-

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official VERA DRAKE Review Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 01:37 PM

Director Mike Leigh's latest film has been mentioned in some awards threads, but I think it needs one of its own.
Topsy-Turvy (1999) is in my collection and Secrets & Lies (1996) is high on my want list. Other noted Leigh films include Life Is Sweet (1990), Naked (1993) and Career Girls (1997). I really need to see those because this man makes great films.
Vera Drake is set in 1950 London. Conversations are still dominated by The War and rationing. The hair, costuming and sets are dead on, as are the depictions of the class system.
Mike Leigh has a habit of not telling his actors any more than they need to know. Imelda Staunton, who I hope wins something for this role, was the only cast member that knew going in that the subject of this film was abortion. Abortion was illegal of course, and the word is not even spoken until late in the movie.
I highly recommend you see this.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#2 of 2 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 23 2005 - 07:53 PM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Vera Drake". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule