• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Phil_L

Phil_L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:25 PM

I hire a big nationwide chain of cleaning services to clean my house. We have a set price and they just ask that I leave a check for the ladies who come to clean. Do I leave them a tip as well?

#2 of 21 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 02:08 PM

I think Miss Manners would say you should. Probably 5 bucks or so.
It's money very well spent. These are poor people with intimate knowledge of your life. You want them happy and on your side.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#3 of 21 Denward

Denward

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 03:02 PM

I have a woman who comes every week. I give her about 1 week's pay as a Christmas bonus every year.
~Eschew obfuscation~

#4 of 21 Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 03:07 PM

Quote:
I hire a big nationwide chain of cleaning services to clean my house. We have a set price and they just ask that I leave a check for the ladies who come to clean. Do I leave them a tip as well?

Well...as long as you dont have sex with them and leave a white cashmere sweater with a red dot as a tip, you'll be fine. Posted Image

Give the nice lady something.

#5 of 21 JonZ

JonZ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,793 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 04:56 PM

I used to deliver furniture and depended on tips to live.Whether I ate that day often depended on whether I received a tip,so I know what its like to need them and I always tip well.

My G/F used to have someone clean her house becuase its large and shes very busy. While the company made good money, none of the girls seemed well off and most drove crappy cars,were single moms,did this as a extra job,etc so she would tip them to make them feel appreciated and becuase they did a good job.

#6 of 21 Mark Philp

Mark Philp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 05:23 PM

If she does a good job, tip her. Most people doing cleaning are lucky if they make a little above minimum wage and they work very hard. You can be sure that all you pay the company isn't going to her. When I travel, I always leave something for the maid.

#7 of 21 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 03:31 AM

Since the lady works for a company, I would.

if she was independent, I wouldn't

#8 of 21 Phil_L

Phil_L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the advice guys!

#9 of 21 Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 09:05 AM

I don't tip my cleaning people. They are independent and come every other week. They charge $60 for probably an hrs work. $30/hr is plenty. I gave them another $60 for the holidays.

#10 of 21 Ron-P

Ron-P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 09:15 AM

Quote:
Do you tip a cleaning lady??

I sure do. I often suggest tips to my wife on how she can hone her cleaning skills.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#11 of 21 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 12:51 PM

Posted Image

"Cleaning woman??"

"CLEANING WOMAN??!!"
I don't like SPAM!

#12 of 21 Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 12:58 PM

When we used to have a cleaning lady - yes. Independent ones, too. It's still a hard way to make any money, we had 4 ladies show up at our house every 2 weeks. In an hour, they would finish the place - immaculately.

Sometimes, though, it doesn't need to be a monetary amount. You might give them something they want and you no longer use. In our case, a home exercise machine (unused for years) when we moved away.

#13 of 21 todbnla

todbnla

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted January 24 2005 - 02:29 PM

I agree with the others, thoug we don't have one currently, I have found if you give them a tip they will do a better job, the trick is not to give them too much or spoil them, then they expect more.
Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#14 of 21 Andy_G

Andy_G

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 09:06 AM

I agree with the others, thoug we don't have one currently, I have found if you give them a tip they will do a better job, the trick is not to give them too much or spoil them, then they expect more.

I agree that employees who are given bonuses tend to perform better, but the way you express this seems more than a little bit patronizing. We are talking about adults here, low wage adults, but not children.

#15 of 21 todbnla

todbnla

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted January 25 2005 - 09:34 AM

Adam,
I speaking in general, it seems if you "take care" of people that work for you its kewl and they perform better than if you did not but at a certain point that become used to you spoiling them and they expect it and even more, IMHO.
As far as from a house keeper stand point, my mother is 72 and she does this for her living even though she does not need to, she really does it just to be busy. It seems that people that have the money don't tip at all or very little and the ones that really don't have the money, DO tip, weird.

I guess to each his own.
Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#16 of 21 Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 11:05 PM

Tips are generaly appreciated. At least I have found them to work for me in the past - usually, by the time you establish that you will tip nicely, anytime you walk into a place you can expect more from the folks. Whether cleaning ladies, a restaurant you frequent (not a McD's...), cab drivers, etc. Some may allow another fare or client to drop through and instead prefer to help you. And, sometimes, like in nice restaurants, you may get the chance to order something special from the chef de cuisine that isn't on the menu, hasn't been served ever before, and is absolutely stunning. Have had all of the above happen.

#17 of 21 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 12:40 AM

I don't tip my cleaning people. I guess that's mainly because I'm not here when they come and they automatically charge my credit card so I don't leave them any money.
Quote:
Since the lady works for a company, I would.

if she was independent, I wouldn't
I completely disagree. Independants are the ones you should tip because they are doing it for themselves, the ones that work for a company may not even be allowed to accept tips.

#18 of 21 Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 05:55 AM

Think of it this way; she's probably cleaning your shitter.

#19 of 21 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 06:01 AM

That's her job.

#20 of 21 John Alvarez

John Alvarez

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
I completely disagree. Independants are the ones you should tip because they are doing it for themselves, the ones that work for a company may not even be allowed to accept tips.

Independents set thier price though where a company gets more than the cleaning person.
Do the same peple come every time?

Back to After Hours Lounge

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow