• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Esten

Esten

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 12:43 PM

Midnight Caller

What with Anchor Bay releasing alot of CBS shows, is there any chance of this? I was digging through some tapes from the 80s, and ran across an episode of this, and was quite impressed.

EDIT: It was indeed NBC. My mistake.

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 03:30 AM

I'm not sure I'd buy it, but I would at least rent it. I never watched it during it's original run, but saw several in re-runs (on Lifetime, I think) later and I really liked it.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Rita

Rita

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 05:42 PM

I would love to buy all the episodes on DVD...any news?

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 02:32 AM

I also liked this show quite a bit. I'd buy it.

"Good night America, wherever you are"

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   geallen

geallen

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 05:12 AM

I believe this show was originally on NBC, not CBS.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Esten

Esten

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 04:14 PM

Asked Warner in the previous chat about it, and as with everything.... no plans. Posted Image

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted May 13 2005 - 06:56 AM

I loved this show. I caught it when I taped episodes of it (and then later taped over) when it came on the WB station at 2 amd in the morning (five days a week) back in 1999.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 15 2005 - 08:13 AM

I loved this when it first came out

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted June 21 2008 - 03:58 AM

This is one of my top 3 most wanted unreleased TV shows on DVD. I saw some S1 repeats of Midnight Caller on ITV a few years ago. It was perfect scheduling showing it late at night. Not because it was rubbbish, far from it. It's best watched late at night.

I noticed in the Home Theater Forum chat with Warner Brothers last year and the year before that they had no plans to release it. Regarding TVShowsOnDVD's news article from a few weeks ago about stalled TV series on DVD I hope Warner Brothers sub-license Midnight Caller out to other DVD distibutors. If Shout Factory were able to release it on DVD they would do a very good job with it. I bought the Miracles: Complete Series boxset a few years ago which Shout Factory made, and that was really good.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted June 21 2008 - 01:51 PM

Would love to have this show. But like many others I want, the studios have no interest in releasing it.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Flashgear

Flashgear

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted June 21 2008 - 11:04 PM

Midnight Caller was a good show with great opening theme music. A smooth jazz instrumental, if memory serves by Earle Hagen?

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   beatlejam

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashgear
Midnight Caller was a good show with great opening theme music. A smooth jazz instrumental, if memory serves by Earle Hagen?

No, the "Midnight Caller" theme was by Rick Braun. You're probably thinking of the Earle Hagen tune, "Harlem Nocturne," which served as the theme for "Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer," starring Stacy Keach (another show I wish would come out on DVD).

I really enjoyed "Midnight Caller," and I would snap up a DVD release of it in a heartbeat.Posted Image

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted June 26 2008 - 02:56 AM

Also loved the show and would buy it on DVD.

I'm sure they could get the cast together for a documentary at least. I interviewed Wendy Kilbourne not too long ago and I asked her about it. She mentioned how much she liked doing the show.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,794 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 26 2008 - 04:57 AM

I guess this doesn't have anything to do with True Grit. Posted Image That's the first thing I thought of ...when "little sister" is going to perform all the parts of her play if Rooster will stop drinking and he says "let it go" or something. Posted Image Posted Image Anyway...carrry on...
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 10:15 AM

Was Midnight Caller asked about in the recent HTF chat?

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin View Post

Also loved the show and would buy it on DVD.

I'm sure they could get the cast together for a documentary at least. I interviewed Wendy Kilbourne not too long ago and I asked her about it. She mentioned how much she liked doing the show.

Jon, is your interview with Wendy Kilbourne available to view/read on the web?

Just done a forum search for Midnight Caller threads and found this one had a few replies in it, so I'm posting in this one. I know there are several unreleased shows which also deserve to come out on DVD. I'm just frustrated and angry with Warner Brothers because it seems like they have no interest in releasing Midnight Caller on DVD, yet they won't let anyone else release it (Shout! Factory would do a great job with releasing the show on DVD).

The Rick Braun theme tune is among my favourite TV theme tunes.

Ideally watched late at night Midnight Caller wasn't a glossy lightweight drama series, it had substance. I've only seen a small number of episodes (when it was shown late at night on ITV and I think a bit of a scene from the last episode when Midnight Caller was shown on the BBC back in the late 80's and early 90's) and just loved the atmosphere. I've wondered if the show was actually filmed on location in San Francisco. Checked on the IMDb a couple of days ago and in the filming locations section it does say that the show was filmed in San Francisco as well at studios in the city.

Looking in the Complete Directory book about network and cable TV shows Midnight Caller never made the Top 30 US network chart during it's three seasons (from 1988 to 1991).

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Dignan

Dignan

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 01:39 PM

Loved Midnight Caller when it was on.  Would definitely buy it if they put it out on DVD.

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,103 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 11:09 AM

If a DVD set for the first season was produced, then I'd like to see interviews with Gary Cole, Arthur Taxier, Dennis Dun and Wendy Kilbourne, along with other members of the cast including guest stars. Regarding the design of a front cover I think the ideal look would be a night-time scene of San Francisco in the background, and the lettering on the menu screens to be in the same style as the show's logo, seen in the main cast title sequence.

Also, if there were 30 second teasers before the start of every episode I'd like to see those included, and as well the correct Lorimar logo at the end of the end credits. In the back of my mind I thought Lorimar had something to do with the show. On the IMDb page for Midnght Caller it mentions Lorimar. As the show started in the 1988-89 season I would guess each episode ended with the Lorimar-Telepictures "fireworks" logo, with the second and third seasons' episodes ending with the Lorimar "marble" logo.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   jsalexandra

jsalexandra

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 23 2009 - 11:36 PM

Ya, i liked it too.

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted October 24 2009 - 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveCrest 

Jon, is your interview with Wendy Kilbourne available to view/read on the web?
Just realized I never responded to this.

Yes, it is.  You can read it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users