Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

why is it bad?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   PeterK

PeterK

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 07:08 AM

to hook up 2 outputs from one AVR to a single speaker? will this damage the reciever or the speakers or both? what if I had 2 recievers and hooked one output from each to a speaker, would that be damaging aswell? thanks. My AVR has an a/b switch? could I output both a/b to mains possibly? my reciever is te sony de-597.
Vin Diesel will never, ever buy Bose

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Benihana

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 08:24 AM

you will damage the receiver. when you do that, you are basically sending out information from one channel of the receiver, to the other channel of the receiver and it will short out the output stages. I did it before with an old receiver, had to send it in for repairs. If you have bi-ampable mains, which means dual binding posts, you can hook up the A speaker to one post, and the B speaker to another post as long as you remove the jumper that connects both posts together, but you won't notice any improvement, just leave it the way it is. If you want more power, just buy an outboard amplifier if your receiver allows you to hookup one, or sell the receiver and get a more powerful one.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, I fried an older reciever that way, back when I was young and dumb. Don't do it. You basically try to force a current across output devices that are already designed to force a current across speakers, so you send a huge amount of current and fry stuff.
"It sounds like it's barfing out the bass." - Zach

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 24 2005 - 10:41 AM

The simple answer is: you will get no sound if you hook it up either of the ways you mention, and possibly some funny smelling puffs of smoke Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnSmith

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 08:27 AM

Yes you'll blow the amp up, in both cases (two channels to one speaker, two amps to one speaker) You can use A-B switch to bi-wire, however no difference at all. Just use output wiring, as described in the manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users