Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Resident Evil 4-Gamecube

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,054 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 10 2005 - 01:20 PM

Who else is picking up this game? The review at Gamespot (9.6) has me really psyched.

25 hours of gameplay?? I'm ready!

I'll post some impressions later.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#2 of 48 Josh Mc

Josh Mc

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 04:49 PM

Picking mine up as soon as it hits Best Buy this week.

#3 of 48 Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 05:35 PM

I have a Best Buy gift card saved for this. I almost bought the strategy guide at Wal-Mart tonight.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#4 of 48 DeanC

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 07:59 PM

Awesome. Not only did I get the game, they packaged the first Resident Evil game with it and Strategy Guide.

What a deal.

Also bought the NEW Zelda GB game

#5 of 48 Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted January 11 2005 - 01:47 AM

where did you get yours Dean?

#6 of 48 Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted January 11 2005 - 03:09 AM

I'm picking it up as well. Universally outstanding reviews are good enough for me.

#7 of 48 Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted January 11 2005 - 03:30 AM

Picked up the Collector's Tin this morning at Gamestop; depending on my schedule this evening, I'm hoping to squeeze in some playing time (between a viewing of "The Village" and a "Gilmore Girls" rerun)

#8 of 48 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,054 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 11 2005 - 06:00 AM

This is one awesome game! I love the new control scheme. It works perfectly. Took me all of 5 minutes to get used to.

The graphics are amzing. Better than I was expecting.

I played for almost 2 and a half hours and completed two sub chapters (1-1, 1-2), there are 18 sub chapters in all.

QUESTION: Can someone check to see if the stereo is reversed on this game? I think it is since I checked all my cables and everything seems right.

#9 of 48 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted January 11 2005 - 11:43 PM

Pretty awesome game. The gameplay and controls are much better than the previous RE games. The game is letterboxed, but not anamorphic widescreen, but still looks great zoomed on my widescreen TV.

#10 of 48 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,241 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 01:46 AM

Yes the perspective shift eliminates most of the control issues I and many others complained about in the other games.

I cannot get over the graphics - from character animations to the surrounding environment. Amazing!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#11 of 48 Chris Dias

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted January 12 2005 - 01:53 AM

I picked this up yesterday from Best Buy and they were also giving away Resident Evil with it. The website said they would give it away "while supplies last" but to my surprise, when I got there and there were none left, they gave me a raincheck for it.

As for 4, I only played it for about 45 minutes last night but I was really impressed. I've never really played any of the other ones very much (I played 2 for a few hours), but the control here is a lot better than that. However one thing I would have really liked is strafing. Especially in a game like this where you are afraid of what might be around the corner, it would be nice to be able to strafe over a bit to peek. Of course, I haven't read the instructions yet, so maybe I am missing something, but it doesn't seem to be there.

That would be my only complaint so far, but other than that, it is top notch.

Chris

#12 of 48 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,241 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 05:23 AM

There is no strafing option available - it was a conscious design issue.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#13 of 48 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 08:40 AM

Wait until after the first boss battle people. When you get to the part with the thunderstorm, some of hte most amazing graphics I have seen in that part. The special effects of it all.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#14 of 48 Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 10:53 AM

I just got done with MGS3 and am starting on this now. It looks really good, but I do wish it were anamorphic.

#15 of 48 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 01:04 PM

I wish it was anamorphic as well, but there is no use crying over spilt milk. What they have given us is still damn beautiful.

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#16 of 48 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,054 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 12 2005 - 02:50 PM

So, has anyone checked to see if the stereo is reversed??

This game keeps getting better and better.Posted Image

#17 of 48 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 11:50 PM

I cant tell if stereo is reversed, but the sound design on this game is just amazing.
The part where you enter the church during the storm especially. Impossible to describe, but the sound of the thunder outside is as realistic as I have heard in a game. Just sounds like you are in a building with a storm on the horizon.
And in the town at night, how you can only really see around you until the lightning flashes and for the briefest of moments you can see the whole place, and pray you see some camping bastards at that moment.

Another neat little graphics thing that only comes during the night parts, the villagers eyes glow red in the darkness. But very very faintly. Just enough to be scary.

And has anyone else tried
shooting the merchant
I am afraid to keep going after that. I will do it and then reload my game, just in case that gets rid of him for good.

#18 of 48 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 04:47 AM

Quote:
And has anyone else tried
shooting the merchant
I am afraid to keep going after that. I will do it and then reload my game, just in case that gets rid of him for good.

I did. I've also saved since then. I'll let you know if he shows up again later in the game. Posted Image

#19 of 48 Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 07:44 AM

I got this game today.

A little background on me. I HATE the Resident Evil games. I felt the controls were all that was wrong with 3-d gaming and hated the fact that our heroes controlled like tanks. Resident Evil and Tomb Raider repsented everything that was bad in gamining.

Not anymore.

Resident Evil 4 is a beatiful game, easy to control and easy to learn and tons of fun. The controls are like second nature and the challenge is there but it's never you fighting with the controls that gets you killed. It's you being stupid that gets you killed. Plus the fact that your not fighting zombies rules. There's a real rush fighting crazed villagers who react realisticly to your attacks. Just a great game and it's gonna be very hard for anything in 2005 to even come close to this game. even if you hated the other games, get this one. This is the real deal kids.

#20 of 48 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 10:01 AM

My only complaint about the controls is that you can't switch weapons on the fly. I hate having to go the the menu screen to do that, it's too cumbersome. Other than that, it's all good.