What's new

TV vs. Projector (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I hope I am not starting some type of great debate, and I hope that there are not other threads about the same subject, but can you guys give me the benefits of a TV (plasma, DLP, RP-LCD, CRT, etc) vs a projector or vice versa?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
If you have light control dollar for dollar a projector is the best thing.
I was looking at a brand new Hitachi Plasma screen yesterday and thinking that with my HTPC and two year old projector the PQ is the same, except my screen is four times bigger.

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, it all comes down to light control.

I've got an inexpensive projector that absolutely blows people away when the room lighting is correct. Looks simply amazing for less than a third the cost of a smaller RPTV screen.

But at mid-day in my living room, with winter (low angle) sunlight streaming past the blinds, its almost unwatchable, so we resort back to our 32" tube TV.

I'm not sure how much better an RPTV would do in my conditions, but any of the "really bright" technologies like plasma, CRT, etc. seem have the edge when the lights are on bright.

So, evaluate your room, and evaluate your usage case. If the windows will be open, or the lights on bright for a lot of your viewing, you'll need a brighter display. If you'll be watching more with the lights low, then a projector will get you unbelieveable bang for the buck.

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
I think one of the best things about a pj is that YOU control screen size. If you want only a 55" or 60" tv, you got it. But if you want a 120" screen you can have that. I currently am in a condo with a pj with a 76" screen. The best thing, again, is that when I buy a house and have more room I can upgrade to a 120" screen for a lot less money than buying a new tv!!
My 2 cents

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
So one advantage I am seeing is that the size of the screen is not as limited as it is with a tv, plus it takes less space? But one drawback is that the room needs to be as dark as possible in order to watch it, if I want to watch something during the day it would be difficult with the projector?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Bulb life is a factor. If oyu plan on doing lots of TV viewing on your projector you must factor in the cost of replacing every couple of years or so (depending on the number of hours on it). I use my PJ for movie viewing only, I have a second dvd player that the kids use to view extras material on.

But there is nothing like watching a movie on a large projection screen. TV cannot duplicate that.

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
Check out this link for some nice black out blinds that don't cost very much. There is almost always a way to somewhat control ambient light. This is what I'll be getting soon as well.

I got my projector about 3 months ago (SP5000) and will never go back to watching movies on anything else again. IMHO it is sooo much better than the movie theater for the obvious reasons (ticket price, snacks, BEER)You still need a "regular" TV for the other stuff because as Neil stated bulb cost is a factor. Besides who really wants to see Larry King or Bill O'Reilly on a big screen? But it is well worth it for DVD viewing as well as HDTV. There is nothing like watching a football game in HD on a 106" screen. As far as light control goes that is definatly a factor. I have my PJ setup in the basement with complete light control so not a problem here. But you can really get any curtains you want, than go to your local fabric store and pick up some blackout cloth and sew it on to the back of the curtains, that should do the trick. Depending on your "regular" TV you may still need some sort of light control anyway. I have a 65" mits RPTV and at times the glare comming in during the day makes it almost unwatchable.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
CRT based RPTV's are good for TV because the tubes will last 10,000 hours.
Projectors are portable and very easy to set up. All you need is a DVD player, a sound system and a blank wall.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
So far, everyone has shown nothing but praise for a projector, are there any fellow "tv" lovers out there?

BrianKR

Second Unit

Not anymore.
I am a recent convert from a CRT RPTV to a front projector. I use mine for everything... movies, HD, sports, basic cable and video games!!!
I will never go back to a small screen again!!!:D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm also a convert to projectors, but agree that if you're not able or willing to adapt the room for light control then it's probably not for you. With the projector I don't have to do the regular calibration nor am I bothered by the geometry issues of a CRT. I still have my CRT, but it's been relegated to the bedroom for conventional TV viewing and the occasional movie when I want to watch in bed.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Two main issues: light control and INPUTS. I have room for just one unit, so everything has to hook up to it: XBOX, PS2, LD, VCR, Satellite box, 2 DVD players ... I think that's it. I don't know of a pj made that can handle that.

But if you have room in the basement (or other dedicated room), they are the best $/inch value.

BrianKR

Second Unit

I have no problems running all that on my projector.
Here is my setup / list of components:
PC
2 DVD players
VCR
Xbox
PS2
GameCube
HD Cable Receiver

I run most of them through the processor/pre amp.

terence

Supporting Actor

I will co-sign on that! Front pj is where it's at, and i will never go back to the AKA BIG screen (really?) RPTV again. Once you see the that screen up on your wall, that's it, it's a wrap. I never looked at my old tv the same again, and RPTV's are cool if you do not have the enviroment for a pj. In some cases bigger is better.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the comments about light control. But I would also add that there's just something about light coming through the screen and image that has just never seemed quite "right" to me. Front projection is what the film-maker intended and designed for. The differences may be really subtle (or for all I know, lost completely in the transfer), and maybe it's just more of a matter of having a "proper cinematic experience", but that's how it seems to me.

TV I don't care enough about to waste bulb life on. I have the Tivo connected to the 4805 and I'll throw stuff up there if it's letterboxed (The West Wing, Battlestar Galactica, Enterprise), but otherwise we don't bother. The picture quality is just too pathetic, especially after one stage of DirecTV compression and a second stage of Tivo compression. (blech)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Any P/J (Infocus 4805) lover here too . If plasmas went down to under a grand for a 42" I think I would still have a p/j. No comparison. YMMV though, its not a one size fits all item.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I am in the minority here but the idea that I have to control ALL light is a turnoff for me. Maybe it is because I have never experienced a projector, but I am still getting a TV, 60" RP-LCD. Space is not an issue as my set up will be in my basement and when I finished it I designed it around the tv. Who knows, maybe if I would have really known how much the projector technology has advanced, I could have looked into it and designed for it.

So, I think only one other person has said they prefer TV's over projectors, maybe I am missing something :D

Kevin,

Some ambient light is generally okay, but think of it like a movie theater. They turn off all of the lights befor the movie starts also. With what you are going to spend on the RPTV you could definatly get a decent PJ and screen. Or forget the screen and just paint one on the wall like a lot of us do and spend the extra on the PJ. You wont regret it as I am sure others will agree.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
:frowning: OK, now I am "curious", can you guys recommend some screens and projectors that I could get for less than $3000?

I guess I opened up a can of worms after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks