What's new

Battlestar Galactica - SciFi US broadcast thread (1 Viewer)

derek

Second Unit
I'm starting a thread for those following the new BSG series that debuted on the SciFi channel last Friday 1/14 here in the States. So spoilers only for those episodes broadcast on SciFi.

As a big time fan of the original BSG I hesistantly welcomed the new miniseries that debuted last year. I was impressed with the strong cast, great FX and storyline. Didn't care for the sexed up themes.
With the new series debut '33' and 'Water' I've come to the point of accepting Ron Moore's re-imaging as a distinct 'step-sibling' to the original series. Of all the things shared the one that bugs me most is the name/sex changes of some of our favorite original characters...but its becoming easier to accept those characters as completely new.
Really enjoyed how '33' continues with the blindsiding war action that puts torrid pressure on the crew and fleet. I was just glued for that hour. 'Water' continues with some character exposition for Boomer and delves into some of the great mysteries of the cylons/sleeper agents. We see too much of Baltar/Six. I feel they could have toned down the sex stuff while still showing the manipulative ways of Six. I do like the whole revelation of a religious motivations behind Six/cylons and the philosophical guilt banter between her and Baltar.
All in all I'm liking the grittier storyline and deeper insights into the human condition.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Being a fan of the original, I had mixed fellings about the new show.

I watched the mini-series, "33" and "Water". While the mini was disappointing to me, I thought that the first two episodes were done well and kept me interested. I will continue to watch.

It may become my new favorite sci-fi show to watch (I currently have none).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I wasnt real crazy about the reamagining either but I gave it a chance this time around (was boycotting Sci Fi the first time it was on) and I was quite surprised. I enjoyed the dark tone and the interesting characterizations. The only thing I am hoping, is that it doesnt turn into a cat and mouse storyline every week. That will get boring real quick.
I'll be watching every week and recommended the show to my friends as well.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I've only watched about half an hour of the miniseries so far (will record "33" and "Water" this week too). Very promising so far. Will come back to this thread later when I've watched all of it. :)

/Mike

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching "33" and "Water" late yesterday (hugs TIVO) - And I have to say that I am very impressed. Take the best parts of B5 and Farscape, spice it up with plenty of originality, and voila... The new BSG just rocks, plain and simple.

But the best part of the new show is in my opinion the performance of Edward James Olmos. Even if the rest of the show sucked (which it certainly doesn't), he would still make the show supremely watchable.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I too was impressed by the first two episodes. I quite liked the mini series and, so far at least, the series is even better. The new BSG just may turn out to be the best current SF TV series (not that is saying much.)

The first thing that grabbed me though was the "Firefly" camera work... in the other thread someone mentioned that the same FX group was doing the effects for this series so I guess its not really a direct rip off ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed the four-hour premiere when it debuted and have been looking forward to the actual series. Though I no longer have cable, a friend does and generously tapes the show for me to watch. So, last night I watched "33" and "Water."

I was blown away! This is Season 1 of Alias engaging. I was riveted for two hours of intense, perfectly polished, well written, sci-fi drama!

I suppose, objectively, these are nothing spectacular, they really grabbed me. The music is unique (compared to current shows) and creates a very strong mood. The camera style is herky-jerky enough to create a strong sense of immediacy, without being nauseating and confusing as in The Bourne Supremacy. The characters are diverse, interesting, and well acted. The stories do a good job of balancing stand-alone pieces while advancing the larger story.

My concern is that the show will burn out after one season and become Star Trek: Voyager (Deep Space Cylon). I don't know if it can maintain its story-development speed and plot intensity for more than one season.

But for now, this is outstanding TV.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I have to disagree that it will run out of material before the end of the season (though I am all in favor of single season shows to tell one great story...Band of Brothers was 10 episodes and didn't need any more to become the best thing ever to hit the television). I think they set up a lot of fodder for future episodes. Just responding to what was set up in the pilot could easily take a season. The "myth" of earth will be explored at some time. The role of "God" to the Cylons (heavily hit in "33" too). Though not mentioned since the pilot, the President has terminal cancer which could get to be a major plot point (most likely when the actress is done having fun on the series). Boomer is a Cylon (reluctant or not...hmmm). Helo's journey on Caprica (will he meet other survivors? Will this continually be a parallel plot to follow...no way he should be able to catch up to Galactica after 240+ FTL jumps...unless the Galactica returns for some reason). Food supplies. Politics of the convoy (looks like Richard Hatch has a big role in this bit if next week's promos are to be believed). Gaius and his continually descent into...what? Madness or acceptance of the Cylon way of life? Is it really Cylon implant or his ongoing guilt bugging him? Who left the "Only 12 types of Cylons" message in Adama's quarters? Are Cylons really evil? The implication is that the Cylons are simply doing a pre-emptive strike. They said in the pilot that if they didn't, the humans would eradicate them. Then there is the big picture view on war, poverty, famine, human rights, life in the military, military vs. non-military leadership, etc.

I think there is a lot to dig into. Yes, there will be cat and mouse from time to time. They ARE being chased, after all. That is like saying "I hope the Enterprise doesn't warp to another planet...I hate that stuff." It is a show about people running from something horrible. The moment they stop running (*cough* Battlestar 1980 *cough*) then the show is over. No more show. I think they have a crack writing crew so far and if they keep it fresh, keep is tense and (hopefully) give us a little triumph from time to time it will be a solid run of science fiction television, something very much missed on prime time television right now.

fil

:D

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I was not a fan of the miniseries when it debuted last year, as I found it to be very slow and pretty boring. I decided to give the series a try and quite like it so far. I do like the somber mood, though I hope the show doesn't become so depressing that it's no fun to watch. Also, while I like the handheld camera style, I think it goes a bit overboard when used during scenes in space. Pop zooms between space ships just isn't really necessary and makes the now already old and cliched style a bit silly.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Why is the techniques for shooting the space scenes old and cliched? Other than Firefly (which used the same FX house) which sci fi shows use the "hand held in space" style FX? Certainly the Star Trek shows don't (they haven't changed their style since the run of the Next Gen). Farscape used a more traditional style of sweeping space shots, as did B5. They all kind of looked the same, using the REAL cliched style envisioned by Lucas with Star Wars, namely that ships in space will fly like WW2 fighter planes. Not to pick a bone and I agree that for some style may not work but it certainly isn't old and unless I am missing other mainstream sci fi it isn't cliched yet.

Just sayin'. :D

fil

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I disagree. Finally, someone is using the this style in a in a way that is both artistic and useful. I noticed a few times that the camera is jerkier when the main character is a more nervous sort.

This is one of the few shows, like Alias and Buffy, that gets me shouting at the TV in shock and surprise :b .

A favorite moment in "33" was when Starbuck quickly reversed ship direction, using the nose thrusters to stop and rear thrusters to flip about the nose. It was great bit of eye-candy that also showed: Starbuck is a crack pilot, this is in space, and they've got a good SFX budget :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't get into the mini-series at all, but having acquired the original Sky feeds of the first two episodes, I have to say, this is going to become a regular part of my line-up now. Not sure where they're going with the Cylon that thinks she's human; it was fascinating watching her overcome her programming in "Water". And "33" was a truly tense episode. It's fascinating to see the way our current security nation has added depth and realism to the premise with details like the walls of the missing that look spot on.

I can't quite place the time frame of this show; they're in spaceships and there's some sort of unified government, yet the civilian fashions are pretty recognizeable when compared to our modern fashions.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Her Cancer was covered in the original mini, the NBC mini might have cut it, I do not remember it being shown there but in the Sci Fi it did.

Either way, I think he has left open a huge number of avenues to take and this show will hopefully go on for quite a bit.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Great news about the second season -- I will definately be looking for it.

As far as the camera techniques -- I'm usually not a fan of the Peter Greengrass shakey camera technique, but I think it works well here. I dunno, I could get used to it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On a side note. I was kinda bummed about the opening credits. Seemed very bland. Especially with the granduer of the original.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Phil, the handheld technique itself has become old and cliched since it has been copied so many times from NYPD Blue by similar cop shows, ER and countless others. Using the handheld technique in space is what I was referring to as just being silly.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Good to hear it's doing good. Finally a genre show to replace the vacancy of Buffy,Angel and Farscape.

I read somewhere that Ron Moore had already finished the first few scripts for next season so that is good news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks