What's new

HELP! No red color in my TV picture. (1 Viewer)

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I turned on my 30" Toshiba TV tonight and there is no red color in the picture. The TV is just 18 months old and, of course, out of warranty. Anyone care to speculate on what the problem may be? I tried turning the TV off and on several times and I also unplugged it for an hour and when I turned it on there was still no red in the picture.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Does it happen with all video sources? You may have part of a component video cable unplugged. Check all of the connections.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
It happens with basic cable through my antenna connection and also with composite and component inputs. It's got to be the picture tube. Any other speculation?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It could also be circuits associated with the picture tube, or even just the need to unplug and replug the picture tube socket (to clean any oxidized connections). All of these also need an experienced person to get involved.

Some picture tubes have three distinct filaments in the neck for red, green, and blue electron guns respectively. If one of the three is seen to be dark, the picture tube is definitely gone.

This one is simple, easy but would have to be a long lucky shot -- someone tampered with the service menu and turned down the red gain.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, it could be a simple contact problem in there, or something failed for the red gun. Might be a simple fix, but I would use a tech because of the dangers involved if you don't know what you're doing.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Thanks to all who replied but the problem seems to have sorted itself out for the time being. If it happens again, a qualified technician would seem to be the route to take. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks