What's new

Polk audio (1 Viewer)

KenP

Auditioning
I was thinking about getting the polk audio HT LSi15 System.
And i had a question about ohm and receivers. Does it matter if the speaker are 4 ohms and the the receivers was like 8 or 6 ohms . Also is there a a/v receivers that run at 4 ohms. And do you guys think that it is a good speaker set?

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
I run 3ohm towers with my Onkyo surround sub, it's rated for 110watts, the volume adjustment runs 0-75, and I never have to run higher than 40, in fact, running efficient speakers like my towers or the Polks, is the room filling sound you get from very little volume. If I watch a movie at upper 20's or 30, it's plenty loud! I'm usually right around 26-28 depending on the movie, and late at night, low 20's. I don't like to use the "late night" function on the Onkyo, that has settings to lower the impact or dynamic range, for lower swings in volume. My Onkyo has run these speakers just fine with no problems or overheating at all. I fully recommend Onkyo receivers:emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you do a search, the 4 Ohm thing has been answered a few times recently. It DOES matter.

The LSis will definitely like as hefty of a power supply as you can afford. NAD, Rotel, B&K, Arcam all should support 4 Ohm speakers and would pair well with those speakers.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
A 4 ohm receiver can dip down to 2 ohms or worse. This requires a very hefty amplifier and most receivers even flagships struggle w/ this.
I rec'd you look into a separate amplifier.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I set my girlfriend up with a Marantz SR5000 and LSi7s up front and it works OK. I set my brother up with a similar setup, an SR4200 with the 7s and it also works OK, but it also depends on what kind of listening levels and how large of a room you have. Both of those setups are in relatively small rooms and both are running only 3 4 Ohm speakers.

The 7000 and 5000 are about 6 years old....

To bring out their best and be 100% sure you won't fry tweeters, a stout receiver is recommended, and external amplification would be even better.

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator
I run my 4 OHM Advents with my Panasonic SA-HE100. The reciever is rated for 4-8 OHM's and it does so with no problems.

Joey_V

Second Unit
Man, I dont know about running LSi15 through a receiver. I have an LSi9 setup running on an HK330 though.

You have to worry about being able to drive that 8" woofer the 15s got.

KenP

Auditioning
The 7000 and 5000 is six years old. javascript:smilie(':eek:')
eek Now i looking at some jbl can't really find a 4ohm revecier. The Jbl run at 8 Ohms and already have a JVC revecier the 6030 actually but, I was think about replace it with the 8040 and getting the northbridge series since they run at 8 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks