Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Recordable DVD Brand?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Tom Scholfield

Tom Scholfield

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 12:42 AM

Hey guys, I am wondering if you can help me out, I just got a new DVD recorder, records +,- and +DL. I have a lot of stuff that I have shot that I would like to put onto DVD, but can any of you guys tell me what brand of discs are best and why?
Thanks,
Tom Scholfield
TomScholfield@gmail.com

My Favorite Movie TheaterMy WebsiteMy Ever Growing DVD Collection

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 02:53 AM

I've been using Ritek DVDs since I got my player in Oct '03 with an extremely low defective percentage. I only have a 4x player, but sometimes I get the 8x because when theyare on sale. Aside from the near 0% of coasters, I couldn't tell you why they are so good, but a lot of people love these DVDs. They are a great buy. 100 pack for $40 at newegg.
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 03:08 AM

Based on information from www.videohelp.com, I've only bought 8x TDK DVD-Rs. I've burned at least 40 discs so far, and I haven't had any problems. I think Best Buy is the only place that carries them, and they'll occasionally be on sale, $10 for 25 discs.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 06:47 AM

I've been using RITEK G04 media with few (if any) problems. Another thread on this same subject recommended TAIYO YUDEN media, as they are the most reliable optical media in the world. (Unfortunately, I don't have any documentation to back that up.) Once I finish my current spindle of Ritek, I'll dig into the Taiyo Yuden and let you all know how they work.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 07:02 AM

i'd steer clear of ritek G04 for now. check out the thread below regarding riteks recent qc issues. taiyo yuden is generally hailed as the best of the best. i've got a 100 ty dvd's arriving tomorrow. as soon as i finish off the remaining 40 riteks, i'm never purchasing any more.

http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/144253

kevin t
religion is the opiate of the masses

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted January 19 2005 - 11:55 AM

General wisdom has it that there isn't THE best DVD brand out there, rather it's a combination of which type/brand works best on YOUR DVD writer. -Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Tom Fudold

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 12:35 PM

I agree, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major labels. I've been getting Fuji lately at Best Buy, 50 packs have been dirt cheap. DVD-R, and DVD+R, no problems with any of them. I've used over 100 TDK's, and 50 Memorex as well, never had an issue. Just don't put those labels on them, the ones the cover the whole disc... I've had dozens of DVD players start freaking out from the heat/weight change the label and ink make. Just use a Sharpie! T.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 01:38 PM

well, i'm finished with the ritek's entirely. another failed burn. anybody wanna buy 40 ritek ridata dvd-r's? kevin t

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 09:17 AM

I agree that there isn't really a "best" brand out there, but TDK and Maxell have always been consistent in their performance. Even back in the days when blank CD-R's were coming out, TDK and Maxell were tops.

I bought some cheaper DVD-R's at Circuit City. I forget the name offhand, but they were a bit generic and future performance has not been great. They burned successfully, but a bunch of my DVD copies have not held up to playback over the past year or so.

So remember, successful burns are not always the key indicator to a good brand.

EDIT: Doing a quick search on CC's site, I believe the brand is LiquidVideo Posted Image Definitely not worth the $$ I saved by not getting TDK or Maxell (which I've not had problems with over the past several years now)

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   RudyN

RudyN

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts
  • LocationMundelein, IL

Posted January 20 2005 - 10:03 AM

I've always used Imation cd/dvds and have never had any problems with them.
My DVD Collection

Gold Trader +21 on the Good Trader List

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   DanielM

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 12:43 AM

more info than you need http://club.cdfreaks.com/

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:22 AM

I have been using 4X speed Value Discs and have not made a single toaster. Using TDK drive and Roxio that came with it. I have always had good luck with budget DVDs.

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Neal_C

Neal_C

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 04:13 AM

I have had absolutely no problem with Ritek G04's. I have used about 80 discs and not one coaster. With that said, I will be moving to Taiyo Yuden when I am done with this spindle.

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 06:54 AM

Don't buy based on brand name. Buy based on the media code the discs use. Example: Ritek G04 are better than G05 in terms of quality. The best archival quality discs are those made with Taiyo Yuden or MCC(Mitsubishi Chemical Company) media code.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 10:44 PM

Another satisfied Ritek user. I've burned hundreds of G04 discs with a 99% success rate. I prefer the shiny finish variety but have used white ink jet printables and siver matte finish with equal success. The shiny finish discs are hard to find right now so I just received 100 pack Ritek Ridata G04 DVD01X0087-100 4X 4.7GB DVD-R White Printable for 47.00 shipped. The white discs work well with my thermal disc printer. Burners: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105 Current Revision : 1.33 & NEC ND-3500 AG I bought some Imation 8X discs to use until my last order arrived and they burned at 12X in the NEC burner. -Gary

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 05:42 AM

How do you tell what type of media code the discs use? For example, how do I distinguish the G04 from the G05? And people at newegg always talk about the Ritek RICOHJPNR01, how do you tell what that is?
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Dave_vega

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 07:06 PM

imations were good for me also..philips were pretty good and very cheap..had a few bad disks, but like 1-2 per 50 spindle..got 200 benq's from futureshop and they are the best i've had so far..very nice disks, both cosmetically and performance wise..they are 8x and burn at 16x..loving it Posted Image

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   MatthewKolden

MatthewKolden

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 06:47 AM

I've bought nothing but TDK for a long time and never once had a burn fail on me, or a burn not capture properly. I don't know if I just have a good burner, or i'm lucky, or if TDK is really good, but i've been very satisfied with them and my Yamaha burner.
I firmly believe that fish and humans can coexist in peace.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 08:53 AM

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

kevin t

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 10:02 AM

TDK discs (which I buy from Costco at $1.15 CDN a piece) have been the best so far. (The only coasters I make are when Windows XP SP2 screws up my firewire interface - replacing the firewire drivers with the XP SP1 version fixes it when I have more than one firewire drive on my system. Since I fixed them, I have not burned a single coaster since). I bought a set of Ritek DVD-Rs. However, they might be the G05s, so I guess I'm playing with fire!
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users