What's new

Will there be a 30th Anniv. edition of JAWS? (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
I was reading about the DTS version of Jaws, and one of the things I read was a wishlist for the 30th Anniversary of Jaws, if one were to be released. I did a search, but could not find anything concrete if a 30th Anniversary edition is even planned.

Has anyone else found anything definite?

Steve

Haden

Supporting Actor
The first SE was pretty good for what it's worth. Not much more they could do other than giving us the full uncut 2-hour documentary from the laserdisc, and perhaps a commentary track with Richard Dreyfus and Roy Scheider.

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it is Universal, a company not adverse to re-re-releasing their product on DVD, so it may happen.

A lot of purists would like to see the original mono track included. I for one would like to see the True Hollywood Story on the making of Jaws; it was a little more frank than the truncated laserdisc documentary. The Scheider-Dreyfuss commentary would be a nice inclusion, too. How about a National Geographic Explorer feature on great whites also?

That said, I think the current DVD is terrific.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling there won't be another release of my favorite movie until the HD version.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If they re-released Jaws, it would easily be worth re-buying it if they included the full LD documentary. For posterity, I think they should put the mono track on it.

And of course any new extras would be greatly appreciated too:)

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
What this movie also needs is a high bitrate transfer. Jaws is pretty selling everywhere for $10 now. Universal could get the retail price back up to $20 with a new 2-disc SE.

-Reagan

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's not like it would even be hard to do.

2-Disc Set

Disc One:
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
5.1 Dolby Digital
5.1 DTS
Original Mono

Disc Two:
The Making of Jaws - Full Length
All extras from the previous DVD

Perhaps they could do some new interviews
The E! True Hollywood story would be cool, but I doubt Universal would bother to license it.
Doubtful about the commentary, though I do wonder what Spielberg's stance on letting the cast record commentary tracks. But, I am guessing he would frown on that.

I would just be happy with the above.

If Universal is willing to re-issue Apollo 13 with a second disc devoted to an "IMAX" presentation that is of interest to no one, I don't see why they could not do a new edition of Jaws to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the film. But, who knows, maybe something is in motion.

However, I do get the dreaded feeling that Universal is going to be one of those studios that will inevitably hoard its best titles for grand reissues on HD-DVD only.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Given this is Universal (the most incompentent studio) we are talking about, I would suspect a re-release with a new cover and maybe some other gimmick (ala Apollo 13 re-release). I would not expect a two-disc, with the mono track, full doc., etc. That would be asking too much from them.

EDIT: Spelling.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I agree with many of the ideas mentioned. It would be great to get a 30th Anniversary Edition with

16x9 2.35:1 Transfer
Original Mono Track
Feature-Length, Screen-Specific Commentary Track with Roy Scheider
All extras from the previous DVD/LDs
Any extras that have never been released on DVD or LD (deleted scenes?)
The full 2 hour documentary from the LaserDisc
Jaws: The E! True Hollywood Story (2 hours, probably about 1 hour and 20 minutes without commercials?, maybe longer?)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Besides the Star Wars Trilogy, which we pretty much can bet won't be released on any HD format anytime soon, Jaws would, without a doubt, have me seriously thinking about being an early adopter of the HD generation of DVD players.

Though a 30th Anniversary DVD wouldn't be bad, if that's what it takes to get the mono track back. I don't think the transfer on the existing DVD is awful by any means, so that's not as neccessary to me.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in too. ANYTHING to get the original track back. " Jaws may be a classic, but what it really needs is better splashing and gunshots!"

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Since JAWS is one of my favorites I would be in favor of a 30th Anniversary SE, but mainly because I'm interested in the whole documentary and more extras.

Elias A.

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I'd love to see a new Jaws DVD with the original mono track and the full length documentary, realistically I probably wouldn't buy this title again until the HD version comes out. With HD-DVD and Blu-Ray only a year or so away, and assuming that players and media will become affordable a year or two after that, I can live with my current Jaws DVD until the high def version is available. Of course, if it takes too long for Universal to issue Jaws in HD, then I might change my tune.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Does the laserdisc include the mono track? I currently have the widescreen VHS, and have been putting off getting the DVD because of the soundtrack issue...

CraigL

Screenwriter
I'm reposting this from June of last year....
-------------------------------------------------
Last night i was lucky enough to see a screening of a BRAND NEW print of Jaws here in NYC.

The good news: The print looked absolutely amazing.

The bad news: it utilized the same new sound mix that was used for the DVD,including new foley effects.

It was my first time seeing it on the big screen and was the last on my list of my top 5 movies ever to see there.
It's amazing how much more you can appreciate films when you see them in a theater on a big screen and with an audience. There are so many layers to this film and I'm truly amazed at how commercial it is/was and yet still has action, depth, tension and drama.

After the film was over, there was a Q&A session with one of the producers and Richard Dreyfuss and I got to ask the last question. I told them that I was 26 years old and this was my first time seeing it in a theater. There is a whole generation of movie-goers out there who have never seen it as such and I asked if there was anything special planned for the 30th anniversary next year (re-release?)? The audience applauded and some people in the front started chanting "re-release."

Both of them pretty much dodged the question and never answered it.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I don't know if I would classify them as the most incompetent. Right now I'm reserving that honor for MGM. However, Universal seems to be definitely one of the slowest in getting catalog titles released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks