What's new

Bose Acoustimass System (1 Viewer)

StevePC

Auditioning
I am think of replacement 5.1 speaker system with the Bose Acoustimass Series III 5.1 system. Are any of using this system within your home theatre? Would you reccomend them? What are the draw backs top small cube speakers and 1 sub woofer?

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Steve,

You can do better than Bose for the $$.

Bose isn't well-respected here. Do a search you'll figure it out.

Look into Axiom, Paradigm, Energy, etc. for small speaker options that will perform better than Bose.

JKS

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Hi Steve

Before the bashing starts, can you give us the size of the room.

Bose does have its limitations. The flexibility to upgrade surrounds, mains or center just isn't there. They are a great solution if the HT has to disappear into the decor.

You probably won't find too many bose supporters across the forums but if you do have the options I would recommend taking your time to sample other systems. Unless of course you are getting the system for free.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Also look at the Hsu Ventriliquist system.

Like others have said, do a search and you'll find the general consensus is that Bose is terrible, unless it's the only thing your significant other will allow you to have. One reason for this is that Bose refuses to publish the frequency response data on the speakers. Many people claim there is a large gap in the FR.

MikeWestdal

Auditioning
This is a perfect time to mention that I sold my Bose system and replaced them w/ Polk Lsi9's (frnt), Polk RTi4 (rear), Polk CSi3 (center) and Klipsch RW-8 subwoofer. It is a great system, clear, smooth. The LSi9's and Klipsch sub provide clear and punchy bass. I use them with a Harmon Kardon AVR 330 and Denon 2910 (that sometimes vibrates!).

The Bose was pleasant, and sounded good with simple vocal music and some jazz, but the acoustimass module simply could not provide any detail or clarity to music or movies. Bose is not very dynamic either. I am not bashing Bose, just listing its limitations. I sold the Bose on Ebay for a good price. Bose is OK, there are better speakers out there. Good luck.

mw, calif.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Skip the Bose, please.

There are lots of speaker setups that are as small, or smaller that sound MUCH, MUCH better and from a technical standpoint (output, frequency responce, etc.), smoke the Bose.

Don't know where you live, but there should be plenty of dealers around you that have systems like this.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
If you get the Bose you will be able to impress all your friends by telling them you you bought top of the line speakers. They will automatically ask if they are Bose and you will be able to proudly say yes. Sounds rediculous but its true... When i rave about paradigm reference set-up people always ask me if they sound better than Bose. After I say yes they just kind of smile.

Seriously, follow the recommendations previously offered in this post and definately do your home work before buying Bose. In the end you will find that the masses were wrong and you will end up with a better sounding speaker for the money.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Don't forget about the Gallo speakers. They have some small, well-regarded speakers with multiple placement options.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
What the .....! I just bought a Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III few days ago and came to the audio section of HTF for the first time and just saw all the Bose bashing! :frowning: Oh, well, at least I like the look and chose them based on the look. The others looked ugly!

I received a note in the box where they said contrary to the other manufactures that might sound clearer and attractive to novice and uninitiated people, they have designed their system to sound more natural and not artificial. I'm no audio guy, so what's that note? A propaganda?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well you bought on looks.... Nothing else matters all to much.....

Enjoy them as much as possible. They may serve you well. Most Bose owners go over to other people's theaters and living rooms and more often than not, end up feeling duped, especially when comparing costs.

Nothing wrong with a Bose system for those it satisfies the needs for.

Independent audio testing shows all bose systems performing realy poor. Their marketing department has been successfull in defending this with notes and statements about why they don't publish specs, ect..ect..

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
So, it’s not like the case of Edge Enhancement for video? You know, when they try to artificially make the picture look sharper? Anyway it’s too late for me and also I live in an apartment so I don’t have the possibility of playing loud.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

They actually put that in the box? They must be afraid that we are on to them.

Sam, can you still return them? You can definitely do a lot better for the same $$ or probably even less.

mylan

Screenwriter
No, it's not some golden ear thing that no one can hear except so called "experts". Bose will not even release their specs. cited proprietary reasons but most decent speakers and subs will perform better, however, given the fact that you are in an apartment, Bose will probably work
just fine.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Oh, come on guys -- Bose is EXCELLENT ......... marketing. Lord knows they sell well. Has Bose always been all hype or did they once produce the gear that would justify the marketing hype we see now?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Same size does get tough....

I wouldn't worry about all to much. In an apartment, it isn't a real bad choice in my opinion. And for many as I stated, it can really still be the perfect choice.

I push people away from the smallest speakers and subs, so I am not good to ask on this one.

The other thing Bose has going for it, is ease of hookup and use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks