Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Ken Crane's DVD Planet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Jim Kirkman

Jim Kirkman

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 02:48 PM

I noticed on the Digital Bits site a link to an online store called "DVD Planet". Clicking on this link takes you to a site called Ken Crane's DVD Planet.

Anyone familiar with this company?

Your experiences and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Jim

#2 of 11 DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 02:59 PM

They've been around for awhile. I've only ordered a few things from them (I primarily shop at DVD Empire), but everything has gone smoothly.

Moderators, can you move this thread to the online store forum, where it belongs?

------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#3 of 11 Jim Kirkman

Jim Kirkman

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 03:04 PM

"Moderators, can you move this thread to the online store forum, where it belongs?"

Oooops. Didn't see that forum. Sorry!

Jim

#4 of 11 Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted June 10 2001 - 03:08 PM

I have been very pleased with my orders from Ken Crane's. The last order I made online on a Friday afternoon, the discs were in my mailbox the following Monday... granted I only live 50 miles from their store, but their order-fulfillment process is obviously fairly well organized.

------------------
Posted Image

#5 of 11 Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 03:50 PM

Ken Cranes has been a respected supplier for years. Before DVD they were a popular source for LD's.

------------------
-Brian

Nothing decent has been done by committee since Stonehenge and the Pyramids. - JMS

My DVD List

~Brian

#6 of 11 Chris Smirnoff

Chris Smirnoff

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 05:18 PM

And I got kicked out of the store unjustly by that a-hole Ken Crane JR. himself, remember? He has already sold the store to the Image Co. before that, yet he still hung around like it was still his. You needed my business, jerk, but I don't need you.

#7 of 11 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 05:24 PM

Hey Jason, I actually drive to the store! Believe that? 25 miles...

Of course I visit my friend in Huntington Beach as well, I don't drive just for DVDs. But it's a nice pit stop while I'm down there.

You saw it firsthand this weekend. I'm a slave to the addiction, I drive anywhere for DVDs!

#8 of 11 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Screenwriter

• 1,463 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 10 2001 - 06:33 PM

Hey Carlo,
I actually travelled half way around the world from Australia, to visit their shop a few years back.
It was such an event, that I took photos of the shop to remember the occassion.( and bought a swag of discs)

I have been phone ordering Laserdiscs and DVDs(online) from them since 1987, with very few problems.

------------------

#9 of 11 Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 07:28 PM

I just drive down to Ken Cranes every time I want a DVD. I live only 15 minutes away. Posted Image

At 25% off retail price on ALL DVDs (including box sets) you can't go wrong! I buy all of my DVDs from Ken Cranes now.

- Brian

#10 of 11 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted June 10 2001 - 11:24 PM

I used to use them for years and never had any complaints, but earlier this year they raised both their prices and their shipping and it's now cheaper for me to buy at either brick & mortar stores or Laser's Edge. I keep DVD Planet in the mix in my spreadsheet, but so far, since they've raised prices, it's never been the cheapest way to go. Posted Image

------------------
"That audience - 12 to 19 year old pimply faced, mean spirited males - came, watched and went on to whatever god-awful other pursuits" USA Network CEO describing professional wrestling fans
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#11 of 11 Brian Alan

Brian Alan

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted June 11 2001 - 12:42 PM

You can't beat that KC selection, but lately they have had real problems keeping new releases in stock on the street date. For example, I had to go elsewhere for Superman (sold out day after street) and Big Trouble in Little China (sold out by 6 pm on street date). Otherwise, they are probably the single best physical store to visit that I have ever seen.