What's new

Avcast video distribution system problem (1 Viewer)

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any experience with the Avcast video distribution system? I'm having a problem with the IR emitter/detectors and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this - or knows what could be causing this.

Quick summary:

It seems like the IR distribution system is working - just only sporadically. Maybe once in 20 times when I press a button on the remote does it work.

Long detailed version:

I am distributing video from a living room to a bedroom (and back).

In Living Room:
4 Media Casters connected to: DSS system, DVD player, VCR, and media server. All 4 Media casters are connected to a 4to1 splitter/combiner. The 4to1 goes to the wall terminal and then to a distribution box no more than 60 ft away. All 4 Media Casters are set to Antenna, with the dials set to 15, 20, 25, 30. Three of the Media Casters have IR Emitters (to the DSS, DVD, and media server) and the other Media Caster has an IR Detector. The "TV" connectors on the Media Casters are not connected to anything. They do not
have terminators on them. The audio/video connectors for the Media Caster that is supposed to connect to the VCR are not connected yet. I don't know if that matters or not.
In Distribution Box:
1 Cable Caster connected to: one cable going to the Living Room (see above) and one cable going to the bedroom (see below). The antenna line in and the other two NET connectors have terminators connected to them. The Cable Caster gets it's power from the IR Caster in the bedroom.
In Bedroom:
1 IR Caster. The IR Caster is connected to a TV, an IR Detector, and to the DC power. The bedroom is right next to the Distribution Box, so no more than 15ft of cable.

All green lights are on. In the bedroom I have tested the DSS and the DVD video and audio signals (they are coming in on channel 67 and 72, strangely) and they seem to be good signals with no interference or problems. When I try either of the IR Detectors (the one in the bedroom or the one in the living room) they both have the same problem - they only work maybe 1 in 20 times.

Whew....sorry for the long post. If you read this far, I appreciate it. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Brandon

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
Stuff to check:

Are all the splitters in between "DC Passing"? Some splitters block or filter DC or near-DC (very low frequency) signals, such as those used to transport the IR signal.

Have you tried simplifying the system to one Media Caster, Once Cable Caster, and One set of IR receiver/transmitter?

How's the behavior then? If this works and it gets worse as you add units, I'd suspect that the noise from each unit is stacking, maybe to the point that stuff stops working.

Remember that the IR-over-cable transmission is in a different part of the spectrum, so its possible that there's enough noise at those frequencies to jam up IR without affecting video/audio quality

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks