Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The horror! Alone in the dark. a film by Uwe Boll

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 04:25 AM

Recently I find the trailer to the new video-game inspired action/horror film Alone in the Dark. And its directed by Uwe Boll! The director who's previous movie House of the Dead should have nominated him for a lifetime judicial order barring him from coming withing 500 yards of a camera.

Now I know that I should be more reasonable and give the guy a second chance, and maybe this film will be of acceptible quality. But then I think back to the horrors of HOTD (The WORST film ever given a theatrical release IMHO), and simply cannot believe this movie is even going to be watchable.

WHY DID I MAKE THIS THREAD?

First, I wanted to be the first in line to warn you all "This is made by the maker of the worst film ever" and that you shouldn't waste your money on a ticket. But Also I wanted to bring you my idea for : Alone in the Dark, The drinking game!

*Camera closeup on actor so tight his/her breathing fogs-up the lens: Take a drink.

*Character in movie "disappears" from scene : take two drinks.

*Film getting intercut with relevant videogame footage: Take drink/per shot

*Film getting intercut with irrelevant videogame footage: Take 2 drinks/per shot

*Visible wires or springboard: Drink

*Characters suddenly walk through walls, suffers from "polygon breakup", or camera films something away from the action to better re-create the feel of the videogame Posted Imagerink till theres only one left standing!

BONUS DVD Drinking Game!

*Enable the directors commentary and drink for every occassion he says "That was good" despite the reality of the situation.

*Punch person next to you (on the arm), everytime director says "Um...Yeah" because even he can't explain what just happened.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 07:53 AM

One might argue that Uwe Boll and Paul WS Anderson are unfairly bashed on internet forums. However, that same someone would have to be one of the blessed many who hasn't actually sat through one of their cinematic trainwrecks. You can't expect every director to be a Kurosawa or a Kubrick but when people with less cinematic talent than the average person are getting directorial gigs, something is horribly wrong.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 01:30 PM

Speaking from the opinion of someone who sees virtually EVERYthing, I'd tend to agree that Anderson and Boll are among the absolute worst in genre filmmakers.

There are LOTS of inept directors out there, but the horror / action / sci-fi guys are the ones who get the most negative attention.

But personally...I'd rather have a Paul W.S. Anderson Film Festival than one dedicated to Adam Shankman, Tom Shadyac, Brett Ratner, Joel Zwick, Les Mayfield, Steven Brill, Dennis Dugan, Dennie Gordon, Sam Weisman or Raja Gosnell. Posted Image

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 02:03 PM

Quote:
and simply cannot believe this movie is even going to be watchable.

The worst part is the guy is making a Bloodrayne movie as well.Posted Image

http://www.bloodrayne-themovie.com/

He also has FarCry scheduled for 2006. I thank heaven and all of the angels that this man has nothing to do with up and coming Silent Hill movie.(since it seems Mr. Boll has a thing for videogame properties)

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 04:05 PM

What?!?

He was allowed near a camera again? I invoke the Geneva Convention immediately. I want answers!

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 04:18 PM

I like the directing of Paul W.S. Anderson (haven't seen AvP yet), but the work of Uwe Boll based on House of the Dead is downright horrible.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 10 2005 - 07:25 PM

I always thought horror fans were just picking on Boll until I actually saw HOUSE OF THE DEAD. For the life of me I can't understand how that film made it into theaters. I love bad movies but this one here was just too bad.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 11 2005 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
There are LOTS of inept directors out there, but the horror / action / sci-fi guys are the ones who get the most negative attention.

But personally...I'd rather have a Paul W.S. Anderson Film Festival than one dedicated to Adam Shankman, Tom Shadyac, Brett Ratner, Joel Zwick, Les Mayfield, Steven Brill, Dennis Dugan, Dennie Gordon, Sam Weisman or Raja Gosnell.

The directors you mention usually stick to comedies that aren't visually demanding. A genre director needs to have a distinct and memorable style, making Boll and Anderson's ineptitude all the more inexcusable. For example, Brett Ratner made his only good movie ("Red Dragon") by aping Jonathan Demme's success, resting on the great Ted Tally script and cast, and by avoiding the pitfalls Michael Mann made the first time around. Paul WS Anderson had six previous films and a mountain of "expanded universe" material to study when he made "AvP" but we just got a tedious version of the "booby-trapped puzzle maze" cliche with Aliens and Predators thrown in. Ratner's shortcuts on "Red Dragon" may not have been artistically admirable, but the final result was a good movie, which is much more than you can say about "AvP".
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted January 11 2005 - 06:56 AM

I am surprised no one has yet mentioned that the game (which I never played) is based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft and more specifically, the Call of Chtulhu (I probably mangled it, don't care Posted Image).

Has JulieK been seen on these shores lately?

--
H

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 11 2005 - 07:31 AM

I liked the original game, and thought it might make for a decent movie. Unfortunately, with a horrible director, that seems highly unlikely.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 03:43 AM

I really liked the game Silent Hill. To my knowledge there has never been a movie, based on a videogame, that has done the videogame justice. Thus I must psychically predict that Silent Hill is probably going to suck (But at least it isn't an Uwe Boll movie), and that makes me a sad panda Posted Image

As for Anderson's abilities: I really liked Event Horizon (Even if it is a remake of Disney's The Black Hole, and Mortal Kombat was alright for a kid-centric action movie. So unlike Boll I can admit that Anderson at least has some degree of competence as a director, even if you won't accept that he has any great talent. I just wish that he'd stop writing his own material, everything after Mortal Kombat has just been, well, very stupid. Posted Image
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 13 2005 - 04:32 AM

Event Horizon had decent shock value, but definitely wasn't what I would call a good movie. It was hellraiser meets The Black Hole (which I loved). Kind of hard to get MK wrong. Any 15yr old who had played the game could have directed that with similar results Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 07:51 AM

Here's my biggest problem with Boll's film version of Alone In The Dark: In the game... wait for it... YOU WERE ALONE! And yet, the first thing we see in the trailer is a team of cops led by Christian Slater. Okay... the original game was set way in the past and Edward Carnaby was a lone inspector checking out the house = SPOOKY PREMISE. Apparently in the new version, there's... uhm... not so much a house... and Edward Carnaby apparently leads a cadre of elite cops or soldiers or some nonsense = ACTION FILM PREMISE.

I don't even need to see the movie to tell you how much it sucks. What's next? The 7th Guest in space?

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted January 13 2005 - 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thus I must psychically predict that Silent Hill is probably going to suck (But at least it isn't an Uwe Boll movie), and that makes me a sad panda

The movie is being written by Roger Avary (Killing Zoe, Pulp Fiction,The Rules of Attraction) and is being directed by Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf). I have hope that the Silent Hill movie will be at the very least serviceable. Though I always thought David Lynch and Silent Hill sounded like a match made in heaven.Posted Image

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 13 2005 - 05:40 PM

I just realized when I caught it on TV today that I saw the trailer for Alone in the Dark a week or so back when I saw the complete POS Darkness. IIRC, I thought the trailer looked like utter crap...

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 14 2005 - 09:26 AM

I saw the trailer for this last night, It looks like a total POS.

I've never played the game, but I was under the impression that it was sort of a suspense, occult horror about exploring a haunted house. This movie looks like a Michael Bay action wet dream, except directed by someone LESS TALENTED THAN MICHAEL BAY!

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 14 2005 - 10:22 AM

But personally...I'd rather have a Paul W.S. Anderson Film Festival than one dedicated to Adam Shankman, Tom Shadyac, Brett Ratner, Joel Zwick, Les Mayfield, Steven Brill, Dennis Dugan, Dennie Gordon, Sam Weisman or Raja Gosnell.

Wow...that is one terrifying list. Posted Image

If I only had to watch "Liar, Liar" and "Pet Detective", I'd sit through a Shadyac "festival". They're better than "Event Horizon" and "Resident Evil".

Note that that list has a LOT of directors who come from a heavy TV background. Not surprising.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted January 14 2005 - 12:34 PM

Posted Image

I'll just put the link to the next strip, due to some language, nothing we haven't heard in a Southpark episode though:

http://www.penny-arc...docs/1-3-05.jpg

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted January 15 2005 - 01:54 AM

Event Horizon (Even if it is a remake of Disney's The Black Hole, and Mortal Kombat)
Quote:
Event Horizon....It was hellraiser meets The Black Hole

Reading these comparisons for Event Horizon surprised me. I guess no one has seen the "bad" movie, Galaxy of Terror which I would make my EH comparison to.
Quote:
As a lone spaceship proceeds on its long voyage across space, the crew are surprised to encounter a strange pyramid form. Surprise turns to horror as one by one, they discover that their darkest nightmares are all starting to become real. The pyramid has to be behind it all somehow, but how can they save themselves from its influence?
Now substitute a spaceship returning from a black hole with a pyramid and what do you have?

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow