What's new

Best Recordable DVD Brand? (1 Viewer)

Tom Scholfield

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,
I am wondering if you can help me out, I just got a new DVD recorder, records +,- and +DL. I have a lot of stuff that I have shot that I would like to put onto DVD, but can any of you guys tell me what brand of discs are best and why?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I've been using Ritek DVDs since I got my player in Oct '03 with an extremely low defective percentage. I only have a 4x player, but sometimes I get the 8x because when theyare on sale. Aside from the near 0% of coasters, I couldn't tell you why they are so good, but a lot of people love these DVDs. They are a great buy. 100 pack for $40 at newegg.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Based on information from www.videohelp.com, I've only bought 8x TDK DVD-Rs. I've burned at least 40 discs so far, and I haven't had any problems. I think Best Buy is the only place that carries them, and they'll occasionally be on sale, $10 for 25 discs.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I've been using RITEK G04 media with few (if any) problems.

Another thread on this same subject recommended TAIYO YUDEN media, as they are the most reliable optical media in the world. (Unfortunately, I don't have any documentation to back that up.) Once I finish my current spindle of Ritek, I'll dig into the Taiyo Yuden and let you all know how they work.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'd steer clear of ritek G04 for now. check out the thread below regarding riteks recent qc issues. taiyo yuden is generally hailed as the best of the best. i've got a 100 ty dvd's arriving tomorrow. as soon as i finish off the remaining 40 riteks, i'm never purchasing any more.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/144253

kevin t

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
General wisdom has it that there isn't THE best DVD brand out there, rather it's a combination of which type/brand works best on YOUR DVD writer.

-Christian

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major labels. I've been getting Fuji lately at Best Buy, 50 packs have been dirt cheap. DVD-R, and DVD+R, no problems with any of them. I've used over 100 TDK's, and 50 Memorex as well, never had an issue. Just don't put those labels on them, the ones the cover the whole disc... I've had dozens of DVD players start freaking out from the heat/weight change the label and ink make. Just use a Sharpie!

T.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, i'm finished with the ritek's entirely. another failed burn. anybody wanna buy 40 ritek ridata dvd-r's?

kevin t

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree that there isn't really a "best" brand out there, but TDK and Maxell have always been consistent in their performance. Even back in the days when blank CD-R's were coming out, TDK and Maxell were tops.

I bought some cheaper DVD-R's at Circuit City. I forget the name offhand, but they were a bit generic and future performance has not been great. They burned successfully, but a bunch of my DVD copies have not held up to playback over the past year or so.

So remember, successful burns are not always the key indicator to a good brand.

EDIT: Doing a quick search on CC's site, I believe the brand is LiquidVideo :thumbsdown: Definitely not worth the $$ I saved by not getting TDK or Maxell (which I've not had problems with over the past several years now)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I have been using 4X speed Value Discs and have not made a single toaster. Using TDK drive and Roxio that came with it. I have always had good luck with budget DVDs.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I have had absolutely no problem with Ritek G04's. I have used about 80 discs and not one coaster.

With that said, I will be moving to Taiyo Yuden when I am done with this spindle.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Don't buy based on brand name. Buy based on the media code the discs use. Example: Ritek G04 are better than G05 in terms of quality.

The best archival quality discs are those made with Taiyo Yuden or MCC(Mitsubishi Chemical Company) media code.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Another satisfied Ritek user. I've burned hundreds of G04 discs with a 99% success rate. I prefer the shiny finish variety but have used white ink jet printables and siver matte finish with equal success.

The shiny finish discs are hard to find right now so I just received 100 pack Ritek Ridata G04 DVD01X0087-100 4X 4.7GB DVD-R White Printable for 47.00 shipped. The white discs work well with my thermal disc printer.

Burners:
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105
Current Revision : 1.33
&
NEC ND-3500 AG

I bought some Imation 8X discs to use until my last order arrived and they burned at 12X in the NEC burner.

-Gary

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
How do you tell what type of media code the discs use? For example, how do I distinguish the G04 from the G05? And people at newegg always talk about the Ritek RICOHJPNR01, how do you tell what that is?

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
imations were good for me also..philips were pretty good and very cheap..had a few bad disks, but like 1-2 per 50 spindle..got 200 benq's from futureshop and they are the best i've had so far..very nice disks, both cosmetically and performance wise..they are 8x and burn at 16x..loving it ;)

I've bought nothing but TDK for a long time and never once had a burn fail on me, or a burn not capture properly. I don't know if I just have a good burner, or i'm lucky, or if TDK is really good, but i've been very satisfied with them and my Yamaha burner.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
TDK discs (which I buy from Costco at $1.15 CDN a piece) have been the best so far. (The only coasters I make are when Windows XP SP2 screws up my firewire interface - replacing the firewire drivers with the XP SP1 version fixes it when I have more than one firewire drive on my system. Since I fixed them, I have not burned a single coaster since).

I bought a set of Ritek DVD-Rs. However, they might be the G05s, so I guess I'm playing with fire!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks