Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Q104.3 listeners in NYC.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,658 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted January 16 2005 - 11:36 AM

So I'm listening to the radio (the rare moment I'm listening to radio after getting Sirius through Dish Network) and I'm pondering the fact that they're always saying "the world's largest record collection" or something like that... Anybody else find it odd that a radio station (Clear Channel too.. ugh) would advertise that it has the world's largest music collection or whatever but never seem to play more than say 5% of them? I'm completely making up the 5%, I have no idea what the percentage of music that they play, I imagine it's probably less and I'm only considering classic rock albums.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted January 16 2005 - 09:03 PM

Wow, that was a post full of pure speculation with no facts to back it up.

Why don't you actually find out how many songs they have in their library (calling the PD would do it) and ask what their rotation is like and then get back to us.

And to answer your question, they would say "The world's largest record collection" for the same reason GMC would say "The Best Truck in the World." And the reason they only play a segment of every song ever released in the classic rock format is that many of them stink and the audience would turn the station off. People want to hear certain songs and those are the songs they play. The same concept is applied to your beloved Sirius.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,099 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 17 2005 - 01:30 AM

I think the Collection actually came over from 102.7 with Scott Muney, who we lost last year.

Yes, 104.3 has annoyingly adopted a very slim set of songs which they rotate. It is very frustrating hearing the same one song by bands you love 3 and 4 times a week. It's just the luck of the draw tho, if you listen for say 3 hours at a time you wont hear repeats but if you listen monday morning and tuesday night for example you may hear 4 or 5 from the same block.

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt