What's new

Please recommend a vodka (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm having a Russian couple over for dinner this weekend. I don't know squat about hard liquor, much less vodka.

Would appreciate any recommendations on a premium brand along with ways to serve (mixed, chilled?).

Also, when to serve...before, during, or after dinner?

Thanks!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While Grey Goose is now the "hot" brand, you can't go wrong with Stoli, especially if you're entertaining Russians.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Concur on that last post, however, if they are trendy, they may want the hot U.S. trendy brand...catch 22 ;)

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I have 2 bartender friends and they both say Ketel One is the best Vodka bar none.

I have to take their word for it because I am not much of a hard liquor guy.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
hehhe, could it be they were getting drunker after each filtration, thus seeming as though it tasted better/smoother? Everything seems better when you're drunk... :D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Grey Goose or Chopin (Polish potato vodka) are my favorites. I have not found any that are smoother. I know people who like Ketel One, but I find it is about the same as a Stoli or Absolut (i,e, medium grade). Best bet is to go to a large liquor store and see if you can get the expensive Russian imports. Russian Smirnoff (not American) is supposed to be fantastic.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Stoli's is one of my favorites, but I think the best I've had is Tito's vodka made in Texas, yes Texas. Smooooooooth.
web site

Phil_L

Second Unit
Another vote for Ketel One. Cargo Magazine did a taste test with "experts" a few months back and Ketel One was the champ. I felt completely vindicated as my non-expert taste buds reached the same conclusion. :D

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Dittos on the Tito's! If you haven't tried it out yet, you'll be surprised at how smooth it is:)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I would like to try that Brita filter trick. I have a feeling that there is not a whole lot of difference once you get into the more expensive vodkas.

I did a little research on how vidka is made. Basically, it is Neutral Grain Spirits (NGS) (100% or as close as you can get alcohol) with water added to bring the proof to the desired level. Since NGS is as close as you can get to pure alcohol, there are little to no impurities, so the only taste comes from the alcohol. In some countries (not sure which ones), liquor producers have to buy there Neutral Grain Spirits from the government, so the only difference in quality would have to do with the water, which is probably why the Brita filter works well.

This is why I cannot see spending $30+ for a liquor that is not aged and can be made from just about anything that will ferment.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Inferno Vodka

Brewed in the Niagara region of Canada. Comes with a hot-pepper that's been fermenting inside the bottle. The objective is to eat the pepper once you've finished off the the vodka, and then head straight to the toilet/emergency room to deal with the reprecussions.

Or Vanilla/Raspberry flavored Stoli.

Moe.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
If they are from Russia and don't spend much time in the states, I would go with a high-end local brand. I believe some friend's of mine got an Idaho potato vodka that was surprisingly good.

Ok... maybe have a bottle of Ketel in reserve in case the high-end domestic doesn't go over real well.

As for Stoli, that's probably their equivalent to Budweiser !

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I'm with Jeff on this one:

Grey Goose (French) or Chopin (Polish)

Also try Canadian Iceberg - made in Newfoundland Canada - Gold Medal winner 94/100.

http://www.icebergvodka.net/

All served ice cold (I keep mine in the freezer and drink it straight)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have tried the britta technique and while is does work I don't recommend drinking $5.00 Vodka filtered or not, try Seagrams extra smooth Vodka and the filter.

My personal favorite is Svedka.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Stoli used to be good, one of the best in the world. Can't go wrong with Finlandia, except that they are Russians. Chopin is excellent but again, I wouldn't serve it to Russians. Get a North American brand.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Absolut, Stoli, Tanqueray Sterling are medium to upper grade. Not really Bud, that would be Smirnoff. More like Heineken or Becks. The premium vodkas, like Grey Goose, Chopin, etc. are more like a micro brew. Or to compare it to scotch, Smirnoff would be J&B, Absolut would be Chivas and Grey Goose would be MacCallan or Glenlivet. About the same in relative smoothness, also.

By the way, I'm with Sami on this one. Finlandia and Chopin are out for these guests. Sammi can attest to Russian/Finish relations and I had a two week stay in Warsaw; which was more than enough to get a sense of the hostility Poles have for Russians. Try to find a good Russian import, as I said above.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I am grateful for the helpful suggestions. I'm stopping by Surdyk's, probably the best liquor & wine store in the Twin Cities, MN, to pick up Grey Goose and Stoli/Russian Standard or Absolut as backup.

This is a fun couple and they've lived in the US for the last 7 years. Given that it has been many years since I've consumed a substantial amount of hard liquor, I'm afraid for myself come Monday morning.

A Korean (myself), Japanese (my wife), and a couple of Russians, of which three speak English as a 2nd language. Hmm,...may end up sampling from more than one bottle.

Jeff - I got the sense that is indeed the case with regards to the chilly relations between Poles & Russians.

Users who are viewing this thread