're right about the A-Team set. I have to give Universal credit on that one. They did a nice job with the first season set and I'll be picking up Season 2 in April.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Louis C

Louis C

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 28 2005 - 12:39 PM

I am still angry about the replaced music on "Tour of Duty" I didn't learn about until parting with my money. Thanks for alerting us to the replaced music on "Hunter" Anchor Bay, I would be buying this set, but you failed to release what was aired.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Will_C

Will_C

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted January 29 2005 - 02:35 AM

I hate all the replaced music; they have some really cheesy glock in there. But I had to go and get it since it is Hunter. I used to have the wish as a kid that they would make a big movie with Hunter and Dirty Harry tracking a vigilante killer who turned out to be Paul Kersey (Charles Bronson's character from Death Wish). Now, I realise how impossible that would have been with different studios involved, but hey, I was a kid! And that could have been a great movie! Posted Image
Rick Hunter
USMC Force Recon Scout Sniper
"If you run, you'll only die tired."

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Heidi Saunders

Heidi Saunders

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 21 2005 - 05:51 AM

Hi! You did a great review. And being as you know so much about the show I'm hoping you might have the answer to my question...or at least who will. As you already know the songs on the Hunter show have been replaced since the originals aired. On the episode entitled "The Snow Queen" part one there is a song that replaced the original. I'm trying to find out what it's called and who sang it. The new one , not the one it replaced. I'm hoping you might know or point me in the direction where I could find out. I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been searching everywhere and cannot find an inkling. I know one of the main lyrics goes "I want a real girl not a "insert word i don't know here" doll laying beside me.". Also mentions a guy named Jimmy and hustler magazine. Anyways, please let me know. Thanks, Heidi C. Saunders

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users