-

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol Season 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1422 replies to this topic

#41 of 1423 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 03:57 PM

The Vegas showgirl was the best looking girl I've seen who made it to the next round. I hope she's good enough to last several shows. Posted Image

~T

#42 of 1423 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,742 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 12:01 AM

The one that sang the Whitney Houston song?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#43 of 1423 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 12:29 AM

I really do enjoy AI, but the airtime that they are giving to people who just want to be on TV just drives me insane. Some examples are the gal in the pink pants Wednesday night, the yodling dude on Tuesday night, and to a lessor extent, the "Krunk" guy last night.

I love seeing auditions where the person really does think they are talented and are shocked that the judges don't agree. Balanced with/ the talented auditions, this makes for an interesting show.

But for the producers of the show to roll tape all day in a city on thousands of auditions and then air the audition of a gal who flat out admits she's using the show just to get on TV is stupid, IMHO. These people are fans of the show, not people serious about auditioning. I mean for goodness sake, the yodle kid had a notebook of AI trading cards. That's unstable, not interesting TV.

At least the "Krunk" guy made for funny TV, even though he clearly admitted he was there to be on TV. I'm sure it was too irresistible for the producers to not air his audition.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#44 of 1423 OFFLINE   Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 12:58 AM

Quote:
The one that sang the Whitney Houston song?

No, that was the cocktail waitress...there was an actual Vegas showgirl that sang before her.
Biggest laugh for me was the 44 year old that looked like Rick Dees.

#45 of 1423 OFFLINE   PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 01:05 AM

The "Krunk" guy actually had some talent in a hip-hop way, with dance and rhythm, I thought the judges were thinking about letting him go to the next round. My favorite was the Cyndi Lauper girl, I loved both of the songs she did and her personality.

I'm also still disappointed by the number of truly lame performers they put on the show. There have been several trying hard to fit the William Hung mold, before they even enter I know it's going to be bad because they are dressing like they are from the Revenge of the Nerds, so I know it is all for show.

#46 of 1423 OFFLINE   Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 01:48 AM

Funniest moment on AI thus far; last nights extremely fat psychic chick who couldn't sing a note in tune.

Kenny Loggins to an obviously not very good psychic pipes up with "well, I think this is a first, you just managed to kill two careers at the same time!"

#47 of 1423 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,742 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 01:56 AM

I was only watching bits of AI during Smallville commercials, but will watch the entire Wednesday episode after work today. So I only caught the waitress doing Whitney, and I didn't think she was that pretty. Posted Image Let's hope the showgirl is.

#48 of 1423 OFFLINE   dany

dany

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 02:09 AM

Some lookers this year. Hope they make it far to keep it interesting.
Get In My Belly.

#49 of 1423 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 02:23 AM

Didn't bother to watch. Had to floss my cat.

Posted Image

#50 of 1423 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 04:13 AM

Kenny's comment was great.

I think William Hung is a great contrast to what bothers me about what I've seen so far. I got the impression that William Hung's original audition wasn't an attempt to just get on TV. There was a sincerity about him that he believed he was good. That made it interesting.

I think several of this week's auditions were NOT an attempt to fit the William Hung mold, but a desperate, humiliating, and calculated attempt to get on TV.

Seems more so this season.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#51 of 1423 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 04:24 AM

The psychic was great, as well as her mothers reasoning for her predicting she would make the top 10 in Hollywood.

"She meant the 10th SEAT in Hollywood watching AI, not being in the top 10."

Oh. Posted Image

#52 of 1423 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted January 27 2005 - 01:06 PM

I wouldn't count any of them out considering some of the crap that made the top 10 last year.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#53 of 1423 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted January 28 2005 - 03:34 PM

Leroy "Krunk" Wells is in jail

Chris

#54 of 1423 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 01 2005 - 03:21 PM

A couple of really good singers tonight...especially that one with the jackass father, and best of all was that gothic opera girl. She was AMAZING.

#55 of 1423 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted February 01 2005 - 04:14 PM

Yeah, definitely some real talent this round. There's gonna be some stiff competing in Hollywood...

#56 of 1423 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted February 01 2005 - 11:23 PM

I always like it when the ugly/weird looking people have the best voices. But as Simon pointed out tonight to that girl who did the song from MY FAIR LADY, America will judge her on how she looks no matter how good a singer she is. And she was a good singer.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#57 of 1423 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,742 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 01:22 AM

While the blue-haired girl had range, I didn't much care for the timbre of her voice.

The blonde version of Clay Aiken did aiight.

Now, the guy that the promos kept pumping did okay, but he didn't blow me away.

#58 of 1423 OFFLINE   Evan M

Evan M

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 03:30 AM

My favorite was the black girl with the 2 different colored shoes.... great personality, not trashy looking/acting at all, great voice, great stage presence ... way better than anyone else I've seen in the initial auditions so far. Voice may not be the absolute best that's come through, but she's got a lot of other factors going her way. She should go far.

As far as "My Fair Lady" girl.. she may have even had a chance to get through to the next round, if she'd sung something a bit more interesting... but a broadway showtune, with that image, and with no stage presence to speak of... no way. I mean, if she had sung a pop tune and done it extraordinarily well (which is what someone who looks like that has to do... erase your memory of what they look like for the time with a extraordinary performance ... Take the "My dad hates me" guy for instance) or at the very least had a more interesting personality (A-LA: Purple hair girl)
XBox Live: Vanstorm

#59 of 1423 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 04:41 AM

This could be a great season since they expanded the age limit. IMO, no one has topped the Milli Vanilli guy who sang "Sunshine of my Life" on the first night in D.C. That is my pre-hollywood favorite right now.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#60 of 1423 OFFLINE   Phil_L

Phil_L

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted February 02 2005 - 01:26 PM

As much as I love this show, some of it IS indeed super staged and I just got proof tonight. One of the contestants went to college with me and he was always a comedian (he had a popular campus TV show), and actually had his own show on Comedy Central (Midnight with Chris Wylde) and was a cast member on Comedy Central's Strip Mall. He used his real name on AI (Chris Noll).

They said he was a "nanny" which may or may not be true. They conveniently left out the fact that he is an actor.

So either he punked AI or they were complicit in his faking out the audition process.