Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hk Avr 330/430

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   John*SS

John*SS

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 14 2005 - 05:45 AM

I am looking into replacing an existing HK AVR500 with a newer reciever to enter the 7:1 world. I have been very happy with the performance of my current reciever so I will probably contniue with an Harman Kardon. I have looked at a couple of units 330/430. Can someone share an opinion on either of the two new units. I am also curious about speakers. I would like a sound that is more clear with low distortion as opposed to blowing me out of the room. The room is 16 x 20 with very high ceilings. I wold like to spend no more than about $1600. Any input would be most appreciated.

I forgot some important details. The Klipsch speakers were F-3's and the Sapphire were towers also. I think they were called ST3's.

Thanks
John S.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   MikeWestdal

MikeWestdal

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 04:23 AM

I own the HK AVR 330, and use it w/ Polk LSi9's (front), Polk RTi4's (rear) and Polk CSi3 (center) and Klipsch RW-8 sub. I find the AVR 330 to be a warm sounding amp yet clear. The amp seems to have power to drive my speakers. The tuner section works well to. I highly recommend HK.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 07:58 AM

The 430 adds some features over the 330 including assignable component inputs, input labeling, and most importantly the ability to upgrade the firmware. There is a firmware release on the 430 which upgrades it to Dolby PLIIx and also eliminates/reduces the lag time when locking on a digital signal.

Is your $1600 US dollars?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   meeks

meeks

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 02:53 PM

Compusa had the 430 selling for $440 or so here in orlando.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   John*SS

John*SS

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I am considering going a little over $1600 US now that I have been looking around. (Maybe $2000) I also live in Orlando and I have made quick stops at Best Buy and Sound Advice. I am unaware of any Compusa in the area. Where is it?

I liked the Sapphire's (Sound Advice) & Klipsch's (Best Buy)I heard but they were both driven by Yamaha Receivers (RXV550 & HTR-5760). I have been reading some threads about Swan's and Ascend's and they sound like they are very natural sounding, which is what I always liked about my HK receiver. Anybody ever tested any of the above speakers with an HK receiver?

thanks in advance

John S.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   meeks

meeks

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 04:29 PM

I just got the 2.1 & c3 swans 2 days ago & am running them off a hk330. So far I am very pleased with it & am sure I will be even more so when they break in. I had Polk RTI line before and I have to tell you that the pictures do not do swans justice. I cant believe I got that well designed/built speaker for only $299.