What's new

Leave it to Beaver sets are on the way! (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The Digital Bits reported today that

I'm sure I'll be reading too much into this great news (in fact, it's hands down the best news concerning classic tv on dvd I've heard yet this year), but I like how the statement reads "complete seasons", as in more than one. It would be wonderful to know that Universal actually has plans to put out mulitiple season sets (not all at once, obviously) instead of just looking to create one season set and watch what it does sales wise before they make more decisions. I'd love this show to be given the green light for all 6 seasons. This is especially important in a series like BEAVER, because it got better each year.

Gary "good news indeed" O.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that the press release mentioned Beaver in passing, and didn't say another word about it for the rest of the (rather long) document. In the end, they didn't tell us anything that we didn't already know. Too bad; I'd love to get a release date. I suppose that means it will not be until after May, since the press release covered "everything" from Jan-May from Universal's TV-to-DVD offerings.

I predict Beaver won't hit until the last quarter of the year, probably after Halloween, to tie in with Holiday sales. And that Universal will tease us with it all along the way (much like the local newscast or the Entertainment Tonight episode that tells you right from the start that they have a shocking story that you won't want to miss, and they mention it every time they go to commercial, and it's the very last story they end up running before the closing credits roll).

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I'm thinking the same thing...having had this done before in the "Coming To DVD in 2004" chapter in that Universal/NBC promo DVD last fall. Included in that chapter was "The Bionic Woman" which wasn't included in the Jan-May announcements :frowning: "Be that as it may" :) I echo the "Beaver" posts here! That one's a sure buy for me :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ohhhh. I had only read the Digital Bits write up, not the press release from Universal. But you guys are absolutely right. Nothing new. I figured the way I was reading the DB news was too good to be true.

David is almost assuredly right about how Universal will just tease us with little hints here and there and the show won't make it out till the end of the year. And I'll bet we can expect nothing more than a first season set commitment from Universal. Any hopes that they will be committed to more than that is wishful thinking.

Gary "darnit!" O.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I wonder if there will be any bonus material? Wouldn't it be cool for them to have retrospects with main cast like Beaver, Wally, June, Eddie, et al?

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Sure, sure we want some neat extras, but not if it means a higher price for the set, ya creep. I sure hope the higher ups didn't hear you, or I wouldn't be surprised if they slugged you or something. :)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

David, with all the main supporting cast members still with us, I truely hope they give us at least a commentary track or two and hopefully a little reunion documentary. I guess it all depends on whether Universal wants to go the extra mile. I'm still hoping the Adventures of Superman set does the same thing (because those cast members are getting very old and time is not on the fans' side), but that's another story for another thread.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I don't know if the little squirt will pipe up unless we really give him the business.

There is this one episode where Beav and Wally are having some conversation while they are casually filling the tub and putting dirt in it (to leave a ring) so they can skip the bath.

Classic.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
If Universal is just teasing the heck out of us, I have half a mind to rat on them to Miss Landers and Mrs. Rayburn! And possibly even to Miss Canfield, Mr. Blair, and Mr. Foster, to boot! That'd show 'em! :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"If any guy's gonna rat to Miss Canfield, it might as well be me."

"Greg's sweet on Miss Canfield!"

"I am not! Take that back, you!"

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
The Beav on DVD? I am over the moon!! :D

Several years back, in the mid 1980s I believe, TV Guide ran an article about TV show characters and situations. I don't remember which character it was, or which TV show he was from, but the category was "Best insufferable twerp since Eddie Haskell."

Oh, to see June vacuuming in her pearls again... :D

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor

Who you calling a big ape... who do you think are giving me the business? I oughtta sock you one on account of you calling me a big ape!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Hey Lumpy Dumpy, you're a big ape!

I think outside of Hugh Beaumont, and Richard Deacon, most of the supporting cast should be available for commentaries, except for Stanley Fafara (Whitey), who died in 2003 and had a really rough life. Here's his biography from IMDB:

"In 1957, seven-year-old Stanley Fafara's mother took him to an open casting call for a new television series about a suburban family entitled "Leave It to Beaver" (1957). He had been working in commercials and television westerns since the age of four, and was somewhat of an old hand at auditions. He earned the part of "Whitey" Whitney, one of the lead character's best buddies. The show quickly became a hit, giving the young actor a dazzling taste of Hollywood fame and money which he would never forget. Stanley enjoyed six years on the sitcom, and after the cancelation of "Leave It To Beaver" in 1963, Stanley attended North Hollywood High School. While there, he developed a liking for alcohol and soon learned how to use his fame to best advantage. He became friendly with the pop-rock band Paul Revere and the Raiders and reportedly moved in with the band for a time. He discovered hard drugs in the mid 1960s, an unfortunate obsession that would dog him for many years to come. For a while, at his parent's insistance, he attempted living with his sister in Jamica, where he tried his hand at painting. But he couldn't abstain from his drug use. He then returned to Los Angeles at age 22, where he married briefly. Then to support himself he started dealing illegal drugs. Even worse, later he was convicted of breaking into pharmacies and sentenced to a year in jail. After being incarcerated, Stanley tried his hand at being a roofer, waiter and janitor before descending back into drug use, particularly heroin. He was in-and-out of rehab centers for many years, eventually getting sober in 1995 but not before contracting hepatitis C. At the time of his death he had been housed in a single-room occupancy building in Portland's skid row, living off his Social Security disability check of $475.00 per month."

Wow really sad. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks