-

Photo
- - - - -

Battlestar Galactica - SciFi US broadcast thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
685 replies to this topic

#41 of 686 OFFLINE   Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 06:06 AM

Assume the words are translations in the language they are speaking. Assume the entire show is translated into english for our convenience.

It would be annoying for them to have special words for "lemon" and "water" and "cancer" etc. We would spend the whole evening wondering what the heck every new words was. Remember centon, micron, hectare, yahren, secton etc.? Some were obvious, but others were used haphazardly by the writers so much we still don't know what they mean.
Dan Szwarc
Currently without a Home Theatre

#42 of 686 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
They should have just made this Earth in the future.
It is in Earth's future, just far enough removed for Earth to be little more than a legend. It makes sense for them to have terrestrial stuff - certainly more sense than to try and get us to buy parallel evolution or the "Earth is a lost colony" silliness.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#43 of 686 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,232 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 23 2005 - 06:10 PM

Quote:
After 15 minutes, it occurred to me there was nothing sci-fi about the dialog. Sounded like a standard cop or military TV drama set in any current-day, terrestrial urban setting. To amuse myself, I turned off the image and listened to it as a radio show. Couldn't tell it was happening in space, in the future, in any place less familiar than the local big city. Won't add this show to my list.
You say that like it's a bad thing. "Sci-fi" dialog, to me, never sounds real and and always dispells my suspension of disbelief. We don't talk about the components of our car engines. Why would people in the future talk about their warp drives or whatever?

#44 of 686 OFFLINE   Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 06:38 AM

Started watching this last week by watching the mini-series, the first 2 eps and then the new one on Friday.

I was sceptical at first but I like what it's doing and where it's going right now.

I also thought the water math was a little off. I was a little confused by the Apollo/President conversation about the Olympic Carrier. If they don't know for sure then they can't assume and then believe it was the wrong decision.

If the ship was full of people that we were not shown it still had nukes that were not their originally and it was still the right decision. That whole paper in the pocket thing suggests that she thinks she was wrong.

#45 of 686 OFFLINE   Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 01:40 AM

Quote:
Don't they have more than one shift?

Don't forget that Galactica was hours away from being decomissioned, and therefore only had a skeleton crew aboard when the Cylons began their attack. Not to mention that many crewmembers died in the attack itself.

As for the lack of "sci-fi" dialogue, Moore explains in his commentary for the mini that he deliberately avoided making things too alien, as "space"-lemons and "space"-clothing and "space"-blankey blank would only serve to alienate viewers from characters, rather than allow them to identify.
I'm happy with how it turns out later on in the series, where they explain what's happening in plain english, rather than just "Well, if we [tech] the [tech], it should give us enough [tech] to [tech]." "Brilliant idea! Then we'd just need to [tech] the [tech]!" "Exactly my thinking!"

#46 of 686 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,906 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 02:12 AM

I wonder if they have any episodes planned that were similar to the original series when the other Battlestar appeared? The Pegasus and Commander Cain.

ps-It would be a good way to resupply some vipers and pilots like the original did.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#47 of 686 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:10 AM

I think I missed this and I'm a little confused. The Boomer character aboard Galactica is supposed to be the cylon? And the Boomer in the planet with the soldier that was left behind is the real one?

When did that switch happen?
Andres

#48 of 686 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:24 AM

Greetings

They are both cylons ...

They have a plan ...

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#49 of 686 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 06:55 AM

So what happened to the real Boomer and when did it happen? I totally missed out on that.
Andres

#50 of 686 OFFLINE   Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:25 AM

So what happened to the real Boomer and when did it happen? I totally missed out on that.

There never was a real Boomer. She was always a cylon. Certain copies of her just don't know it.

RG

#51 of 686 OFFLINE   Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:25 AM

Show is good. Props from Linens'N'Things bad. I didn't enjoy seeing the President's toothbrush holder that's on sale for $19.99 here. Posted Image

#52 of 686 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:30 AM

Quote:
There never was a real Boomer. She was always a cylon.
Oh wow. That must have been a long bathroom break I took. Posted Image
When did they explain that there was never a real Boomer?
Andres

#53 of 686 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted January 25 2005 - 09:22 AM

Greetings

The mini series ... she was a cylon there ... right at the end of the show.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#54 of 686 OFFLINE   Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 10:30 AM

Hmmm... Boomer always being a cylon is not something I considered. Unless cylons can age, this wouldn't go unnoticed.

I still think that cylons looking like humans is a lame cop-out. They did it in Galactica 1980, too.

Consider this: Boomer (or any human cylon) is a copy of a human that was captured. That's why there are only 12 designs. the cylons aren't so stupid as to not know how to modify their human design slightly to get new designs, but maybe the technology to make a human looking cylon requires a master copy?

We will see what the show explores. If it goes more than 13 episodes, it could be very interesting.
Dan Szwarc
Currently without a Home Theatre

#55 of 686 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 11:25 AM

Quote:
Unless cylons can age, this wouldn't go unnoticed.
Considering that someone in the military would probably be expected to undergo regular physicals including X-rays and blood tests, or be in a situation where they bleed, it's quite possible that this type of cylon is organic enough that aging and growth isn't out of the question. Of course, that probably makes them properly some kind of genetically engineered clone rather than androids per se.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#56 of 686 OFFLINE   Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 02:09 PM

Boomer (or any human cylon) is a copy of a human that was captured. That's why there are only 12 designs.

Actually, I think a reasonable explanation for there being only 12 models is a philosophical one. I don't think it is a coincidence that there are/were 12 colonies and there are only 12 human-like cylon models. The cylons have illustrated that they have some ideology behind their actions -- "They have a plan". They are fixated on "God" -- Six kept chastising Baltar about it in one of the first two episodes, although it is unclear exactly what they consider to be God.

As far as the aging thing, I agree with Jason. If they are simulating humans so well, there is no reason their systems cannot accomodate the aging process, or at least the appearance of aging.

RG

#57 of 686 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 01:29 AM

Quote:
The mini series ... she was a cylon there ... right at the end of the show.
Oh, I remember that scene. But I took it to mean that somehow they got a hold of the real Boomer's DNA and made a cylon copy of her and the copy is the one they showed at the end of the mini-series while the real one was aboard Galactica. The thought of Boomer never being a real human never crossed my mind.

I mean, doesn't she have a relationship with Tyrol? Does that mean that he's beeing going out with a cylon all along?

As you can see, I'm very confused. Posted Image
Andres

#58 of 686 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,906 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 02:36 AM

Quote:
I mean, doesn't she have a relationship with Tyrol? Does that mean that he's beeing going out with a cylon all along?

Andres, Well, when a female Cylon and male human love each other. They... Oh! never mind.

Seriously, we can assume they are advanced enough to have sexual relations. As most episodes show Six and Baltar getting it on.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#59 of 686 OFFLINE   Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 05:37 AM

Depending what they do this could get very interesting. If Boomer has always been a Cylon but has spent all her life as a human, thinking that she is human, how will she react to knowing the truth? Does she completely change the way she thinks and act just because she didn't have human parents? Like I said. Interesting stuff.

#60 of 686 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 03:58 PM

Just watched the latest episode, the one with Richard Hatch, and I thought it was pretty darn good. I don't understand a lot (this was the first episode I watched), but I am in (especially since I just got TIVO...if you are a frustrated series-watcher you owe it to yourself to get TIVO).

My only complaint is the Starbuck character; I just don't get it.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow