What's new

Repair Infinity BU-120 or replace? (1 Viewer)

Scott Miller

Agent
I have a 4 year old Infinity BU-120 150w sub (originally about $400)that quit working. I pulled it apart and found a blown capacitor. Researching here I found that this is a known issue with this sub. I bought the C6 cap repair kit through Harman for only $11 including shipping. My FIL and I replaced the cap and 3 resistors that came with it quite easily last night, but when I plugged in, the fuse blew immediately. So, something else is wrong. There is a burned spot on the board beneath some other resistors (which did not appear damaged), so those obviously got very hot. Replacing the obviously damaged parts was about as far as our "expertise" goes. Would it be worth trying to repair this amp, or should I just get the Dayton when it goes on sale again. Or...should I just buy a 120w amp from PE for $100 and make it fit in the enclosure I have? I imagine any repair shop I take this sub to is going to charge close to $100 to fix anyway, right?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be tough to find a plate amp that fits anywhere near the original hole for the amp, plus the bracing could interfere with a larger hole needed to mount a different amp. The other option is to plug the hole with some MDF, install a "cup" for the terminals for the driver to be connected to the amp, and have a separate plate amp installed in a makeshift box for it, if you are woodworking-inclined.

bullet

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Bracy
I have an infinity BU-160 that quit working. I went on-line to Parts Express and purchased a Yung SD200-6 200W Class D Subwoofer Amp Module w/6dB@35Hz. It was on sale for $89. The original plate opening had to be modified about a 1/4 inch but it's not too much trouble. My sub now sounds better than the OEM. It sounds cleaner and crisper and is much more efficient. I highly recommend this fix.
Bullet

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks