-

Photo

Warner-When will the best actor/actress titles come out ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 09:01 AM

Warner has done a great job with their releases. Just about all the best picture movies are available....maybe just 1930's Cimarron from RKO. But where are the best actor/actress titles such as Spencer Tracy's Captain's Courageous and Boys'Town,Luise Rainer's The Good Earth, Ginger Rogers in Kitty Foyle, Jane Wyman's Johnny Belinda, Bette Davis in Dangerous, Min and Bill's Marie Dressler, Gary Cooper in Sergeant York, Victor McLaglen in The Informer, Paul Lukas in Watch on the Rhine, Paul Muni's Story of Louis Pasteur, Wallace Beery in The Champ, Lionel Barrymore's Free Soul, Katharine Hepburn's Morning Glory and Norma Shearer's The Divorcee.

Maybe a box set of Best Actors and one of Best Actresses.

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 09:24 AM

I still want more Elizabeth Taylor. Warner said last year at the HTF chat that The Sandpiper was coming, but I have yet to see it. I also want upgraded special editions of National Velvet, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?

Andy

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 10:53 AM

Frank, I totally agree with you.
I have said before that WB should put the Best Actors and Actresses pictures on dvd.
I've been waiting for most of them, specially for Johnny Belinda, Boys Town and Kitty Foyle.
But since we're talking about WB, I guess it's just a matter of time.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 11:16 AM

Rafael
Thanks for the post. I can only imagine the problems George Feltenstein goes through trying to decide which of the titles to put out with the many 1000's they have in their vaults. What an endless feast.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,512 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 11:45 AM

Deciding what titles to bring out on DVD is less a function of making a list, and more of querying what is available as far as replication elements on these films. Generally, the studio must first inventory, locate, inspect and then either restore or manufacture elements.

I don't think Mr. F has much free time.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 11:53 AM

I'd most like to see a Paul Muni set. Some more Ronald Colman would be nice, particularly The Prisoner of Zenda and A Tale of Two Cities.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 04:29 AM

More 1930's Clark Gable films would be nice.
San Francisco
Manhattan Melodrama
Red Dust
Too Hot To Handle
Test Pilot
Idiot's Delight

to name but a few.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 07:07 AM

Gary, I would add to your list China Seas and the movies Gable did with Joan Crawford.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Randi

Randi

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 08:37 AM

More Joan Crawford definitely! Also a Myrna Loy/William Powell set.

Miss Randi

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 11:07 AM

With people chipping in with comments about all the signature type sets they would like...is it time for another HTF chat with George Feltenstein and his crew from Warners.
Does any one of the HTF people have an answer to this ?

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 11:32 AM

I agree.

With mentions of "China Seas" and "Red Dust" from a few people here, why don't they simply issue a Harlow/Gable signature collection? they made five (six, if you count the gangster drama "The Secret Six") films together which would make an interesting collection. In Fact, the lack of Jean Harlow films on DVD is baffling to say the least (I know many Gwen Stefani fans now asking for Harlow films on dvd). I know "Libeled lady" and "Dinner at Eight" are coming, but they are really ensemble films in which Harlow was a bit player. Let's get some real Harlow in the house...I'm talking pre-code Harlow like Red-Headed Woman, Bombshell, and Girl from Missouri. She laid the path for the likes of Marilyn Monroe and Lana Turner and definitely deserves to be better represented on DVD. Rant over.

Reg
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
is it time for another HTF chat with George Feltenstein and his crew from Warners.

I've been wondering this myself, actually. They were hands down the top studio in 2004 in terms of DVD release, in my opinion.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 10:03 AM

Are any of the moderators able to answer the question of any future HTF CHATS with Warner or Fox or any other studio ? Please keep us up to date. They are always interesting evenings.
Thanks HTF .

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   DaveK

DaveK

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 04:15 PM

Quote:
Also a Myrna Loy/William Powell set.

Miss Randi

I agree. In fact I think they should have two sets. One for the 6 Thin Man movies, and another set for their other movies together.

Anyone have a list of what they are?

Forum Nav Content I Follow