Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sci Fi fans...If you could own and fly your own spaceship(s), what would they be?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 07:52 AM

If we were able to buy a few spaceships to fly around out galaxy and a few of the movie and tv classics are up for sale, what would be your choices?

It's hard to pick one but my choices would be the Melinnium Falcon, Enterprise D, Moya, and The Whitestar.

#2 of 43 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 08:00 AM

Easily a Shadow Vessel, from Babylon 5.

--
H

#3 of 43 john doran

john doran

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 08:03 AM

millenium falcon.

there's not even a close second.
 fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

#4 of 43 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 08:04 AM

I would want to fly at Ludicrous speed.

#5 of 43 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,574 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 08:51 AM

The Pan Am Space Clipper from 2001: A Space Odyssey - the best-looking spaceship ever in the movies...
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#6 of 43 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:02 AM

Millienium Falcon of course. I see I'm in good company.

What other would be a good one though?

Hmmmm.

The Enterprise E is pretty sweet. Not so much a flying living room like the D, but certainly a performance machine when you want room for hundreds.Posted Image
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#7 of 43 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:16 AM

can i get a star destroyer? no...i mean the really really big one?

#8 of 43 DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:34 AM

B-wing from ROTJ

#9 of 43 chris winters

chris winters

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 10:56 AM

the Falcon is way too high maintenence. That thing is always breaking down, and I woudnt know how to fix it. It would be in the shop every other weekend. A giant money pit Posted Image

I would take somthing more lush, probably one of the smaller star trek vessels assuming I had a crew to man her. Maybe Voyager.
Movies are like books, except you can't set your' drink on them, well.. unless its a DVD...oh nevermind

#10 of 43 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted January 19 2005 - 10:56 AM

Pearl Forrester's customized VW Microbus.

AKA "The Widowmaker"

#11 of 43 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 11:38 AM

"The Navigator" from Flight of the Navigator (or whatever it was called...although I could do without Max).

The Gunstar & Centauri's car from The Last Starfighter.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#12 of 43 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 01:54 PM

The Death Star for me, please.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#13 of 43 john doran

john doran

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 04:02 PM

Quote:
the Falcon is way too high maintenence. That thing is always breaking down, and I woudnt know how to fix it. It would be in the shop every other weekend. A giant money pit

I would take somthing more lush, probably one of the smaller star trek vessels assuming I had a crew to man her. Maybe Voyager.
i hear you on the maintenance, for sure.

but, c'mon - cn you imagine the sheer ecstacy joy of flying that thing? for my money, the best spaceflight sequences ever filmed - the ones that best convey the visceral ecstacy of flying - are ones involving the falcon. and the industrial asymmetry of the design....just beautiful.

there may be ships more powerful, faster, and more sleek. but there's not one that's anywhere nearly as cool.

so say i, anyway.
 fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

#14 of 43 Andrew Priest

Andrew Priest

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 04:11 PM

V'Ger. First off, unlike many other large vessels V'Ger is entirely self sufficient and sentient. Thus it can run and maintain itself - no need for the hassles of a huge crew. Certainly it's powerful enough to protect me from any harm, and the vast store of knowledge would make it the perfect galactic tour guide. I'd assume it would also have the perfect holodeck and even repairing the human body and bioenhancement shouldn't be difficult for that vessel. And is it fast or what? Consider that it covered whole galaxies in that short period of time.

But the real reason is the anatomically correct "companion" bots on demand. What other vessel can boast that?
I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.

#15 of 43 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 04:14 PM

The Andromeda Ascendant would be pretty neat, as long as Rommie came along in a package deal. Posted Image

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#16 of 43 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 05:26 PM

Quote:
The Death Star for me, please.

Just stay away from those small one man fighters, I wouldn't want something bad to happen to you Ricardo.

#17 of 43 Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 06:21 PM

Pearl Forrester's customized VW Microbus. The Widowmaker

Yay, Patrick! Posted Image

Oh, gads, if I could be named Admiral of my own space fleet, let's see here:

1. The Millenium Falcon.
2. USS Enterprise, circa Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but PRIOR to all the damage Khan does to it.
3. USS Enterprise, circa Star Trek the Next Generation.
4. Spaceball I, but only so I could salvage the Ludicrous Speed drive.
5. Lonestar's modified Winnebago, the Eagle V. No spoiled Druish Princess, please.
6. Super Star Destroyer (Executor) from The Empire Strikes Back.
7. Death Star - just let those pesky Borg TRY to take me on. I'll insist on repairing the little "flaw" in the design that allows those pesky 1 man fighters to get through. Does this count as a ship, though?
8. Discovery - Just make sure that Microsoft does NOT upgrade the HAL 9000 software. I don't know what would be worse, a paranoid, homocidal computer out to get me, or one constantly giving me the blue screen of death.
9. USS Defiant from Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
10. Cardassian Galor Class
11. Klingon Bird of Prey - with the nifty little trick from Star Trek VI that allows one to fire without having to decloak.
12. X wing fighter
13. TIE Fighter
14. Deep Space Nine - not really a spaceship, but a nifty space dock/repair/shore leave facility.

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#18 of 43 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 07:00 PM

Enterprise D is awfully tempting... though the crew quarters seem rather small -- would I get a suite? Also are we to include the dangers of Borg attacking as Lynda-Marie mentioned (are we to be in the universe of the show?). I'd definately like the Next Generation universe...assuming we could socialize with the crew. But I think I'd ask that the ship only go on relatively safe scientific expeditions... no more intentionally flying into harm's way. Maybe I'd be better off on the USS Pasteur.

But a close second would be... Firefly. Nice, homey ship, and a universe with plenty of colonies that look about as easy to acclimatize to as Australia would be to an American. And the lingo is shiny.

Moya seems like an easy ship to fly around, what with it being alive and taking care of itself pretty much, but the gold wallpaper interior design would drive me crazy after awhile. Still...nice people on board. Though they seem to be in peril quite often. And I might have a problem with Pilot being gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But his voice makes me laugh. Stand by for Starburst... and this is a special Starburst so [deleted before it was even posted]
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#19 of 43 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted January 19 2005 - 07:45 PM

Ricardo, one small piece of maitenance advice for the Death Star...patch up that freakin hole! Put a sheet of plywood over it or something. It'll be like driving around in a Pinto the size of a small moon if you don't. I also heard that it doesn't corner worth a damn. Posted Image

For me it would be The Millenium Falcon. I'm not worried about maintenance, i'll just get it fixed up on the new reality show Pimp my Falcon. Posted Image

Or

Spaceball 1, afterall, I break for nobody.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#20 of 43 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:37 PM

Since it is has not been spoken for - I will take the one and only original Enterprise. No freaking A or B or C or D or Triple DDD or whatever!

For runs to the corner store I would use a X-Wing.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

Forum Nav Content I Follow