What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just started watching the new BG series. I know they released the mini-series. Any ideas if the show will be released on dvd?

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!

Seriously, have some patience. A DVD release is inevitable, but it likely won't come until right before Season 2 starts airing. The same way the mini-series was released right before Season 1 started.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
They have only shown two episodes so probably at least 6 months to a year. You might want to watch the show if you get Sci Fi.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
You'll probably see a R2 release far ahead of a R1 release... the mini was out several months ago in the UK and they just aired ep12 there (one to go).. so if you're multi-regional.. I would exepct in the next few months (and at least THAT version will have the RIGHT THEME MUSIC!)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Guys relax. I don't expect it next week. But, I do know its been airing in Europe for a while and I was just wondering if I should bother recording copies onto dvd. All I was asking if its being discussed. Look at the tv show Lost. The show was out a few weeks and their was an interview with the creator about the extras for a dvd release that was almost a year away.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
These sorts of things are pretty much a given. Here's a general "rule of thumb" to follow...

Brand New Series + Good Ratings = DVD Release (usually right before the next season premieres)

...sometimes this doesn't always hold true (some sitcoms), but for most drama series, it does.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
Well it looks like the R2 release may be out at the end of March (28th to be exact).

Play.Com (and other R2 sites) are listing something, somewhat enigmatically called

Battlestar Galactica - Season 1 Part 1

The only info they give is that it has four disks and an SRP of 49.99GBP (Play are charging 39.99). It could be some re-release of the 70's show but that's currently available as a full series for 23.99 from the same site so that seems unlikely.

I've fingers crossed that its the new series

But if it is, why say Part 1? Four discs should be enough to cover all 13 episodes.

We may see it very quickly (in R2 land at least) as the mini-series was out on DVD only a couple of weeks after the show aired. The final episode airs here next Monday and looks to be a corker. I won't give any spoilers for people who've not seen the show yet. Just be warned although episodes do, for the most part, have self contained stories, there's a lot of development and changes. You do need to watch the 13 episodes in the correct order.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Even for short run shows, the UK tends to release in 'parts' (called padding the pocketbook). And they tend to release a lot more single layer discs, so (with some extras) 4 discs could be 6 or 7 eps... with a 'Season 1, Part 2' a coupla of months later. On furhter thought, it could be they will repackage the mini and 6 episodes as 'part 1'.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
The Play website has been updated. It now confirms that it is the new series and the release will include all 13 episodes of Season 1. So those of us in R2 land will have the show on DVD in about two months (well two months 7 days to be exact ;) )

John H Ross

Screenwriter

I heard rumours about changes to the theme music but I wasn't sure if it was just the first episode that had been changed or the whole series.

I'm in the UK and am thoroughly looking forward to next week's episode. It's been tremendous so far! But I'm intrigued... what's this new theme like? Can I assume that Richard Gibbs and/or Bear McCready wrote it?

John

Rick P

Supporting Actor

quotes from here...

http://rgmusic.proboards34.com/index...num=1099440941

11/2/04

"What I can tell you is that the main title sequence as it is airing in England has been quite controversial with the SciFi Network honchos. Where this is going to lead, I don't know yet. I'm keeping my head down for the moment."

12/20/04

"Okay here is the update. Apparently Bonnie Hammer (Scifi Network head honcho) has been very unhappy with the approach of the main title music as it is airing in England - too sad, I am told. Honestly I don't disagree totally - my first thought was to write a rousing main title way back when, but I was dissuaded from doing so at the time. At any rate they cut together a new piece of music consisting of a piece of instrumental score from the show going into the existing taiko drum piece. They asked me to "smooth it out" and improve it, but only slightly. I personally don't care for what they have done and have passed - they have basically squeezed the emotion from the opening, in my opinion. Bear is taking a stab at pleasing them now - I'm over it."

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
i dont see anything wrong with the title sequence and next week is the series finale so i cant wait for that

Rick P

Supporting Actor
percisely...

the UK theme music is perfect to set the mood, the music Bonnie Hammer and SciFi stuck on it is just... generic..

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Why is Bonnie Hammer still working for Scifi?? She once complained that their was too much scifi on the channel. :angry:

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Any news?

Universal would be crazy not to release the first season before season two starts (July 15th).

So this should be released in late June at the absolute latest.

Is there any chance this might still happen?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

No, she didn't. I do wish that people would stop falling for this urban legend (my assumption on my more charitible days) or lying about this (my assumption the rest of the time.) What she said was the science fiction wasn't only spaceships and ray-guns and the channel needed to appeal to a broader audience than teen-aged males - just like the genre did. And she's right. The best SF show on TV at the moment is Lost. Before that The X-Files had a pretty good run. What's wrong with the head of the Sci-Fi Channel understanding that? And making money for her bosses at the same time? ("No Bucks, no Buck Rogers")

Why is everybody bitching about the music instead of giving the woman credit for getting the show made (which it wouldn't have been with SFC's involvement?)

Regards,

Joe

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I think it's too late for it to come out by July now. I'm glad I have my R2 to tie me over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks