Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shame On You (2006)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:55 PM

Dennis Quaid is writing, directing and starring in a movie bio of Spade Cooley, a legendary musician with a bad temper.
This will come 17 years after Quaid starred in Great Balls of Fire, a movie bio about a legendary musician with a bad temper.
This seems like a remarkably bad idea for a first time director. For starters, absolutely no one, except total early country music geeks, like me, know who Spade Cooley (1910-1969) was. He billed himself as the King of Western Swing and certainly had a popular West Coast band, but that was 60 some years ago. Are we going to have 2 hours of hot jazz interspersed with Spade stomping his wife to death?
These facts can’t be considered spoilers; I’m just referring to the man’s history. He got life in prison for first-degree murder.
I think Dennis ought to rethink this and do the Bob Wills Story. Wills was the “King of Western Swing” (although Milton Brown was the founder) and Bob was legendary as a bandleader, with a bad temper. However, unlike Cooley and Jerry Lee Lewis, none of Will’s wives died from other than natural causes.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-