-

Photo

Will there be a 30th Anniv. edition of JAWS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 OFFLINE   Steven Larson

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 03:31 PM

I was reading about the DTS version of Jaws, and one of the things I read was a wishlist for the 30th Anniversary of Jaws, if one were to be released. I did a search, but could not find anything concrete if a 30th Anniversary edition is even planned.

Has anyone else found anything definite?

Steve

#2 of 53 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 03:42 PM

The first SE was pretty good for what it's worth. Not much more they could do other than giving us the full uncut 2-hour documentary from the laserdisc, and perhaps a commentary track with Richard Dreyfus and Roy Scheider.

#3 of 53 OFFLINE   Ken Groulx

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 04:04 PM

Well, it is Universal, a company not adverse to re-re-releasing their product on DVD, so it may happen.

A lot of purists would like to see the original mono track included. I for one would like to see the True Hollywood Story on the making of Jaws; it was a little more frank than the truncated laserdisc documentary. The Scheider-Dreyfuss commentary would be a nice inclusion, too. How about a National Geographic Explorer feature on great whites also?

That said, I think the current DVD is terrific.

#4 of 53 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 02:31 AM

I have a feeling there won't be another release of my favorite movie until the HD version.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#5 of 53 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 21 2005 - 02:59 AM

If they re-released Jaws, it would easily be worth re-buying it if they included the full LD documentary. For posterity, I think they should put the mono track on it.

And of course any new extras would be greatly appreciated tooPosted Image

#6 of 53 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 03:07 AM

What this movie also needs is a high bitrate transfer. Jaws is pretty selling everywhere for $10 now. Universal could get the retail price back up to $20 with a new 2-disc SE.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#7 of 53 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 05:44 AM

It's not like it would even be hard to do.

2-Disc Set

Disc One:
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
5.1 Dolby Digital
5.1 DTS
Original Mono

Disc Two:
The Making of Jaws - Full Length
All extras from the previous DVD

Perhaps they could do some new interviews
The E! True Hollywood story would be cool, but I doubt Universal would bother to license it.
Doubtful about the commentary, though I do wonder what Spielberg's stance on letting the cast record commentary tracks. But, I am guessing he would frown on that.

I would just be happy with the above.

If Universal is willing to re-issue Apollo 13 with a second disc devoted to an "IMAX" presentation that is of interest to no one, I don't see why they could not do a new edition of Jaws to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the film. But, who knows, maybe something is in motion.

However, I do get the dreaded feeling that Universal is going to be one of those studios that will inevitably hoard its best titles for grand reissues on HD-DVD only.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#8 of 53 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 06:13 AM

Given this is Universal (the most incompentent studio) we are talking about, I would suspect a re-release with a new cover and maybe some other gimmick (ala Apollo 13 re-release). I would not expect a two-disc, with the mono track, full doc., etc. That would be asking too much from them.

EDIT: Spelling.

#9 of 53 OFFLINE   Scott Temple

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 06:30 AM

I agree with many of the ideas mentioned. It would be great to get a 30th Anniversary Edition with

16x9 2.35:1 Transfer
Original Mono Track
Feature-Length, Screen-Specific Commentary Track with Roy Scheider
All extras from the previous DVD/LDs
Any extras that have never been released on DVD or LD (deleted scenes?)
The full 2 hour documentary from the LaserDisc
Jaws: The E! True Hollywood Story (2 hours, probably about 1 hour and 20 minutes without commercials?, maybe longer?)
Lacey Chabert is so fetch!
My DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc library

#10 of 53 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 07:17 AM

Besides the Star Wars Trilogy, which we pretty much can bet won't be released on any HD format anytime soon, Jaws would, without a doubt, have me seriously thinking about being an early adopter of the HD generation of DVD players.

Though a 30th Anniversary DVD wouldn't be bad, if that's what it takes to get the mono track back. I don't think the transfer on the existing DVD is awful by any means, so that's not as neccessary to me.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#11 of 53 OFFLINE   AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 08:04 AM

Count me in too. ANYTHING to get the original track back. " Jaws may be a classic, but what it really needs is better splashing and gunshots!"

#12 of 53 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 08:34 AM

Since JAWS is one of my favorites I would be in favor of a 30th Anniversary SE, but mainly because I'm interested in the whole documentary and more extras.

#13 of 53 OFFLINE   Elias A.

Elias A.

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 09:45 AM

As much as I'd love to see a new Jaws DVD with the original mono track and the full length documentary, realistically I probably wouldn't buy this title again until the HD version comes out. With HD-DVD and Blu-Ray only a year or so away, and assuming that players and media will become affordable a year or two after that, I can live with my current Jaws DVD until the high def version is available. Of course, if it takes too long for Universal to issue Jaws in HD, then I might change my tune.

#14 of 53 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted January 21 2005 - 02:10 PM

Does the laserdisc include the mono track? I currently have the widescreen VHS, and have been putting off getting the DVD because of the soundtrack issue...

#15 of 53 OFFLINE   MarkBurton

MarkBurton

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 02:16 PM

You want to know what they could put on a 30th Anniversary of Jaws.
Check this site out...
http://www.jawsmovie...in/petition.asp
Doctorrrrrrrrr....Acula!

#16 of 53 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 03:51 PM

That link didnt work for me.

#17 of 53 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 03:54 PM

Yes, the laserdisc has the mono track.
-Jay

#18 of 53 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 06:42 PM

I'm reposting this from June of last year....
-------------------------------------------------
Last night i was lucky enough to see a screening of a BRAND NEW print of Jaws here in NYC.

The good news: The print looked absolutely amazing.

The bad news: it utilized the same new sound mix that was used for the DVD,including new foley effects.

It was my first time seeing it on the big screen and was the last on my list of my top 5 movies ever to see there.
It's amazing how much more you can appreciate films when you see them in a theater on a big screen and with an audience. There are so many layers to this film and I'm truly amazed at how commercial it is/was and yet still has action, depth, tension and drama.

After the film was over, there was a Q&A session with one of the producers and Richard Dreyfuss and I got to ask the last question. I told them that I was 26 years old and this was my first time seeing it in a theater. There is a whole generation of movie-goers out there who have never seen it as such and I asked if there was anything special planned for the 30th anniversary next year (re-release?)? The audience applauded and some people in the front started chanting "re-release."

Both of them pretty much dodged the question and never answered it.

#19 of 53 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 03:27 PM

Quote:
Given this is Universal (the most incompentent studio) we are talking about...
I don't know if I would classify them as the most incompetent. Right now I'm reserving that honor for MGM. However, Universal seems to be definitely one of the slowest in getting catalog titles released.

#20 of 53 OFFLINE   Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 02:17 AM

30 years!?!?!?!?

Man I feel old Posted Image