Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any news on Welcome Back, Kotter???

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 of 86 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,454 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 06:09 AM

I've read the pressure to continue Chico after Prinze's death was because at the time three seasons was not considered enough to get a syndication deal.   So money influenced their thinking on that point.   The real insult though was not being forthright at first about Prinze's death until the two-part episode later in the season when they finally stopped insulting the audience on that point (and Jack Albertson I have to admit gives a very moving performance when he finally has to openly admit that Chico died).

#82 of 86 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,548 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 16 2014 - 06:07 PM

I've read the pressure to continue Chico after Prinze's death was because at the time three seasons was not considered enough to get a syndication deal.   So money influenced their thinking on that point.

Gilligan's Island, Julia and What's Happening!! made it into syndication with only three seasons each.

NBC barely had any other sitcoms in 1977 and very few hits in general. Redd Foxx and Demond Wilson both left Sanford and Son for other series on other networks, and that's why Sanford Arms happened and why they were desperate to keep Chico and the Man going without Chico.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#83 of 86 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,454 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 06:33 PM

Gilligan produced more episodes in three seasons than Chico had. I'm going by what Komack and others were recalling in a book "The Show Must Go On" which is about how various shows dealt with the matter of major cast members dying and the thinking at the time was that with only three seasons, it wasn't going to be enough.

#84 of 86 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 04:44 AM

Gilligan's Island, Julia and What's Happening!! made it into syndication with only three seasons each.

Generally speaking, networks like to see 100 episodes for syndication.If you google it, there are lots of articles on the topic.http://en.m.wikipedi...ki/100_episodes

#85 of 86 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted September 17 2014 - 05:52 AM

Generally speaking, networks like to see 100 episodes for syndication.If you google it, there are lots of articles on the topic.http://en.m.wikipedi...ki/100_episodes

I had always heard 65 was the magic number in those days, since it yielded 13 weeks of new episodes with the series being repeated only 4 times in a year.The Munsters is a good example of that, with only 70 episodes produced.

#86 of 86 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,454 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yes, but syndie deals in the late 60s I think were different from what they'd be a decade later. By then, I think more episodes were considered necessary to net a more lucrative deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users