-

Photo
- - - - -

Carnivale (Season 2)...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
499 replies to this topic

#481 of 500 OFFLINE   MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 09:57 PM

No

#482 of 500 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 12:27 AM

Quote:
I have never watched Carnivale, but I am curious about it. However, I don't want to watch something that was 'unfinished'. Did the show's producers have a chance to wrap up the series properly?
No. But still, Carnivale was just too good of a show (especially in the 2nd season) to just not watch all together. It's still worth watching at least once, proper ending or not.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#483 of 500 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 05:40 AM

Quote:
Carnivale was just too good of a show (especially in the 2nd season) to just not watch all together. It's still worth watching at least once, proper ending or not.
I agree completely. Though I'm utterly disappointed that the show was cancelled before it's time, I'm happy to have been able to experience it for two compelling seasons.

#484 of 500 OFFLINE   Kelly W

Kelly W

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted February 21 2006 - 01:05 PM

I ran across this the other day and it lifted my spirits. Yes, I know that Daniel Knauf has stated in the past that he would not be involved in such a project, but I'm still crossing my fingers.

-Kelly

http://www.mediavill....jmer-02-09-06/

Quote:
Meanwhile, another seemingly doomed series with a similarly expressive following may in fact be headed back to television. MediaVillage has heard that HBO is seriously considering developing a two hour movie or a four-hour miniseries that would tie up the tantalizing loose ends from the final episode of its supernatural dust-bowl drama Carnivale. (The series ended in an abrupt manner that infuriated its loyal viewers, leaving them to wonder if Ben the healer could survive his violent confrontation with the evil Brother Justin, and if the newly possessed Sofie would succeed in bringing Justin back to life.) The new production would be telecast sometime in 2007. Further, if that movie or mini does well, MediaVillage has been told the pay cable giant might even consider resurrecting the franchise as an ongoing series in 2008.

#485 of 500 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted February 21 2006 - 01:42 PM

It's hard to not get my hopes up Posted Image
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#486 of 500 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted February 21 2006 - 04:46 PM

Fingers crossed this pans out. Posted Image

#487 of 500 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,880 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 12:21 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about this. While it would be great to see them wrap it up, I'd be worried it would be a rush-job in 2-4 hours.

#488 of 500 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,906 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 03:50 AM

Why would Knauf not want to be involved?? Granted it's not a 13 episode season. But, 4 hours to resolve things is the least he and HBO can do for the fans.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#489 of 500 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Why would Knauf not want to be involved??

Maybe he's moved on. I certainly hope not, but it's possible.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#490 of 500 OFFLINE   Kelly W

Kelly W

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Why would Knauf not want to be involved??
I found this excerpt from a chat transcript. However, I believe this was from a while ago-- the show wasn't officially cancelled yet. He (hopefully) could have changed his mind by now. The relevant part begins with "Regarding a movie..."

-Kelly

Quote:
Since this one's come up more than once, I'll field it right now (but no others--this is the last time I'll be online until the chat tonight).

HBO owns Carnivale. Lock, stock and barrel. They even own the bullets! I created it, and I sold it to them. The characters, the setting, the whole ball of wax. In perpetuity. In all mediums: film, television, books--even mediums that haven't been invented yet. Everywhere in the universe. Known and unknown.

If they cancel, then the show is most likely dead. Unless HBO wants to sell it or allow it to air on a competing network--which I doubt.

Regarding a movie that "wraps things up": if one airs, I certainly won't be part of it. There's a decade of story left, 48 hours of screen-time. Ratcheting it down to a condensed version would be an exercise in futility AND a slap in the face of the fans. Moreover, it would be the worst kind of sell-out in the world.

Believe me, it would be better to leave Carnivale unfinished than finished poorly.

As far as writing a series of books, see the first paragraph. I can't touch these characters without HBO's permission.

So, like it or not, there is no Plan-B. HBO holds *all* the cards.

#491 of 500 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 22 2006 - 09:23 AM

HBO should just license Carnivale out as a series of novels or comic books. The publisher would be the only company taking a chance. If the novels failed, it's meaningless to HBO. They aren't doing anything else with the property so the only thing they have to do is cash a check.

Quote:
Believe me, it would be better to leave Carnivale unfinished than finished poorly.
Phew! I'm glad Knauff thinks that too. If they tried to make a movie, it would just end up a disaster because they'd have to fit everything into essentially two episodes.

#492 of 500 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,906 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 01:48 PM

If Knauf refuses HBO to bring the show back. HBO should make it up to the fans. By bringing Robert Kirkman's comic "Walking Dead" to tv. Posted Image

For those not familiar with Walking Dead. Its a zombie story. But, it's about a group of people surviving a world filled with zombies. For the past 10 or so issues they have been hold up in a prison. Its a very good comic. They just released a hardbound book with the first 20 or so issues.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#493 of 500 OFFLINE   Kelly W

Kelly W

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 02:33 PM

Well, I really hope we get some kind of wrap-up. I would love to buy the DVDs, but the unresolved loose-ends frustrate me. The ideal scenario (mentioned in the article) is that the mini-series/movie does really well and they bring back the series. Hopefully, with that possibility in the air, Daniel Knauf will become interested. (Please, Daniel? Posted Image)

Todd, regarding The Walking Dead-- I love the comic, but did your proposal just come out of left field or is there actually talk of turning it into a series?

-Kelly

#494 of 500 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 02:37 PM

Quote:
Well, I really hope we get some kind of wrap-up. I would love to buy the DVDs, but the unresolved loose-ends frustrate me. The ideal scenario (mentioned in the article) is that the mini-series/movie does really well and they bring back the series.

Well, if they wrapped it up, then there wouldn't need to be a new TV series. So you'd probably get another 2-4 hours with another cliffhanger or at least a lot of loose ends.

#495 of 500 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,906 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 03:10 PM

Quote:
Todd, regarding The Walking Dead-- I love the comic, but did your proposal just come out of left field or is there actually talk of turning it into a series?

Nothing concrete. Over at Image's board. Kirkman's other comic has been optioned as a movie. So the precedent is there. And their have been hints that WD has been discussed. But, with the type of ongoing story it is...plus the subject. Any tv show would have to be on HBO or Showtime.

#496 of 500 OFFLINE   Nicodemus

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 03:21 PM

I believe the complete news was that HBO was planning on making a 4-hour miniseries and if that went over well, they could bring Carnivale back as a series.

#497 of 500 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 05:28 PM

It would be great for Carnivale to be brought back, but how would it work? As it is, it pretty much works - especially if you pretend the last five minutes didn't happen.

But a miniseries that wraps it up? Followed by a new series that follows on from the wrapped up story? I don't see that happening. And I do think the story would take more than 4 hours to complete.

HBO know the quality of the show, they know what the size of the fanbase is like. A mini-series is not likely to attract new viewers, nor will such a brief show satisfy the needs of the fans to find true resolution.

I would love to see Carnivale back on screen, and so would my flatmate. But just as a 4-hour miniseries, I would rather not see it.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#498 of 500 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted December 28 2006 - 09:17 AM

A bit of a thread resurrection for fans of the series. More specifically for fans of the music in Carnivale.

I emailed Jeff Beal months ago (suring the Summer) asking whether the Carnivale Season 2 soundtrack would ever make it out to stores. I adored the first seasons music and Season 2 was even more memorable for me. Considering the shows untimely death, I thought all hope of ever seeing the music released for the second season was lost. Well, I woke up yesterday to an email from Jeff Beal himself. It's a mass emailed message to a list of fans that had requested the soundtrack. I was suprised to say the least. The good news is that Mr. Beal has heard the request from his fans. The even better news is that he has made the entire season 2 soundtrack available for download completely FREE on his website! How's that for caring about fans of your music? A big kudos to Jeff Beal for making this happen and I'd highly recommend grabbing the soundtrack over at his website. It's wonderful work. Listening to it is a great pleasure, but an utterly sad experience because I do so miss Carnivale so very much!

Download the soundtrack right here:

http://www.jeffbeal.....Carnivale.html

#499 of 500 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 28 2006 - 12:47 PM

Damn I miss this show. Posted Image Then again, I guess Tourgasm worked out for HBO well. (sarcasm intended)
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#500 of 500 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted December 28 2006 - 06:32 PM

Thanks, Romier, for the link to the soundtrack. Much appreciated.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow