Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Recommended)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
121 replies to this topic

#41 of 122 OFFLINE   Emmett Maguire

Emmett Maguire

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:56 AM

My wife really liked this movie. I wasn't able to watch the extras as the disc locked up again or we would have been up half the night. (This is my time to myself normally as my wife sleeps three hours a night more than I)Posted Image

Regards
Emmett

#42 of 122 OFFLINE   Jim Barg

Jim Barg

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 10:12 AM

Is the stuff on the Wal-Mart disc the same thing that was on the Best Buy disc that they gave out last fall?

No. The featurette is different, and it includes the teaser trailer that wasn't on the Best Buy disc.

#43 of 122 OFFLINE   Porfirio

Porfirio

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 10:40 AM

Here's some thing interesting. I think the Wal-Mart bonus disc might have originally been intended as a Best Buy exclusive. According to DVD Profiler, the Disc ID reads: SKY_CAPTAIN_BESTBUY (FBA 146A3)

#44 of 122 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 11:00 AM

groundbreaking movie if ever there was one. i'm really looking forward to watching this one on my ht ... very loudly i might add.

the visuals are the obvious mind-blower here, but i even liked the story. now how cool is that?

Posted Image

#45 of 122 OFFLINE   Jonathan

Jonathan

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:51 PM

The DVD does not show up on my receiver as EX encoded. I had to manually select it on my receiver.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
- Office Space

---------------------------------------
My DVD Collection

#46 of 122 OFFLINE   Lyle H.

Lyle H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:56 PM

Sam Goody has this for $19.99 but it came with a free Sky Captain t-shirt.

#47 of 122 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 08:17 PM

I liked this movie alot when I saw it in the theater and liked it even more after watching it a second time tonight.
I picked it up today at wal-mart(with bonus disc). I watched the movie again and the 2 Brave new world documentaries along with art of sky captain tonight.
After watching the brave new world docs, I have a new respect for the movie. I was amazed to find out how much of a low budget project this started out as. They really did a nice job with what little budget they were given to do this movie.
I loved the whole art direction on this movie, the serial feel to it, the futuristic aspect, the way it was shot, everything. This is a very good DVD with nice features, although I have'nt seen all of them yet, the ones I have seen so far are done really well. If you have not seen this movie yet I would definitely recomend it.
"Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main"?

#48 of 122 OFFLINE   Porfirio

Porfirio

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 03:05 AM

I had the chance to test out the easter egg that I posted earlier today and it didn't work. Anyway, here's the correct process:

Quote:
From DVDReview.com

From the DVD’s Main Menu go to the 'Special Features' section. Here, go to the second page of features and highlight the menu entry 'The Original Six Minute Short.' Now press the 'Left' arrow key on your remote control to highlight the 'Extra' banner on the newspaper. Press the 'Enter' key

#49 of 122 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 06:54 AM

Nice, I will have to check this out when I get home tonight.
"Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main"?

#50 of 122 OFFLINE   Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 09:20 AM

I bought this today as a blind buy and will be watching it shortly. With my wife! Posted Image

Quote:
Andrew, as I mentioned in another thread, my copy froze at just past the 62 min. mark. The sound carried on though, which is a first for me. I was staring at Gwyneth Paltrow's head taking up the whole screen while the soundtrack had them on the flying aircraft carrier.

Are there problems with anyone else's copy? I have a Pioneer 578a and it has been problem free so far.

I have the 578a also so I'll look for that at the 62m mark. I haven't had any problems so far with mine either, so we'll see. Did you check to see if it happens again?

#51 of 122 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 01:58 PM

I just finished watching the disc and I had no problems with it (sony dvd player). I enjoyed it when it came to the theater and am enjoying it now. I would like to see some more adventures but that may not come to pass.

#52 of 122 OFFLINE   Mark H

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 01:41 AM

Just ordered the HK release (2 Disc with DTS). Will report my findings when I receive it.

#53 of 122 OFFLINE   Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 02:11 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was dreadful. I was looking so forward to seeing this but it just didn't deliver for me. Sure the A/V was great, but that novelty quickly wore off about a half hour into it and there wasn't much left to keep me engaged. The lapse in continuity in the beginning lost me and I just couldn't buy into it after that.

#54 of 122 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 03:20 AM

No Bob, you're not alone. I quickly got tired of the whole "sepia" color of the movie and I think it tried too wayyyyy hard to imitate the old "serial" films of the 1950's and failed miserably. Although the picture and sound on the DVD were good, with the exception of the "sepia" color of the movie, it just didn't hold my interest either. I'm glad I didn't waste money on this in the theater.

#55 of 122 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 04:33 AM

I thought the visuals were FANTASTIC, the sound great, the atmosphere perfect, the look and style awesome...and the plot and pacing so-so. Not as fun as the Indiana Jones films, but still pretty good.

#56 of 122 OFFLINE   Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 06:50 AM

Scott KImbal
I thought the DVD version of the movie was sporting a 1:78 aspect ratio, instead of the OAR of 1:85?

Is this also not slated for an HD-DVD release in about 8 months?

Ozzie
P.S. I also loved the movie, but felt we needed more of Jolie!

#57 of 122 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 08:20 AM

Frankly, the difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 is not only negligible, but difficult to measure due to overscan. I have no reason to believe that Paramount would release the film in anything other than the OAR. They are very good about aspect ratios, and only seem to deviate on the occasional director requested and approved change (I.E. Star Trek VI).

As for an HD release, I would think any news you've heard would be speculative. Paramount plays releases pretty close to the vest, rarely (if ever) announcing titles that far in advance.

#58 of 122 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 08:59 AM

To anyone here who may know me: Is this film something that I might get any sort of enjoyment from? I'm strangely compelled by all this. Thanks.

#59 of 122 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,891 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 09:06 AM

I'd risk a rental, fun visuals, light on story.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#60 of 122 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 27 2005 - 09:18 AM

Not sure if we have the same tastes Jack but I absolutely loved it, it's an attempt to replicate classic serials with state of the art visuals. The first film of it's kind, no sets were built, the actors filmed entirely on green screen and blended into cgi sets. Could be the shape of films to come, eventually the actors themselves will be totally computer generated too.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

Forum Nav Content I Follow