Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Johnny Carson dies

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 of 88 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,921 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 01:54 PM

The King of late night is gone. Very sorry to hear the news. Brent

#22 of 88 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 01:56 PM

Steve Allen was the original. Still sad when the 2nd man dies.

#23 of 88 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 02:07 PM

Johnny, he was class all the way. When he decided to stop being on The Tonight Show he didn't feel the need to remain in the limelight. He lived his final years the way HE wanted, and we can only be so lucky. Thank you, Johnny. RIP. You were The Best!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#24 of 88 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 02:21 PM

Johnny Carson became an American icon. A shock and very sad loss.

#25 of 88 OFFLINE   Joe*R

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 02:49 PM

This truly is a sad day for television. My father was an avid tonight show watcher during the Carson years and cannot believe he is gone. He truly revolutionalized late night television and there will be no one like him ever again. R.I.P JOHNNY CARSON, WE'LL MISS YOU!!!!!!

#26 of 88 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 02:55 PM

RIP Johnny. Too bad he never did the specials that were rumored years ago.

#27 of 88 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,468 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 03:04 PM

David Letterman said today that all who came after Johnny (himself included) were just pretenders. Those of us who watched Carson for any length of time know why he earned the title of "King of Late Night". What I will remember most about the Carson era Tonight Show will be the wide variety of guests. To be sure, he would book whoever the hot new actor/singer was, but he also gave couch space to authors, businessmen, and plain old everyday folks who had something interesting to share. He also gave time to legendary performers during their last years to show them that people still cared. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#28 of 88 OFFLINE   Micheal

Micheal

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 03:08 PM

Very sad news... Bye Johnny, you'll be missed.
BLAM!
Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

#29 of 88 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted January 23 2005 - 03:19 PM

Like many here, I grew up watching Johnny Carson. 13 years after he retired, I'm still getting used to him not being on every night. RIP, Johnny. You will always be the King of Late Night.
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#30 of 88 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 04:19 PM

I'm old enough that I remember Steve Allan, Jack Paar and Johnny Carson very well. If there is a special place after this life, I hope they're having a laugh and a drink there.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#31 of 88 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 04:33 PM

Even though I was never into talk shows, Johnny Carson was such a huge icon that I knew of him and respected him....even watched a few shows. He was a part of everyone's life throughout his time on latenight.

The world will be emptier without him. Godspeed Johnny!Posted Image
Recently watched- The Interview, Trancers, Don Jon, Under Fire, Major Dundee: Extended Version, Brannigan, Used Cars, Hard Times, The Mechanic(1972), The Dogs Of War, Fast & Furious 6, The Vanishing(1993), Fast Five, Fast & Furious, The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"I have only three commands. When I signal you to come, you come. When I signal you to charge, you charge. And when I signal you to run - you follow me and run like hell!"

#32 of 88 OFFLINE   CherylWI

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 07:33 PM

Another piece of Americana is gone.

#33 of 88 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 08:18 PM

Enjoy your rest, Johnny.....and thanks for all of the wonderful moments. You are loved.

#34 of 88 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 657 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 08:20 PM

Such a sad way to start a new year. Just when I heard this past week he was still sending jokes to Dave, was pleased he was still thinking funny, so sad to hear this news. Thanks Johnny.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#35 of 88 OFFLINE   Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 09:10 PM

RIP King
"You can't be the first, and you'll never be the last, but baby, you can ALL be next! Woooooooo!!!"

#36 of 88 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 09:15 PM

[quote]

Another piece of Americana is gone.

[quote] One of the very best pieces no less. Funny, warm, reassuring in some manner.

Maybe the idea of a late night show or his schticks seems less impactful to people who grew up with cable plus a hoard of late night shows, but it used to just be him and then maybe the Tomorrow Show.

Carson was good enough that you really looked forward to watching him and hated when the show ended, sort of like classic SNLive.

It seems so long since he retired, but I guess it really isn't. I really didn't expect him to pass so soon, that's for sure.

#37 of 88 OFFLINE   Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 09:45 PM

I just received the Carson DVD set for Christmas and watched it with my Dad...We both had tears in ours eyes by the end from laughing so much. Growing up it was a special treat to be able to stay up and actually see the opening monologue of The Tonight Show and I feel like he helped develop my sense of humour. His timing and his reactions were key to his performance. I kinda always wanted to thank him... My favourite Carnac: Answer: Sis-Boom-Bah Question: The sound a sheep makes when it explodes.

#38 of 88 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 10:11 PM

01/23/2005: A sad day. Posted Image

Johnny was always a pleasure to watch. Just tonight I was watching one of his guest appearances on "The Jack Benny Program" (from Ocober 1963), which had Johnny playing the drums (pretty well too), as well as performing card tricks, singing, and dancing. A great episode.

Posted Image

I, too, recall the "Sis-Boom-Bahhhh" bit with Johnny and Ed. That bit cracked up Ed McMahon more than any other single gag/joke that I can think of on The Tonight Show. Classic stuff. Posted Image

I noticed tonight that http://www.amazon.co...&s=dvd&n=507846

http://www.johnnycar...rson/index.jsp#

Thank you, Johnny, for a lifetime of fun and laughter. ** SALUTE **

Posted Image

#39 of 88 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 10:33 PM

There's really nothing more I can say about Johnny Carson that haven't been said already. He was always funny, classy, and a gentleman. While I enjoy Leno, Conan, and Letterman, Carson stood heads and shoulders above these guys. RIP Johnny.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#40 of 88 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 11:12 PM

carson is one of a handful of people who truly deserve to be called A LEGEND -- and he will always be my favorite late show host. i still recall his final episode, with bette midler singing to him. wow. rest in peace mr. carson ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users