Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Errol Flynn boxset for April 12th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 of 104 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 10:19 PM

This morning Movies Unlimited website lists the 6 disc/5 title Errol Flynn box set for April 12th. Titles include Sea Hawk/Captain Blood/Elizabeth and Essex/Dodge City/They Died With Their Boots On and a special disc on Errol Flynn.

#2 of 104 OFFLINE   Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony

Second Unit

• 446 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 11:15 PM

Excellent news, hopefully we'll see more Flynn such as Don Juan over the next few years

#3 of 104 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 11:20 PM

Finally the Flynn Box has a release date!!! Can't wait to get my hands on this.

#4 of 104 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 11:24 PM

Wonderful, I've been waiting for Captain Blood for a while now! I assume this is a Warners release?

#5 of 104 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 11:33 PM

That's a fine lineup of movies with a nice mix of westerns and pirate classics. I'm intrigued by the extra disc on Flynn. Was there ever one of those one or two hour documentaries made on his life that TCM sometimes shows? It could be a lot more interesting than a lot of star bios, as Flynn could be a very naughty gentleman.

#6 of 104 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 11:38 PM

Btw, I'd also like to take this moment to thank Warner Bros. immensely for taking into consideration a concern that I previously had with the studio releasing these classic actor-themed box sets, and that is that they've avoided rehashing titles that were previously reissued in past sets - in this case, "The Adventures Of Robin Hood". Thank you Warner Bros. for recognizing that any fan of classic cinema and in this specific situation, Errol Flynn, would have obviously already purchased the Special Edition of Robin Hood along with the Warner Legends Collection and I'm happy to see that we are not forced to purchase duplicate titles with these new box sets. I hope the same consideration is offered with the inevitable Bogart set in future!

Posted Image

#7 of 104 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 21 2005 - 12:43 AM

I think the clue as to the documentary was dropped by George Feltenstein in his excellent interview with Robert Harris:

GF: Yes. We have a lot of Flynn coming up and a new documentary that will be part of a Flynn box set, and the documentary is called The Adventures of Errol Flynn and it's still in production right now and we have very high hopes for it.

RAH: Who is your documentarian on that?

GF: The people making that are Joan Kramer and David Heely, who made Katharine Hepburn: All About Me, and they're working on that right now. I just saw a rough cut on the third part yesterday, and it's really wonderful, and I'm happy to say that Olivia de Havilland participated in it, which is really a priceless contribution.

When she was in town to do her piece for Gone with the Wind, she agreed to talk about Errol… they made eight films together, so having her in there, along with Flynn's widow, Patrice Wymore and a lot of other impressive people who knew him and worked with him, and critics and so forth should be a wonderful thing. We generally do have these high profile documentaries.

I am soooo stoked by this, I can - to trot out the old cliche - hardly wait...

EDIT - www.moviesunlimited.com is listing it now for April 19 as follows: Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection. Six-disc set includes "Captain Blood," "Dodge City," "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex," "The Sea Hawk," "They Died with Their Boots On," and the exclusive documentary "The Adventures of Errol Flynn."
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 104 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 12:44 AM

I didn't think that Warner could top last year, but it looks like they're giving it their best shot.

Confirmed Boxsets:
Gangsters
Classic Comedies
Classic Musicals
Errol Flynn

Nearly Confirmed Boxsets:
Doris Day
Val Lewton
Looney Tunes V3

Rumored:
Bogart

It's shaping up to be even greater year!

#9 of 104 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:32 AM

Excellent news! Now how about releasing the 1938 version of The Dawn Patrol next? Other than Captain Blood that's my most eagerly awaited Errol Flynn film.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#10 of 104 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:41 AM

Great news on the Flynn box set! Posted Image

Quote:
Confirmed Boxsets:
Gangsters
Classic Comedies
Classic Musicals
Errol Flynn

And don't forget the British War Collection and the Ealing Comedies Collection, both upcoming from Anchor Bay.

Posted Image

#11 of 104 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
And don't forget the British War Collection and the Ealing Comedies Collection, both upcoming from Anchor Bay.

I was looking forward to those, but unless the transfers and extras (and none have been announced for the former) beat the R2s by a good margin then I won't be able to justify the outlay. I've a feeling AB have overcooked the pricing on this one. British War Collection price $89.98 ($80.98 at Amazon). Warners Classic Comedies set price $68.98 ($48.29 at Amazon).

It's not just content that make Warners releases winners...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#12 of 104 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 02:00 AM

Quote:
. I hope the same consideration is offered with the inevitable Bogart set in future!
NICE!
I hope the same logic & consideration is given to a Bette Davis Box. Posted Image

Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#13 of 104 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 04:38 AM

I didn't think that Warner could top last year, but it looks like they're giving it their best shot.

Confirmed Boxsets:
Gangsters
Classic Comedies
Classic Musicals
Errol Flynn

Doris Day
Val Lewton
Looney Tunes V3

Rumored:
Bogart

You forgot Garbo! (I hope!)

Tim

#14 of 104 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 04:48 AM

I believe that the Val Lewton set has been confirmed. One of the Warner reps recently said that it was coming this year. I'd guess that October would be a likely release date. I think Warner will get about 75% of my DVD spending budget if they keep this up.

#15 of 104 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 05:08 AM

Yes and Looney Tunes V3 is pretty much confirmed as well, I believe the films have already been preselected by Jerry Beck and are ready to be mastered...

#16 of 104 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted January 21 2005 - 08:30 AM

What's happened to the James Cagney Box Set?

If it does arrive, I pray it will contain Strawberry Blonde.

#17 of 104 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 08:46 AM

Maybe some restoration work on these Flynn movies was already done when they released the 2-disc SE of Adventures of Robin Hood in '03? I haven't looked at the disc in a while now, but I remember the Dodge City trailer looking pretty fantastic.

#18 of 104 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 09:03 AM

another winner from Warner.

Is there any chance that they will release Legends Vol 2 as well ?
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#19 of 104 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 09:57 AM

Great news!

didn't think that Warner could top last year, but it looks like they're giving it their best shot.

Confirmed Boxsets:
Gangsters
Classic Comedies
Classic Musicals
Errol Flynn

Doris Day
Val Lewton
Looney Tunes V3

Rumored:
Bogart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You forgot Garbo! (I hope!)

Also forgot the Peckinpah set & the Film Noir Box Volume #2

Fantastic year if it all pans out.
Death before Streaming!

#20 of 104 OFFLINE   Randi

Randi

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 04:36 PM

I will probably blind buy this set since I only familiar with Flynn as Robin Hood. I am going to trust Warners on this one and I have a feeling it won't let me down. I see his movies listed on TCM but I always wind up stuck doing something else.

Miss Randi

Forum Nav Content I Follow