What's new

Bob Newhart Season 1 in April (1 Viewer)

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Literally just announced a couple minutes ago (I was on the Fox site as they were adding the specs)...

Bob Newhart - Season 1
Street Date: 04/12/2005
US SRP: $39.98
CAN SRP: $54.98
Running Time: 657
AUDIO: English, Spanish : Mono

It’s time again to say “Hi, Bob!” when The Bob Newhart Show Season 1 hits DVD on April 12, 2005! Relive the memories of this true comedy classic -- a “must have” for TV comedy fans!

Disc 1 side 1: Fly the Unfriendly Skies / Tracy Grammar School, I'll Lick You Yet / Tennis, Emily? / Mom, I L-L-Love You.
Disc 1 side 2: Goodnight Nancy / Come Live with Me / Father Knows Worst / Don't Go to Bed Mad.
Disc 2 side 1: P-I-L-O-T / Anything Happen While I Was Gone? / I Want to Be Alone / Bob and Emily and Howard and Carol and Jerry.
Disc 2 side 2: I Owe It All to You… But Not That Much / His Busiest Season / Let's Get Away From It Almost / The Crash of 29 Years Old.
Disc 3 side 1: The Man with the Golden Wrist / The Two Loves of Dr. Hartley / Not With My Sister You Don't / A Home is Not Necessarily a House.
Disc 3 side 2: Emily, I'm Home… Emily? / You Can Win 'Em All / Bum Voyage / Who's Been Sleeping on My Couch? / Unaired Pilot.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Also, they added Dynasty Season 1 for April 19 and That '70s Show Season 2 for April 26! Excellent news for us Dynasty fans!

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Great. I loved it when those funny guys Darrell and Darrell would come over and visit.

Want to collect the Newhart seasons.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
What is the link for the upcoming shows past February? I can't find anything listed past February on the Fox TV DVD site.

Paul

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, Larry and Darrell and his other brother Darrell were on Newhart. This is for the first show, Bob Newhart.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Oh okay, I thought I was missing something.

This is great news. I've been waiting for the Bob Newhart Show for awhile now.

Paul

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
Finally "Bob Newhart show" season 1 is released on DVD. I like this show better than "Newhart."

I wonder if and when they plan on releasing "Newhart" season 1 on DVD. (I like the first two seasons, or the Kirk Devane era better than the later seasons. Though Kirk was a funny character, mainly because the later season episodes don't focus enough on Bob's character) I would probably buy the first two seasons, and wait for season eight which has the classic final episode.

I would release both shows on DVD on the same day.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
This is great news beacuse it means that Fox hasn't totally given up on the MTM catalog after all (but why couldn't they at least give us Season 2 of Mary first??).

Speaking of the last episode of "Newhart", with it's classic twist ending, if that ever makes it to DVD, that is an episode that has a potential music clearance problem because as it originally aired, the old "Bob Newhart Show" theme music played as a stinger into the final credits. In all syndicated repeats this has been replaced by the "Newhart" theme music.

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
"The Bob Newhart show" and "Newhart" are owned by the same company. So they should not be music clearance problems.

I don't think they changed the music in syndication for legal reasons. I think they changed it for an audience that might not be familar with "The Bob Newhart show."

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I think it was changed for legal reasons though, because no screen credit was given to the composers of the original show theme, and that's a matter that can also intrude even when the production company is the same.

John McM

Second Unit
Dynasty?!!?! yes!!! even tho it'd be sweet to release season 1 and 2 together... because the show hadn't found it's footing for sure until Joan Collins came in

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I'm wondering since that list shows only 4 episodes on each side of the discs, are these discs going to be mastered on double-sided DVD 5 instead of the higher quality DVD 9s? Anyone know?

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
A great, G-rated adult comedy. Hopefully if this works out then Newhart will also be released.

Speaking of music rights issues, doesn't the cast sing "Oklahoma" in the series finale?

Scott Moyer

Auditioning
I'm just glad that the series is becoming available.Cheaper double sided recordings and less fluff may be Fox's way of keeping costs down in order to release the series at a more reasonable price point than MTM. If that's what it takes-so be it-I'm definitely buying.This series could have stalled out for many more years without a more flexible marketing approach.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would like to see "BOB".

i thought that show was good too.
it didint get a good time slot.
i think it was moved aound a few times and it had a make-over that wasnt very good from him producing his own comic book to becoming a writer for greating card company.

early 90's.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Darn good question Carlos. I don't mean to sound negative about this good release, but this does seem odd considering that 6 or 7 half hours can comfortably fit on a single side of a DVD and still have very good quality.

Aside from that, I would like to thank Fox for putting this out. This was a very funny show with a great ensemble cast.

I have a gut feeling that a MTM Season 2 annoucement is just around the proverbial corner....

Steve

Rob Keil

Agent
Finally... my favorite show of all time on DVD.

I don't care how many discs it's on or whether they are 2 sided or not. They will look far better than the VHS tapes and my own homemade DVD's I've been watching for years.

I'm really looking forward to the UNAIRED PILOT that's on the last disc. This will be a real treat, and makes the set not just a "bare bones" release.

Maybe if we all buy this one we'll not only get more seasons of "The Bob Newhart Show" but "Newhart" and "Mary Tyler Moore". These are some of the greatest sitcoms of all time that all deserve to be released on DVD in their entirety.

Thanks, Fox!

Joe Isham

Stunt Coordinator
Back in the day, when TBNS was in syndication, my local station aired the unaired pilot once.

Looking at the differences was interesting. Jerry was a swinging psychologist, and the plot focused more on Bob's role as president of the condo association.

The pilot episode was reworked into episode 9, "P-I-L-O-T".

Day and date on this one, baybee!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks