Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pocahontas Anniversary Edition: May 3rd

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Skoobooz

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 04:55 AM

According to Amazon, Disney is releasing their long awaited Pocahontas special edition on May 3rd. No other details are available, but the listing is up.

http://www.amazon.co....v=glance&s=dvd

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,747 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 07:21 AM

Big fan of Pocahontas. Hope it gets the right dvd treatment.

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 07:24 AM

Hopefully they'll finish "If I Never Knew You" and put it back into the movie. Great song and a good moment that was sadly cut because little kids got wiggly during test screenings.

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 07:34 AM

I would like to see that as well, but I think it should be done via seemless branching so that the original cut would be present as well. Posted Image Looking forward to this though. Thanks for the info. I hope it pans out!
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 09:59 AM

This was announced a while back, when Alice in Wonderland came out, along with Lilo & Stitch. So L&S shouldn't be too far behind.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 10:06 AM

I'll pick this up on release date thanks for the tip. I also hope Lilo and Stitch isn't too far behind with the 2 disc edition.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 10:07 AM

strange that Mr.Rister wants If I Never Met You since posters on his site from the UK posted months ago that it was indeed finished and so was the reprise and put back into the film on the r2 dvd set.

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 10:08 AM

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Hunchback of Notre Dame: Masterpiece Edition announced soon for release in 2006 (10th anniversary of the film), as well as a two-disc set devoted to Saludos Amigos / The Three Caballeros. These were all released in feature-loaded laserdisc versions, so the supplements are already produced for the most part. Hopefully, Disney will spend some money restoring The Three Caballeros, because judging by the film's appearance on the last few home video releases, the film is in pretty bad shape. I'd also be on the lookout for a Hercules and Rescuers Down Under re-release one of these days.

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 10:13 AM

strange that Mr.Rister wants If I Never Met You since posters on his site from the UK posted months ago that it was indeed finished Posters on my site? I don't have a site. A friend of mine wrote me years ago telling me this was going to happen, and I read a statement from Disney saying that it was going to be on the DVD, but would it be inked and painted and interpolated back into the movie? That was my question. I have the rough version, like everyone else who owns the Laserdisc, but I've never seen a finished version. So was the reprise and put back into the film on the r2 dvd set. Well, that sounds great. You guys in the UK get the best covers, you get Natty Gann in widescreen, you get Song of the South, you get the stage version of Mary Poppins, and now you get stuff early, too.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 10:28 AM

Pocahontas, and the Lilo & Stitch 2-disc sets, have been out in R4 since December.

Specs are here:

Pocahontas

and

Lilo & Stitch

"If I never Knew You" is not inserted into the film; it's a deleted scene. The Lilo & Stitch DVD is excellent, with a DTS track, commentary and 80 minute making of documentary. Pocahontas is basically a port of the laserdisc SE (except it's anamorphic).

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 12:55 PM

"If I never Knew You" is not inserted into the film; it's a deleted scene. That's what I am afraid of.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 02:30 PM

Apologues, Mr. Rister. I had been told you are the guy who runs ultimatedisney.com. I could swear there was posts about the pocahontas months ago there that said If I Never Knew you and Its reprise were both completed and put back into the film.

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Mat_R

Mat_R

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 09:37 PM

I have the R4 disk and can confirm that the "If I never knew you" song is included as a branching option on the disc. As a side note you can ONLY listen to the commentary on the extended version of the film... Mathew Richards

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 02:04 AM

That's odd, it would seem to be the other way around, since they had already recorded a commentary for the laserdisc edition. Is the commentary a brand new track?

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 02:05 AM

"I had been told you are the guy who runs ultimatedisney.com." No, that's a nice guy named Luke who posts here every now and again.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,127 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 18 2005 - 02:24 AM

Pocahontas is easily the weakest link in terms of video transfers of modern-era (late 80s to present) Disney films, so I am hoping that this new release sets that ship aright. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 02:51 AM

Agreed, and the video quality of The Rescuers Down Under isn't much better.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 03:09 AM

I am glad to hear that.I DEFINITELY want the option to view the song sequence within the film itself, but I would have been disappointed to not have the option to watch the film without the sequence. I know it might sound anal, but I always like the option to view the original theatrical cut of a film. Though I know this is not the case of a "newly-created" song, but one that was part of the movie originally and cut...But still, I am hoping that the R1 release uses the branching option.
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 07:10 AM

Pochahontas should have a perfect transfer this time around - it was a digitally colored and composited movie, so they should be able to make the DVD "straight from the Digital source", no?
Roman Sohor, CTS

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 12:03 PM

They should and probably will. The present DVDs for Rescuers Down Under, Pocahontas, Hunchback, and Hercules were not mastered from their digital source, but they were also very early titles (except for Hunchback). Hunchback actually isn't too objectionable, I'd give the video a 2.5 out of 5, but the remaining three are very weak in the video department, and I'm positive they'll get the love their next outing on DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users