What's new

Are there any 37" 16:9 CRT direct view sets? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I just looked at the Sony, Panasonic, and Toshiba web sites, and they all have 34" but not 37".

Any one know?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
At this writing in January, 2005, there are 34-inch, 16:9 CRT-based direct-view sets and a single 38-inch, 16:9 CRT-based direct-view set (from Loewe, the Aconda). However, the 40-inch Sony, which is 4:3 native, reduces to a 37-inch window in its 16:9 mode, and so there you go.

If, however, you are interested in LCD-based sets, you have quite a few more size options.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I know there are quite a few LCDs, and even at least 1 37" plasma. (I just really liked the 480p "squeeze" mode on my 32" CRT Toshiba.)

A friend has the 40" Sony, and it's just too big (and heavy!) for what I want. I will have to check out that Loewe... Thanks. :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I did check out the Loewe: no HDMI or DVI inputs. And, it is also a comparatively big set: 220 lbs.

My unfortunate impression is that manufacturers would rather sell flat panels of that size due to their profit margins, *and* that U.S. consumers have successfully been sold on the idea that since plasma and LCD are *newer*, that they *must* be better, which they aren't.

Andre D

Stunt Coordinator
I am having the same problem. I may just end up getting the Sony 34xbr960. What do you have in mind at this point, Kevin?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Andre- Hee, hee. I just did a spreadsheet that calculates all the dimensions for 4:3 27", 32", and 36" sets, and 16:9 30", 34", 37", and 42" sets.

I am *trying* to convince myself that a 34" 16:9 is big enough. (I sit about 8 ft from the display.) The 4:3 area within that set is 27.8" diagonal, and I did live with a 27" 4:3 set for years.

I don't know. I came across an ad this weekend for a Sony 34" 16:9 CRT. Don't know what model (34 something 510 maybe.) Original list was $2k, price was $1k. If I come across a deal like that again, I might not be able to resist.

I have a 32" 4:3 CRT HDTV Toshiba now. I've had it for 18 months, and I just started using the feature where it squeezes the 480p lines down to the aspect ratio of the DVD. (In other words, no lines are lost to the black bars on top or below.) I just freaking love the picture. That's what got me started looking at CRT direct view sets again...

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

Is 34" from 8 feet big enough?

Hhhmmm, I just replaced a 56" widescreen Toshiba HDTV (sitting 9 feet away) with an Epson Cinema 500 LCD projector shining on a 96" Carada 16:9 screen (sitting 11 feet away).....the four NFL playoff games this past weekend were a joy to watch in 720p :)

And my 2 channel soundstage has never been better!

Andre D

Stunt Coordinator

Wow, same here! Mine is a Sony 36xbr250 that also does the anomorphic squeeze. I recently saw someone selling a 40xbr800 and matching stand locally for $1300 on ebay (buy it now price). By the time I got home and convinced myself to buy it, someone beat me to the punch. I wanted to kick myself. So far I have seen nothing but rave reviews on the 34xbr960, so I may just end up with that. Yeah, I agree that CRT's still rule.

Andre D

Stunt Coordinator

56" sitting 9 feet away? How is the picture sitting that close. I actually thought about this, but didn't want to be so close that I couldn't appreciate the picture.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually thinking about a 36" 4:3 as a short term solution, until flat panel blacks and contrast get better.

Too much time on my hands... ;)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Andre,

With the older 480i max analog RPTV's, you might see lines at 9' for a 56" set. However, when you're sending dvd/directv/cable signals that are 720p/1080i/480p, 9' is just about right.

And at 11' & a 720p projector, some would say that a 96" screen is too small!

There are certainly some smoking under $2k deals right now for 47-57" CRT RPTV that are "slim-looking".

Kevin,

32" 4:3 to 36" 4:3 IMO is not worth the trouble.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

32" 4:3 to 36" 16:9? A TV doesn't hold value like used amps :) I would save your money until the larger sets work out for you.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
yep, you won't find a tube tv lightweight at that size,simply because of the thick glass of the tube.

Andre D

Stunt Coordinator
Ricky, you have to admit, CRT's deliver excellent pictures. Give me a tube over a plasma anytime. I must admit, however that projection tv's give more of that 'theater' presence.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, CRTs still rule. Though DLP and LCoS (and its variants) are catching up, CRTs still are the state of the art.

Andre D

Stunt Coordinator

Jack, what would you recommend between a projection (including size) and a CRT for someone who has an 8 foot viewing distance? Like I said, I'm leaning more towards the CRT because of the awesome picture quality. However, I also love projections just because of the screen size, but I don't want to sit too close to the point where it will affect my viewing.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Not if it's rear projection, I've yet to see an RP CRT that had uniform light output or matches the picture detail of DLPs,however the blackest blacks are still better on CRT RP tvs but not for long.And then there is bulk...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks