What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1/18/05 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

–Halle Berry as Catwoman (Catwoman – 2004)

This report was brought to you by sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.
–Robin Williams as Genie (Aladdin & the King of Thieves – 1996)

The Weekly RoundUp

TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoAladdin II & III Collection$30.44$24.99$19.99-$22.99Angel of Death$23.38$19.99$19.99--Carrie (1952)$13.49$9.99$12.99--Casque D’or (CC)$27.96$34.99$34.99--**Catwoman$19.57$17.99$14.99$15.99-Cellular$19.49$17.99$17.99-$18.29**The Cookout$24.28$15.99$17.99--Curb Your Enthusiasm: S3$27.99$29.99$27.99--Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars$17.98$14.99$17.99--Farscape: Starburst Ed S1 Coll2$18.73$15.99$17.99--The Forgotten$20.26$17.99$14.99$15.99-Freeze Frame UE$22.48$19.99$19.99--**Friday Night Lights$20.99$15.99$14.99$15.99$18.99Goldfish Memory$26.95$24.99---Gracie’s Choice$17.38$14.99$15.99--House of Cards$13.48$12.99$12.99--Iron and Silk$10.49$12.99$12.99--Kung Fu: Season 2$27.99$29.99$27.99--Matchmaker (1958)$13.49$9.99$12.99--Never Get Outta the Boat$22.46$22.99$24.97--New Kind of Love$13.49$9.99$12.99--Rosenstrasse (1950)$26.95$26.99$24.99--Sex and the Single Mom$17.38$14.99$15.99--Stella Street$22.46$21.99$24.97--Tom and Jerry: Blastoff to Mars$17.98$15.99$12.99--**Who’s Your Daddy?$20.98$20.99$22.99--

(CC) listed after a title in the above grid = new Criterion Collection release.

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including (or the ones Dave tells me he's looking for ;o)). In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. So, please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like Dave & I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the standard Roundup: they set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. When it comes to Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Mileage May Vary".

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! Catwoman AND The Cookout AND Friday Night Lights are all available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one. Also, Who’s Your Daddy is available in two differently-rated versions R and NR…get the one that’s right for you.

--Amazon is still featuring free shipping on orders over $25. Restrictions apply.

--Best Buy is offering deals on Curb Your Enthusiasm season sets. Save $10 when you buy two. Save $25 when you buy three. Season 1 = $33.99. Seasons 2 & 3 =$29.99 each.

--Best Buy has also put Catwoman ($17.99) in with a group of films and has listed them all as 2/$25. They are: Catwoman, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin. The Batman movies are all priced at $14.99.

--Best Buy is advertising a bonus disc with The Cookout. Get your grill on! Exclusive bonus disc includes 20 hilarious minutes of deleted scenes and more. Minimum 15 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy is also advertising a FREE bonus book on-pack with its copies of Friday Night Lights. The book is a copy of Friday Night Lights. Minimum 17 per store. No rainchecks.

--At Circuit City, an excellent deal if you waited to purchase your copy of Disney’s Aladdin! Buy the two-pack of Aladdin II & III (19.99) and get the original film for just $9.99! All three films for $30! Can’t beat it. :emoji_thumbsup:

--Plus, Circuit City is offering up a FREE Genie plush toy ($4.99)with the purchase of Aladdin II & III! In-store only. While supplies last. Minimum 16 per store.

--Circuit City is advertising a FREE DVD of The Wash (2001) with their copies of The Cookout.

-------------------------

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: January 18, 2004 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report this week.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Love the new layout Mike! Very easy to read. Much appreciate the time you take each week :emoji_thumbsup: Even when I don't buy anything, I check this thread for the deals.

Thank you for doing this. :)

BTW, the pic of Catwoman is better than the film.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I like the new grid look Mike. It makes Dave jenous with hulk green or something. :D Anyway, just Aladdin 2 and 3. Yes, it direct to sequel, but I rather like the Aladdin series on the whole. I only seen Return of Jafar before, as I didn't catch King of Thieves. Just seeing this two pack makes me wish that the studios would release the Aladdin animated series, ala Gargoyles.

Dillon*G

Second Unit
A light week for me:
-Aladdin 2&3
-Cellular
-Friday Night Lights

I really want the book that comes with Friday Night Lights.I hope I can snag one.Also, i'm almost positive Friday Night Lights isn't Criterion.

Thanks a lot,Mike.Always good work.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
More kudos for the new layout Mike!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Tuesday is my birthday, but I don't think I'll be getting any new releases. Maybe the Aladdin 2-pack.

Thanks for the hard work,

Joe

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I'd give the new grid layout :star: :star: :star: :star: (out of :star: :star: :star: :star: ). Way cool - I just highlighted, copied, and pasted the grid to Excel. Time to export to my PDA so I won't end up forgetting to take the hard copy print-out with me shopping on Tuesday. :)

Thanks as always for all of your efforts. For me this week:
Aladdin II & III Collection
Cellular
Friday Night Lights

P.S. Criterion's web-site doesn't mention any Friday Night Lights release. I believe that it's Universal's release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that's my understanding. I haven't seen the film, but I guess even Halle in black leather cannot overcome a bad plot. I'll probably pass on this title...although it might in the "previously viewed" bins real soon! :D

P.S. BTW, Patrick...congrats on another Falcon win! Party on!

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't sure about Friday Night Lights, since I didn't get to see it, but the BB deal with the book is too good to pass up!

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Like the new look of this thread. I check it every week and decide what to buy and where to buy from there.
Thanks for all the hard work, much appreciated.:emoji_thumbsup:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Mike, :emoji_thumbsup: on the new table from me as well!!!

For those who haven't read the book and are leaning towards Friday Night Lights, that BB deal is a good one. The book is excellent. Me, I read it several years ago (being a good Texan), and while I liked the film a lot, I think I'll wait for the inevitable price reduction 6-12 months for now - something I find myself doing a lot these days, especially with films I saw theatrically.

Farscape fans, Deep Discount DVD has the Starburst 2 set at $14.99 and "The Peacekeeper Wars" at only $10.63.

Other than than, just CYE S3 (coming from Amazon). No trip to the B&Ms for me this week!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$17.99 each:
I, Robot
Collateral

2 for $15:
School of Rock
Italian Job
Twisted
Forrest Gump
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Against the Ropes
The Prince and Me
Timeline
Fighting Temptations
Tomb Raider 2
Paycheck
Perfect Score
Jackass the Movie
Untouchables

---------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$14.99 Double Packs:
Great Outdoors/Uncle Buck
How High/Undercover Brother
Almost Famous/American Beauty
8 Mile/Judgement Night

2 for $15 (there are over 75 titles, only 30 shown in ad):
Lucas
Any Given Sunday
North Dallas 40
Necessary Roughness
Varsity Blues
The Replacements
Brian's Song
Rudy
Days of Thunder
Jerry Maguire
All the Right Moves
Semi-Tough
The Longest Yard
Everybody's All American
Hoosiers
He Got Game
The Bone Collector
Boomerang
Cool Runnings
Ali
Brown Sugar
Far from Heaven
Monster's Ball
Die Another Day
The Thomas Crown Affair
Basic
The Devil's Own
Cool World
The Animal

Here's the rest of the 2-for-$15 list off bestbuy.com (81 total):

A Knight's Tale
Alexander the Great
American Me
American Pie 2
Amistad
Big
Cocoon
Footloose
Four Rooms
Good Morning, Vietnam
Grosse Point Blank
Harlem Nights
High Crimes
Higher Learning
High Plains Drifter
Jaws
Jeff Foxworthy: You might be a Redneck.../Check you neck
Meet Joe Black
Misery
Mission Impossible II
Meaning of Life
Mr. Mom
Multiplicity
Mystery, Alaska
Once Upon a Time in the West
Pet Sematary
Rocky III
Scream
Showgirls
Signs
Sleeping with the Enemy
Sleepy Hollow
Spaceballs
Stand by Me
Stargate
Summer of Sam
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
The Cable Guy
The Day After
The Enemy Below
The Full Monty
The Kings of Comedy
The Silence of the Lambs (MGM)
The Three Musketeers
The Warriors
Tommy Boy
Vanishing Point
Waterworld
While You Were Sleeping
Young Guns

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I started to go down that road near the beginning of the whole thing, but Packy and Ron were nervous about using html tables because they could potentially be closed wrong and mess up the look of the forum. Since I was on nervous ground at the time with the HTF owners, I just kept it text-only. Which I liked later on, because I could just throw it in notepad, edit it down to the releases I want for myself, print it, and take it with me to the store.

But yeah, I'm jealous because it looks so friggin' awesome this way. Great job, Mike!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The only suggestion I'd make is to make the lowest price for a title a different color, like red, and then it'd be easy to see which store is really wanting your DVD dollars on release week. Nice job, Mike!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mike.

The only thing I'm even remotely tempted to buy this week is Kung Fu, which I believe will be in it's 1.33 OAR, after the crop&dropped fake widescreen for season 1. But I have no intention of watching season 2 without season 1, and while I've bought some things in the past to send a message, it never seems to work. So I'm leaning heavily towards just resting my wallet completely this week.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Fry's Ad:

The Forgotten - LOW PRICE GUARANTEE

Friday Night Lights - $14.99
ONE DAY ONLY (01/18/05)

LIMIT 1 PER TITLE PER CUSTOMER

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
:emoji_thumbsup:
My sentiments exactly. Really like the new look, but my first thought was that it would be even better if you use BOLD or a bolded COLOR or maybe even shade the cell background of the lowest price for each item. That would give a nice "at-a-glance" view of the best deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks