What's new

Top 100 DVD Census (2005 Edition) - Vote Now For Your Top 10 (1 Viewer)

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
Now that all the big releases of 2004 are out and you've gotten a chance to check out the discs and their special features, it's time again to put together a list of the Top 100 DVD Releases of All-Time. This 'census' was last done in January 2004, and the list of results was varying and certainly (in my opinion) interesting. Since this is done entirely by public vote, I have no more say in what wins than any of you! (So don't complain to me about the Lord of the Rings being #1 - I didn't pick it!

We're going to do things a little different this year by having a separate tally for films and TV on DVD.

For those of you who don't like to read a lot, post a list of your Top 10 DVD releases of all-time, and Top 5 TV on DVD releases!

Some basic guidelines:

You select the 10 DVD releases that you consider to be best overall, ranked in descending order of quality. "Best" is determined by two criteria: movie quality and DVD quality. It is meant to incorporate the DVD presentation of the film, but it's not entirely about the extras and DVD layout. Take both factors into consideration when making your selections. DVD quality includes audio/video quality plus the quality of extra features.

You select the top 5 best releases of television shows (including full season sets, miniseries, documentaries, etc.) using the same criteria.

You are voting on DVD releases, which means that The Godfather Collection is ONE vote, Toy Story & Toy Story 2: The Ultimate Toy Box is ONE vote, The Back to the Future Trilogy is ONE vote, etc. This year we will also consider a multi-film boxed set as a single vote - so the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions boxed set of all three films will count as a single entry.

Please only vote once. I'll be posting this on several Internet DVD forums as I did last year, since the idea is to make this a definitive list that the people decide. If you visit those other boards, please DO NOT vote on more than one forum.

And please be specific as to what release you are selecting. "Widescreen" version isn't necessary, but if you're voting for something like Lord of the Rings, please specify 2-Disc Theatrical or Extended Edition. I'm not really sure how to treat similar releases, such as separate DD and DTS versions (which just about never happens anymore) or something like the 4-Disc vs. 5-Disc LOTR releases and Spider-man 2-Disc vs. Collector's Set (in which the difference is mostly just physical extras). Most likely I'll just count them together, and list the more basic one with more votes with a note. In some instances, though, there might be need for separate counts (I'm thinking of something like E.T. 2-Disc vs. 3-Disc). Nonetheless, vote for what you want, I'll count them as they're voted, and I'll decide what makes the most sense once everything is tallied.

The overall Top 100 list will list the Top 100 *releases* (i.e. single items you could buy at a store) but I'll be also including a list where series sets are counted together.

Scoring is simple enough. Your 1st choice gets 10 points, 2nd choice gets 9, 3rd gets 8, and so on...onto your 10th pick, which gets 1 point. I will count your list from top (#1 - the best) to bottom (#10 - the 10th best) and ties or listing more than 10 releases will simply bump those releases off of your list - only the first ten items will be counted.

The resulting list will be the Top 100 DVDs based on points earned, and I may include a list of some DVDs that just missed the cut.

Oh and finally, if you'd like, you can include comments about why you picked what you did, which I would use on the results website.

The more representative this list is of DVD enthusiasts, the better is. The more votes, the better. Thanks!

The deadline for posting your list of 10 dvds of all-time and 5 TV-on-DVD sets is 7 February 2005

Winners will be presented on a web site on 20 February 2005, just in time for the Academy Awards.

You can see the results of last year's census here:

Top 100 DVDs List - 2004

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Ok, heres my top 10.

1. Alien Quadrilogy

2. Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Editions Box Set

3. Frankenstein-The Legacy Collection

4. Ikiru-Criterion Collection

5. Toy Story-The Ultimate Tox Box

6. Terminator 2: Judgment Day - The Ultimate Edition

7. Schindlers List

8. Rashomon-Criterion Collection

9. Ben Hur

10. The Ten Commandments-Special Collectors Edition

Runar_R

Second Unit
Just 10?! And ranking them?!

This is going to get difficult.........

Movies:
1.Alien Quadrilogy
For someone who actually likes ALL of the movies (Yes even part 3 and 4!), and absolutely LOVE the first 2, this is perfection.
2.Toy Story - The Ultimate Toybox
Toy Story 2 is still the best Pixar-movie (which is no small feat) and this set has Perfect sound/image, and as much info as you could wish for.
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Platinum Series Extended Edition
The first movie was the best (IMO), and the way it was presented in this version blew most people away. Lovingly assembled, it set the benchmark for which new releases will be measured against.
4.Magnolia
One of my favourite movies. Contains one of the best making-of documentaries.
5.Battle of Algiers Criterion Collection
This was a blind buy for me, and it ended up here. Powerful movie, with great documentaries on both the movie itself and the Algerian war
6.Fight Club
Still hanging in there.
7.Three Colours Trilogy
3 great movies, good extras
8.The Godfather Collection
Ok, so part 3 isn't that great. But really, this is essential to any dvd-collection.
9.Star Wars Trilogy
The holy grail for many movie-lovers. The fact that the ORIGINALS are nowhere to be seen bugs me. But what's actually ON the dvds are great. The movies have never looked better.
10.Film Noir Classic Collection
Another blind buy. Worth it just for the dvd of "The set-up". 5 great great movies

TV
1. Twin Peaks Season 1
Weird and wonderful
2. NYPD Blue Season 1
Good presentation of one of the most influential recent series
3.Futurama Season 4
Could have chosen any of the seasons really, they're all great
4. Sports Night Complete Series
Love the show
5. A personal Journey with Martin Scorsese
I believe this was a TV-production.

I was right. This was difficult. And I've most likely already changed my mind........

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
1. The Adventures of Robin Hood: Special 2-Disc Edition
2. Casablanca: Special 2-Disc Edition
3. Gone with the Wind: 4-Disc 65th Anniversary Edition
4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Platinum Edition
5. Phantom of the Opera: Ultimate Edition
6. Sunrise: Fox Studio Classics
7. 8 1/2: Criterion Collection
8. The Third Man: Criterion Collection
9. Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Special Edition
10. The Iron Giant: Special Edition

1. Walt Disney Treasures: Tomorrowland
2. The Beatles Anthology
3. Mr. Bean: The Whole Bean
4. "Weird Al" Yankovic: Live!
5. "Weird Al" Yankovic: The Ultimate Video Collection

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
FILM
1. Dances with Wolves DTS
2. Star Wars Trilogy (Though it's the SE versions, it's finally on dvd!)
3. Adventures of Indiana Jones
4. Schindler's List
5. Alien Quadrilogy
6. Master & Commander Collector's 2-disc
7. Black Hawk Down Deluxe 3-discer
8. Panic Room 3-discer
9. Open Range
10. Saving Private Ryan 1st release DTS

TV
1. Band of Brothers
2. Dukes of Hazzard S1
3. Three's Company S1
4. Different Strokes S1
5. Boy Meets World S1

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I don't have a very big collection, but here's my top 10 anyway:

1. Se7en - New Line Platinum Series
2. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - The Criterion Collection
3. Day of the Dead - Special Edition - Divimax Series
- The best of the trilogy. (Well, until Land of the Dead.)
4. The Herzog/Kinski Collection
- The only extras are the trailers and commentary by Herzog... But it's freaking Herzog and Kinski.
5. Pulp Fiction - Collector's Edition
6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - New Line Platinum Series
- Now THIS is how you do a special edition of a new movie.
7. Clerks. X - 10th Anniversary Edition - Collector's Series
- Did this really have to be three discs? Probably overkill but who cares?
8. Fight Club - Special Edition
9. Heavy Metal - Special Edition
- Lets see, you got a commentary track, the audio book, the entire movie in rough cut form... Enough said.
10. Jackie Brown - Collector's Edition
- I like this DVD just for all the cool trailers.

1. Invader ZIM - Limited Edition Boxset
- This thing isn't even out yet but I know it will rule. I already have the 3 individual volumes and they're great.
2. The Simpsons - The Complete 04th Season - Collector's Edition
- Lisa needs braces!
3. Futurama, Vol. 2
- All my favorite episodes are on volume 2.
4. The Critic - The Complete Series
- Another great show that died an untimely death.
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Season 1
- The video quality is questionable, but we got the completely unedited entire season. Hey, plus bonus episodes. All for 10 bucks!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
What makes this difficult is that there are DVDs I think are worthy of the top 100, but the best way to see that they make that list is to put them in my own personal top 10 which may mean to help get a DVD on to the top 100 list, I may have to rank it above DVDs that I think are better than that one but that I think won't be hurt by the drop.

1. WWE: The Rise and Fall of ECW
They didn't have to be honest, they could've rewrote history until they were blue in the face. But, since Extreme Championship Wrestling was never a threat to the WWE it allowed for the no holds barred telling of its history. The main feature the 3 hour documentary is the most in depth documentary that the WWE has ever put together, and is actually one of the best documentaries of any kind. The extra interviews and matches are a fine example of what the promotion known as Extreme was all about.

2. WWE: The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection
I haven't forgotten that I ranked this DVD set as number 1 last year, and there is still no better recap of a wrestler's career than this collection. It still is the standard by which I judge all wrestling releases, and honestly some releases of film series on DVD have pailed in comparison to this one. Yet, having said all that they could easily do another one and have it be just as good, which speaks to the quality of the material.

3. Walt Disney Treasures: On the Front Lines
This was not my DVD of the year, but it was in my top 10 and yet it ranks above a lot of those other DVDs on the all time list. How is this possible? This DVD more than any I have ever seen has drawn me in, I have been fascinated by the subject matter contained on this disc since long before the disc itself came out. I give Disney credit for releasing a lot of these shorts in to the market place. This may be the single most interesting DVD I own from a history standpoint. For as good as I find the LOTR ROTK EE or Star Wars sets, historical interest doesn't measure up to this one for me. Your mileage may very.

4. Star Wars Trilogy Box Set
Finally, that Galaxy of far far away has come to DVD. Luke Leia and the gang were definitely worth the wait as far as I am concerned. This DVD is in my top 10 not just because of how fondly I view the films, or for the wealth of bonus materials contained on it although I am awful fond of the films and the bonus features. This DVD for me makes the list because I've never known the sense of anticipation for a DVD release like there was for this one. 9/21/2004 was almost like a second christmas, and I was glad that this DVD was the present I got to unwrap.

5. Spider-Man 2, 2disc special edition
Just a tremendous DVD package all around by the folks over at Sony. It is rare for me to find a sequel that far out distances the original and yet that is exactly how I feel about this movie. That alone puts it in my top 10, but then when you add the wealth of bonus material highlighted by the documentary on disc 2, this one becomes a slam-dunk.

6. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Extended Edition
It is hard to know which of these box sets to pick. Never have I seen 3 movies given such a lavish treatment on DVD as I have found with these sets. So it was difficult to make my choice, and yet when it was all said and done I went with Return of the King. The films are all great and so that wasn't much help in breaking the tie, but what did help was the documentaries. Again they were also all great, but just the emotion I saw in some of the ones contained on this set when you had all of the major players talking about the conclusion to this journey which would have an impact on their lives on in to the future.

7. Alien Quadrilogy
Want to put an entire series of films in to one box set? Want to have that one box set stand out above all the rest? Then this is the box set whose standards you are going to have to exceed. The only complaint I have with this set is the digipack that it came in, and when we're talking about things to complain about and the biggest thing to mention is the packaging then you know you've done a good job.

8. Citizen Kane
Its not the flashiest box set in the world. Its not the biggest budgeted movie ever with cool lasers and great CGI. What it is is a classic piece of film history that was treated as such by the good people over at Warner. Top notch transfer, 2 fascinating commentaries, and this DVD contains my all time favorite bonus feature, the Battle for Citizen Kane which is the bonus feature that I have played the most out of all the DVDs I own.

9. The Monster Legacy Collection: Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman
These DVDs are sold separately and they were also sold together in a very nice looking box set with 3 slick looking busts. A lot of the films found on these 3 sets are very important parts of film history, and some of the special features I'm thinking of the commentary tracks do a good job in illuminating that fact. This box set was my introduction to a lot of these films and it was an introduction I was glad to have made.

10. Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs Platnum Edition
The first of Disney's platnum releases is probably still the best.

Television releases:
1. SCTV Network 90, Volume 1
Its a really terrific show which I was fortunate to rediscover on DVD. Yet, this sets bonus materials are also top notch and worth mentioning. Shout Factory did a really good job with this release so much so that I went out and bought volume 2 almost immediately after getting volume 1.

2. Seinfeld: The Complete First and Second Seasons
For many this ranked very high on their list of most wanted titles film or other wise. This set did not disappoint on any level both in quality and quantity of bonus material, and the quality of the show itself goes without saying.

3. NBA Dynasty Series: Los Angeles Lakers
I classify this as a TV release because all of the games were originally aired on TV. Warner has done a good job with all of the NBA Dynasty Series sets as well as some other NBA DVDs but I have to pick the Lakers one as the best because they are my favorite team. If you are a fan of basketball or more specifically the NBA then you can't not own all of these sets.

4. Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns
This would rank number 1 on my favorite DVDs of all time list. I started watching this set when I first got it and could not stop until I was finished. A more complete telling of the history of baseball you will never find, and I am glad to have this as part of my collection. This set is the most I ever paid for a DVD and it has been for me worth every penny.

5. The Simpsons: The Complete Forth Season
This is the standout Simpsons release for me which means it can't be left off a top 5 TV on DVD list. I think fox really got it right with this one and it was an extra special treat to have Conan O'Brien doing commentaries.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Films:

1 - Rear Window

2 - The Godfather Collection

3 - Casablanca (SE)

4 - Citizen Kane (SE)

5 - Star Wars Trilogy

6 - Dr. Strangelove (40th anniversary)

7 - Indiana Jones Trilogy

8 - North by Northwest

9 - Chinatown

10 - Vertigo

TV:

1 - The Dick Van Dyke Show

2 - Star Trek: The Next Generation

3 - The Andy Griffith Show Season 1

4 - Columbo Season 1

5 - I Love Lucy Season 2

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Woo! Here we go:

FILM

1. Fargo: Special Edition
One of the best films ever made, and a great little SE. Can't really ask for more.
2. Dark City
Another fantastic movie, with two great commentaries (and one from the excellent Roger Ebert).
3. Indiana Jones Trilogy
Just plain fun to watch.
4. Collateral
Great audio, nice extras, superb film.
5. Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 1&2
One of the most important milestones in animation history (to put it mildly), in a great dvd set.
6. Shawshank 2-disc Special Edition
One of my favorite movies...who would have thought it would come in a new SE? Great extras, GREAT film!
7. Total Recall SE
I just can't get enough of this movie. Is it Jerry Goldsmith's awesome score? Verhoven behind the camera? I don't know- but this movie is teriffic, and the extra documentary is excellent!
8. Star Wars Trilogy
Hah, need I say more.
9. The Ultimate Matrix Collection
I must say, this is pretty much everything I wanted to know about the Matrix...and at the end of the day, that's all I had hoped for when getting this set. Excellent stuff.
10. Starship Troopers (Superbit)
If there was a better looking, better sounding DVD, I havent seen nor heard it. And the movie is good too :D

TV

1. Invader Zim Boxset
Some of the best artwork and animation I have ever seen in a TV show. The last two episodes of the series are the best.
2. Seinfeld Re-Gift Set
I didn't expect to get Seinfeld on DVD anytime soon...and here it is, in my hands. Still hard to believe! And the extras...wow...
3. Futurama vol. 4
Any volume will do, but the cool slipcase artwork and good episode selection seals the deal.
4. Chappelle's Show
I was never a big fan of Chappelle until his show...jeez, what a funny show!
5. Batman: The Animated Series vol. 1
This is, hands down, the best score ever made for any TV series in history. This is Batman. There are no alternatives.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
MOVIES

Brazil: Criterion
Casablanca (Warner Bros. Studio Classics)
The Fantasia Anthology
The Godfather Trilogy
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Editions
Saving Private Ryan: dts 2 disc edition
Singin' in the Rain
The Ultimate Toy Box
Walt Disney Treasures: Disney on the Front Lines
What Dreams May Come: Special Edition

TV

1. Ken Burns' The Civil War (I mean, come ON, people. I know it was $120 bucks or something and few people own it, but if this doesn't make the cut, this poll has no validity whatsoever.)

2. Band of Brothers

3. From the Earth to the Moon

4. Walt Disney Treasures: Tomorrowland

5. The Beatles Anthology

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
1. Seven Samurai Criterion Collection
2. Warners Legends Box Set
3. Star Wars Trilogy box set
4. LOTR EE Boxed Set
5. Singin' in the Rain SE
6. Rex Steele: Nazi Smasher
7. Gone With the Wind 4-disc set
8. Indiana Jones Trilogy
9. Lon Chaney Collection
10. Ikiru Criterion Collection

1. Looney Tunes Golden Collection v2
2. Looney Tunes Golden Collection v1
3. Seinfeld S1-3 Giftset
4. Simpsons S1
5. Complete Monty Python box set

Shad R

Supporting Actor
1. Godfather collection
2. Star Wars trilogy
3. Indaina Jones trilogy
4. Fight Club 2-disc set
5. Gladiator-2 disc
6. Saving Private Ryan-new edition
7. Casablanca 2-disc(Ebert Commentary,Carrotblanca,restored)
8. Toy Story Ultimate Toybox
9. Top Gun:Special Edition-cool extras, great DTS track
10.Monty Pyton Holy Grail-great extras...brilliant

1. Simpsons season 1
2. Futurama season 1
3. The Critic-complete series
4. Invader Zim season 1-3(Ididn't know ther was a boxset)
5. Mash

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Movies:
1.The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition Trilogy
A unsurpassable benchmark -- every great DVD from here to the end of time will be compared to these releases. They are also among the best-looking/sounding discs in town. But that's just icing on the cake when you consider that these releases belong to some of the best films ever made -- in a brand-new extended cut. I'm not complaining!

2.The Alien Quadrilogy
Actually, I just own the first two films in their individual packaging, but even the Alien: Collector's Edition would be able to hold this spot on it's own. The branching versions on one disc is a wonderful feature, the commentary is A+ and the features are incredibly in-depth for a film shot nearly 30 years ago. Great transfer, too.

3.THX 1138: The George Lucas Director’s Cut (Collector’s Edition)
One of the most underrated movies of all time. Here's a $777,000 movie getting treatment reserved for gigantic blockbusters and modern masterpieces. The clean-up job done on this film is sparkles with love. The documentaries on the second disc are superb. The commentary is full of intelligence (!??) and all the goodies you wish the great directors would share on these tracks. Lucas has successfully conscripted a new admirer with this release.

4.8 ½: Criterion Collection
Could this film be any more wonderful? The b&w image is presented beautifully -- not an over-processed one like on the Citizen Kane: Special Edition. A perfect presentation for a perfect piece of movie love. This movie gets No. 4 without me ever having to spin the second disc... disc one is good enough!

5.The Duellists: Collector’s Edition
This is the release I compare all economy-range discs to. You get a terrifically-restored image, two great commentary tracks, an interview and Ridley Scott's first short film -- all on one disc for a great price. It also helps that this film is a modern cinema masterpiece. And the menus are so groovy.

6.Brazil: Criterion Collection
You're ready to vote for this release before you've even opened the box. Three discs? Two cuts of the film? Multiple commentaries? Feature-length documentaries? The Criterion label, assuring that every one of these features is of the highest quality? The release has only one flaw -- price. But for mega-fans, this release is a godsend.

7.Rebecca: Criterion Collection
My favorite Hitchcock film gets the best DVD treatment of them all? The features are exhaustive (literally -- you will be exhausted), the transfer is gorgeous, and the movie itself... Only flaw: it's out of print.

8. Doctor Zhivago: Special Edition
Another underrated film vindicated by it's enduring fanbase and a great DVD package. The features are pretty dry, and the commentary is only interesting in little spurts, but the film is lovingly restored and looking beautiful, with complementing sound and make this a treasured addition to my collection.

9. Lawrence Of Arabia: Limited Edition
My personal favorite film of all time, and this DVD looks and sounds marvelous. Yeah, there are some image flaws, and the SuperBit is superior, but the SuperBit doesn't have any features and the disc break is in a horrible position. And this one has such a groovy package! One of my most prized (and most-spun) DVDs.

10.Donnie Darko (theatrical edition)
Like The Duellists, it's a movie that didn't even make back it's miniscule budget in theater but received a spectacular treatment on DVD, anyway -- and in Donnie Darko's case, went on to become an underground classic -- and then a modern masterpiece. Thank you, DVD! This release may not look as great as some others, but the sound is great and the features are unbeatable. And the price... baby, there's no excuse for not owning this disc.

TV
1.Freaks & Geeks: The Complete Series
2.The Beatles Anthology
3.Monty Python’s Flying Circus: Complete Series
4.A Personal Journey With Martin Scorsese Through American Movies
5.Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Volume One

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
Films:

1) John Cassavetes - Five Films (Criterion)

2) The Chaplin Collection (R2, mk2/Warner)

3) The Art of Buster Keaton boxset (Kino)

4) Stanley Kubrick Collection - Remastered (Warner)

5) Carl Theodor Dreyer boxset (Criterion)

6) Citizen Kane SE (Warner)

7) Griffith Masterworks (Kino)

8) Tokyo Story (Criterion)

9) Children of Paradise (Criterion)

10) Casablanca SE (Warner)

TV:

1) Seinfeld: Volumes 1-3 Giftset

2) The Singing Detective ('86) R2

3) The Office Collection

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
1) Stanley Kubrick Collection - Digitally Restored and Remastered boxed set
2) The Lord of the Rings - Extended Editions boxed set
3) Three Colors - The Exclusive Collection
4) The Decalogue - Complete Collection
5) The Herzog/Kinski Collection
6) Alien Quadrilogy
7) Brazil - The Criterion Collection
8) In the Mood for Love - The Criterion Collection
9) The Last Temptation of Christ - The Criterion Collection
10) Blue Velvet - Special Edition

TV on DVD
(I’m not big on TV in general, but these are the only sets worth owning for me):
1) Twin Peaks - The 1st Season - Special Edition
2) Twin Peaks - Pilot Episode
3) The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (a guilty pleasure that always seems to crack me up)

Xander

Auditioning
Movies:

1. Alien Quadrilogy - Simply perfection (Alien 3: Special Edition is the best special cut of a film ever, IMHO)
2. Jackie Brown - Underrated film that's pure Tarantino
3. Star Trek: Generations: SE - The best trek film gets the five star treatment
4. Amelie: SE - Amazing film from one of the most visually stunning director's in recent years
5. Panic Room: SE - Good film but fantastic extras
6. Fight Club: SE - Another great Fincher flick
7. Monty Python at the Movies Boxset - British comedy at it's finest with some of the most hilarious and original extras ever to grace the DVD format.
8. Ultimate Matrix Collection - Only liked the first film, but deserves a place solely based on the 10 discs of material
9. Delicatessen - See number 4
10. Dawn of the Dead: UE - Fantastic film and package.

TV:

1. Star Trek: The Original Series - First and last word in science fiction
2. Frasier - Utterly brilliant comedy
3. Little Britain - Classic
4. Futurama - Way better than the simpsons. A shame it was cancelled
5. Star Trek: The Next Generation - Not as good as TOS, but extremely entertaining nonetheless.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Films
1. The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy Box Set
2. The Alien Quadrilogy
3. The Star Wars Trilogy
4. The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones
5. The Godfather Trilogy
6. Citizen Kane
7. Casablanca
8. Gone With the Wind
9. Toy Story & Toy Story 2: The Ultimate Toybox
10. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

TV
1. SCTV Network 90
2. Star Trek TOS
3. Star Trek DS9
4. The Simpsons
5. Spider-Man: The '67 Collection

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Movies:
1- Star Wars Trilogy
2- Indiana Jones Trilogy
3- Fight Club SE
4- Back to the Future Trilogy
5- Saving Private Ryan
6- Lawrence of Arabia (SE version)
7- Godfather Trilogy
8- Pulp Fiction Collector's Edition
9- Black Hawk Down 3-Disc Deluxe Edition
10-Close Encounters of the Third Kind The Collector's Edition

TV:
1- Band of Brothers
2- World at War
3- Seinfeld 1-3
4- Sopranos (1-4)
5- From the Earth to the Moon

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
MOVIES:

The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Box Set

Seven: Platinum Series (2 Disc)

Do the Right Thing: Criterion Collection

Boogie Nights: Platinum Series (2 Disc)

Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (40th Anniversary Edition)

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Special Editon (2 Disc)

The Godfather Collection

Brazil: Criterion Collection

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Criterion Collection

Short Cuts: Criterion Collection

TV:

24 Season 1

Batman the Animated Series volume 1

Clerks the Animated Series

Simpsons season 5

Ren and Stimpy Uncut seasons 1 & 2

Real Name
Anthony
MOVIES

1.ALIEN QUADRILOGY (R1)
The kind of DVD that dreams are made of. The only caveat is that the isolated Goldsmith score from the first release isn’t included. The R2 only has commentaries on the theatrical cuts.
2.THE GODFATHER TRILOGY
With films as deservedly well-loved as these, anything short of Quadrilogy-style treatment is bound to be a bit disappointing, but this is quality stuff ; an excellent doc, loads of deleted scenes and three heartfelt commentaries by Coppola.And the transfers look pretty good to me.
3.THE SHINING (R1- REMASTERED)
Tempted to put the whole Kubrick collection here but I’m still hopeful that Warners will do special editions. Until then, this is as good as it gets ; the documentary affords us our only decent look at Kubrick on set and has a commentary by his daughter. Also, for those of us in the UK, the extra 30 minutes makes this seem like a Director’s Cut.
4.CITIZEN KANE (R1)
A timeless classic, in a good print, with a brilliant documentary and two illuminating commentaries. What more could you ask for ?
5.THE EXORCIST (R1)
Ditto the above and add all the voice tests. One of the first DVDs I bought and still one of the best. The R2 documentary is abridged. What a contrast to THE VERSION YOU NEVER SAW, which pretty much encapsulates all the dangers of DVD – worthless tinkering and obvious commentary.
6.DAWN OF THE DEAD (ULTIMATE EDITION)
The Holy Grail for all slow-moving zombie fans. It’s great knowing I’ll never have to buy this again – well, at least until HD-DVD.
7.THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (R1)
I could’ve made a whole list out of the recent WB releases. This is my favourite so far ( although the R2 drops most of the extras). All these two-disc classics, from the packaging to the “Night at the Movies” format to the prints themselves just reek of respect for both the films and the fans. Special mentions also to THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, CASABLANCA and GONE WITH THE WIND, all of which are stellar.
8.PLANET OF THE APES ( ORIGINAL)
A bit of a damp squib for me because I already owned the brilliant documentary BEHIND THE PLANET OF THE APES but anyone coming to this clean should be delighted. That said, the addition of the commentaries and the DTS soundtrack made it an easy double-dip.
9.SALVADOR
All this behind-the-scenes material isn’t worth a damn if the shoot wasn’t interesting ; and Oliver Stone’s shoots are ALWAYS interesting. So the documentary on this disc is almost as hilarious and harrowing as the film itself, his best outside JFK. Stone is about the best commentator out there – an interesting man.
10.ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
Number 10 could have been so many DVDs – the THREE COLOURS trilogy, THE WIZARD OF OZ, GOLDFINGER, UNFORGIVEN to name but a few – but MGM are doing Leone’s films proud right now. This was a revelation to me on DVD ; a beautiful print, some good docs, a very informative commentary, all very nicely packaged.I just hope the upcoming FISTFUL movies are as good.

TV

1.SEINFELD VOLS. 1-3
Pretty much perfect, and great that they released 3 seasons at once. SEINFELD gets a lot better in the seasons that followed, and I hope they take as much care with those sets as they did with these.
2.BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 5
Not just the best Buffy season, imo, but one of the best seasons of television ever. A brilliant conceit – the unexplained appearance of a sister – kicks off an epic saga that sustains brilliantly over 22 episodes to its tragic climax. The series should’ve ended here.
3.FAWLTY TOWERS COMPLETE SERIES
The greatest British sitcom ever. The DVDs could be better – the commentaries are dire and there’s no input from Connie Booth – but I wouldn’t like to live without them.
4.THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW SEASON 1
There are some shows that are so good that they transcend crappy packaging, a high price tag and minimal extras. This is one. And I want MORE !!
5.THE SWEENEY SERIES 1
This won’t get many votes, if any. But I can’t describe how grateful I am to UK company NETWORK for releasing this innovative 70s cop show , beautifully remastered with audio-only tracks and lots of interviews. All four series are good but I’ve chosen Series 1 as it’s the only set that has commentaries.

Right, that's me. Sorry for waffling. Got carried away.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks